Worst 4* character in the game?

Options
13»

Comments

• 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Emma Frost was released in the period when you needed the particular character’s support to finish off their power-set. Wasp and Loki suffered with this too, although Loki’s purple is so good that he’s not terrible. It was a really obnoxious failure of the devs and they should go back and fix it. Btw, yes I know Wasp and EF are awful even with their supports.
  • Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Other (please explain in the comments)
    The only thing I have ever seen Talos do well was make Namor look great.
    To me, it's like going into a cow field and picking which paddy is the most foul smelling. Way too many choices lol. 
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Emma Frost
    Had to pick Emma because even wirh her at 280-something I can't think of what any of her abilities actually do.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Talos
    Kahmon said:
    Had to pick Emma because even wirh her at 280-something I can't think of what any of her abilities actually do.
    Emma's a support character, period, who plays well on an X heavy team. She removes enemy tiles from the board or adds friendly tiles with her repeaters and once those are fortified, she deals more damage. The key is getting her purple and yellow powers on the board before firing her black power. With Kitty and X-Force Deadpool (or your favorite x-man here) on a team, she lowers the threshold number of special tiles Kitty needs to keep boosted per turn. As a support character, she doesn't have a lot of offense, but she synergises well with the correct teams who use her to her advantage. Her main downfall is the cost of her repeaters. If they were 4AP less, she'd probably be used more.

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    658_2 said:
    Emma Frost was released in the period when you needed the particular character’s support to finish off their power-set. Wasp and Loki suffered with this too, although Loki’s purple is so good that he’s not terrible. It was a really obnoxious failure of the devs and they should go back and fix it. Btw, yes I know Wasp and EF are awful even with their supports.
    Yeah kitty came out then too, and is total garbage without lockheed......Shuri too. Without her lab she is total garbage. Ghost, prowler, and dazzler too. Buff em all so we can use them without their supports.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Talos
    I just used Talos in the DDQ node.

Deliberately focused on him, using KK to help him get green and get stronger, and not firing offensive powers for anyone else. Did manage to get Talos to have pretty decent match damage, and it was nice doing something like 5x the damage with his primary colors.

Then I downed someone, the enemy team's strongest color changed, and I had 0 AP in that color, and they had 19, and the match ended due to normal match damage WAY before I had any hopes of swinging that balance back in my favor to boost Talos again. I spent all that time making him strong, and one KO made him instant garbage in the middle of a fight.

I now think less of Talos than I did before.
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    tiomono said:
    658_2 said:
    Yeah kitty came out then too, and is total garbage without lockheed......Shuri too. Without her lab she is total garbage. Ghost, prowler, and dazzler too. Buff em all so we can use them without their supports.
    It’s obvious they significantly tuned down the degree the support was needed after Wasp and EF were clearly unfinished and so poorly received. You think it’s a coincidence the worst 5 and worst 4 came one after another?  It’s not like this wasn’t noticed on the forum.
  • tiomono
    Options
    658_2 said:
    tiomono said:
    658_2 said:
    It’s obvious they significantly tuned down the degree the support was needed after Wasp and EF were clearly unfinished and so poorly received. You think it’s a coincidence the worst 5 and worst 4 came one after another?  It’s not like this wasn’t noticed on the forum.
    No I do not think it was malicious design intent. As I mentioned there were many other characters in that same window with supports designed for them and they are good, great, or meta.

You even say they are still bad with their respective supports. Which throws the whole concept of needing the support for them to be what they should of been right out the window. They are just poorly designed characters.
  • wingX
    wingX Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So far, I think the worst if Emma as I have her at 5/3/4 and I still couldnt find a team for her to work in. My Talos is 0/2/2 so I can't say much about him. As for the rest, they have their use and I have found good team with them:

Lockjaw, beside working well with character like 4*Thor and Bolt, also work well with good team 3*Storm and 3* Bulleye due to his yellow passive. Might work even better if there is a black generator for 3*Storm. One downside is it work only against mover like Cloak & Dagger.

I have discovered a team in which Falcap work well, which is with Scarlet Witch and 5*Hawkeye. His passive really help speed up both their countdown tiles and Hawkeye can generate red for Falcap.

I like using Black Widow as part of a Stunned team include that 4*Gamora and Sandman. This team is a rainbow team that can stun enemies with 3 color and give 2 effects with stun. Sandman's purple can speed up Black Widow's yellow, which in turn make everyone attack cheaper.

