PvP crashing since update

helix72
helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
In the Smash Hit PvP event, every time I start a battle, the app crashes before I can finish. Every time the app closes and when I re-open it, I have lost the match and lost points.

I was able to play S.H.I.E.L.D. PvP without the same issue, and have played PvE without the issue. It's only in the Smash Hit event.

I tried closing and re-opening the app, tried rebooting the iPad, and tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Nothing fixes it. Please help.

UPDATE: as of 8:23 PM Eastern, this seems to have stopped happening, but I have no idea why. There was nothing I did differently.

Comments

• darkwatcherDEZ
    darkwatcherDEZ Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Confirmed here as well. Experiencing numerous crashes in PVP Smash Hit. Maybe linked to asset load? Turned off character animations, and it still occurs. "Required storage space" for headroom necessary with 54 GB available  
    IOS 12.3.1
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    Who are you using?

I played 10+ battles with Grocket/Gamora and was fine. As soon as I switched to Yondu/Mockingbird I crashed 4 times in a row mid match. Then I switched back to Grocket/Gamora and completed 3 more just fine.

Something about those 2 is a problem and I think it's on match-4 Mockingbird passive trying to activate a power for free.

KGB
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019

I've had three crashes with Hulk, Yondu, Mockingbird.  KGB's guess about Mockingbird's passive sounds like a possibility.  The crashes always seemed to be late match when I'd gathered a fair bit of AP, so her passive would be more likely to fire powers on enemy match-4s.

EDIT: I swapped out Mockingbird for Nova, and managed to complete a match without incident.  I suspect this isn't actually tied to PVP like the thread title suggests: rather that the Hulk PVP is (currently) the only event where people are encouraged to play Mockingbird.

• helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    I believe I was using Nova and Mockingbird. I think you might be on to something.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    It crashed on me in Shield Sim. I was using 4* Carol, America and Valkyrie. And the game crashed another four times when the game was running but I wasn't actually playing.

Oh and it just crashed again while playing Hulk pvp. I used Hulk, Yondu and Mockingbird.
  • LHammer
    LHammer Posts: 97 Match Maker
    edited August 2019
    Two attempts at the Hulk PvP with Yondu and Mockingbird.  Both crashed.  That's okay, I didn't want to get those remaining progression rewards anyways.  I'm sure they'll compensate us with 200 ISO and an Epic token or something.

Update: One more try at Hulk/Yondu/Mockingbird after a long string of PvE that worked just fine, one more crash.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    LHammer said:
    Two attempts at the Hulk PvP with Yondu and Mockingbird.  Both crashed.  That's okay, I didn't want to get those remaining progression rewards anyways.  I'm sure they'll compensate us with 200 ISO and an Epic token or something.

Three standards and a health pack. You're welcome.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards

I experienced another crash using Hulk/Yondu/Nova, but this time I think it was down to the enemy team of Hulk/Carnage/Mr Fantastic. I suspect it was down to Mr F's yellow having the same "fire a random power" mechanic  as Mockingbird.

So I guess I need to skip any enemy teams with Mockingbird or Mr F, in addition to not playing those characters. Let's hope they don't show up in story events before the next title update...

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    Part of me wonders if the crash is due to the fact that the random power is one I hadn't yet used and thus no assets had loaded for it. For example I had yet to use Hulks Red or Yondu's Blue in any of my 4 matches so maybe if one of those got selected it would have caused the crash. Maybe after using them all one time to load the assets the problem will go away.

I won't play again tonight to test but maybe someone else can.

KGB
  • Mrevilcow
    Mrevilcow Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Confirmed here. I was playing the hulk PvP and just making matches, the game just crashes... tried different characters still crashes  after  making a few turns later
  • zeddicus
    zeddicus Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Yep same thing here. Crashes when I am winning.
  • Suddenreal
    Suddenreal Posts: 92 Match Maker
    The app is crashing for me as well, in the DDQ. My team is Mockingbird, Valkyrie and Vulture. I make a match and the app just closes. I think it has something to do with the fact I hit the requirements of Mockinbirds passive (all colors have at least 6 AP).
  • darkwatcherDEZ
    darkwatcherDEZ Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    jamesh said:

I've had three crashes with Hulk, Yondu, Mockingbird.  KGB's guess about Mockingbird's passive sounds like a possibility.  The crashes always seemed to be late match when I'd gathered a fair bit of AP, so her passive would be more likely to fire powers on enemy match-4s.

EDIT: I swapped out Mockingbird for Nova, and managed to complete a match without incident.  I suspect this isn't actually tied to PVP like the thread title suggests: rather that the Hulk PVP is (currently) the only event where people are encouraged to play Mockingbird.

Thanks KGB and jamesh.
    Swapped out Mockingbird and played without crashes . Unfortunate since that was our Hulk rage deterrence. Just adapted strategies, Clearly a bug  with  Mockinbird's passive
  • RentedPanda
    RentedPanda Posts: 95 Match Maker
    I have had 2 crashes in shield sim using medusa, carnage, Mr.F.  assuming it is tied to MrF random power.  Latest crash was exactly as I matched an enemy special, early in match, probably the triggering 4th.  I play with animation turned off.

I don't care a ton, but I am at about 63 wins and these two crashes would have been realllly easy wins on the way to 75.  

Hoping the patch comes soon, the engine update is otherwise really cool, love the crisp graphics, and the new "Nick Blurry" loading screen