She can be used with Mockingbird to have a chance of activating Widow's yellow via Bockingbird's yellow passive to make her tream mates attach cheaper.

I always use Kingpin to generate yellow especially in a team where I want yellow AP but do not want yellow tiles on the board, like with Iron Man 40 and 4*Black Panther's yellow to prevent me matching away my yellow special tiles.

Jubilee work well with other Charge tiles user/maker.

Narmor, after using him at low cover, I still think his purple is not bad and really like it

Prowler seem to work well with Shuri Medusa, Carnage etc

For the last 3, I do not have them at high enough cover and level to fully bring out their potential.

• jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Talos
    Talos by a mile.
  • AndiTi
    AndiTi Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Emma Frost
    Kahmon said:
    Short version:

Purple adds a quickly matched away repeater that takes away stuff and I've never managed to have it go off.
    Yellow adds a quickly matched away repeater that gives mostly useless stuff that I've had go off exactly once.
    Black makes her even more useless than she already is.

Put another way, her powers have actually done something for me 1 time, ever, which is probably similar for most players and why nobody remembers her kit.

Talos, at the very least, has stunned a few times for me.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Talos
     tiomono said:
    658_2 said:
    I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not...I feel like all these characters are already great lol

Frost's synergy perk absolutely feels like it should have been built into Diamond Form. But also DF should have a second-fire nuke that breaks fortifications on the board like Miles and Widow have.
  • tiomono
    Options
     tiomono said:
    658_2 said:
    I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not...I feel like all these characters are already great lol

Frost's synergy perk absolutely feels like it should have been built into Diamond Form. But also DF should have a second-fire nuke that breaks fortifications on the board like Miles and Widow have.
    Yes it was sarcasm. I should of put a "/sarcasm" on it.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Talos
    Lockjaw - Man what? Have you tried this dude with Lady Thor, Black Bolt, Gambit, or any special tile spammer? 

Sam Wilson - Running this guy with a half-Thor when he was boosted recently made me look at him differently. He's still pretty low tier, but he's a lot more versatile than I've given him credit for these past couple of years

Kingpin - I've had way too much fun with countdown tile shenanigans to ever call this guy the worst of the worst. Sure it sucked when his black got nerfed, but I've always used him for his yellow generation and CD fun anyway. The man even feeds his own abilities, which is more than a lot of people on this list can say. 

Widow - I can see where this comes from. Support characters that don't really offer much in the way of damage usually offer something else that makes them pretty dangerous, like Nico passively buffing special tiles every turn, America creating criticals if you're caught with too little AP, or Coulson passively reducing CDs and generating AP. Widow's best ability is a burst heal, and something that requires 10 AP of a specific color in order to reduce the cost of other techniques. Given that people like Star Lord and Shuri can reduce AP costs while bringing more to the table, and other characters offer passive burst healing, I definitely think she could use some tweaking. However - she's one of the few characters in the game that gives me a reason to chase yellow, and with the amount of characters in the game that stun, she's passively stolen quite a lot of AP (albeit random)

Jubilee - I can see where this one comes from as well, though the nostalgia factor of the animated X-Men series during my childhood has me more than a little biased. Her yellow like NEVER comes into play - though this is partially a dilution problem since I'm never really gonna have enough levels on her to tank anything significant, it's still just trash tier ability. Her purple is way too expensive, both for the damage the nuke portion does, and also for the color-changing aspect that rarely does anything. Her green is also pretty meh - there's more efficient ways to replace special tiles, and randomly placing charged tiles on the board has marginal benefit unless you have a squad member that takes advantage of them. Trash, but still leagues better than Talos. 

Emma Frost - Man do I hate have some strong feelings for this character. But at the end of the day, she has abilities that play well with other characters I like. Shuri and BP/Luke can have fun with her fortified tiles. There are a plethora of other characters who can play with the special tiles her yellow creates if you can keep them on the board, so there's that as well. Those repeater tiles though..... they make Captain Marvel look good.

Prowler/Namor - I can't speak on these guys as much since I don't have them champed, but I've seen enough to know without a doubt that they are better than Talos. My 0/3/0 Namor is probably better than a champed Talos.  
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Emma Frost
    I actually like Jubilee, Widow, and Lockjaw enough to consider them solidly mid-tier. Widow's purple and Lockjaw's blue both suck, but their other abilities are good. 

I think Emma is the worst, though I haven't used Talos much. I just don't get what Emma... does. She's the 4* version of 5* Captain Marvel. It's all delayed gratification counters. And they don't even do much useful!