Worst 5* character in the game?

Options
2»

Comments

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 441 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wasp
    Wasp. She has no synergy with any character in the game. And we have a huge roster. 
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wasp
    Very limited offensive capability. She dies more often than not before she even gets one Swarm tile on the board. She's about as helpful for team synergy as Talos is on the 4 star side, and at least Talos has a stun. If we ever get character rebalances, she's at the top of my list of things Demi should do.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Other (please explain)
    Gambit, because it burns. Not only is he a shell of his former self, but thinking about him bothers me. That's worse, to me, than a character just being weak. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wasp
    Very limited offensive capability. She dies more often than not before she even gets one Swarm tile on the board. She's about as helpful for team synergy as Talos is on the 4 star side, and at least Talos has a stun. If we ever get character rebalances, she's at the top of my list of things Demi should do.
    The thing about Wasp is that I don't think she is really fixable whereas most of the other lame 5* are. Unless we get some sort of 5* Ant Man there is exactly zero reason ever for anybody else to interact with or create swarm tiles. The entire mechanism is pointless and if I was the Devs I would simply blow that off as one of the ones that didn't work out rather than waste precious time and resources attempting to fix that mess.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wasp
    It is pretty hard to decide which is worst as KP, Hulk and Wasp are really really bad. I voted Wasp because on top of being bad she is boring and it is worse than her 4 (KP 4 is also bad now and Hulk is at least kinda fun to play, with the transformation, etc.).

I was also tempted of adding Carol to the trio, but at least her match damage is great, but that's it, a part from that she is also useless.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Borstock said:
    Gambit, because it burns. Not only is he a shell of his former self, but thinking about him bothers me. That's worse, to me, than a character just being weak. 

This is an interesting point. Objectively, Wasp is the worst character in the game, but she's always been that way. She started off as a horribly designed character with a unique mechanic that doesn't work. No one chased her or got excited about her. In fact, they gave away her covers as a feeder while she was still in latests. 

Gambit started off good, and people chased him. Everyone had a Gambit. Then they "nerfed" him and made him even better! More people chased him. Then there was the $2/cp "bug" and people chased him even more. Champed Gambits everywhere! Then they pulled a Ramsey Bolton on him and turned Theon Greyjoy into Reek and a good part of the population simply sold this worthless toon...

So yeah, Wasp is objectively the worst character, but the life cycle of anyone who lived through Gambit's mess has to leave a longer, bitter taste in the mouth.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Hulk
    I still think Banner is the worst 5* in the game.  His black does almost as much damage to you as it does the enemy.  His Hulk Green AOE is poor compared to other 5* and when Hulk loses all his health and transforms to Banner he triggers court death so you could theoretically get hit with court death 3 times in a match.

i also get people’s point about Wasp, but I feel she is just under powered instead of bad. Her blue is a decent AP steal, she turns an ally invisible, and her black gives her back health.  Yes it is not true heal but it damages he enemy and burst heals her which is a nice swing.  Her Call the swarm is just too expensive for the damage it does.  The difference from Banner is she does have 4 useful abilities that are basically mediocre.

Banner has a bad black, a mediocre green, and a passive that is underwhelming.  

I only use both when essential, but when I champed each one and was trying them out in simulator I found Wasp more usable than Banner.  And that is why I feel Banner worst followed by Wasp.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wasp
    How the heck did Archangel or Ghost Rider even make this list?  They aren't top tier but they are both mid-tier. Kingpin should have at least been in one of their places.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wasp
    Warbringa said:
    How the heck did Archangel or Ghost Rider even make this list?  They aren't top tier but they are both mid-tier. Kingpin should have at least been in one of their places.
    Yeah, so, in reality I expected I could just make the poll The Hulk, Wasp, or Other, but that seemed like too few options so I added a couple others. Based on feedback, Kingpin and Captain Countdown absolutely should have been on the list, but I still think neither would have won over Hulk or Wasp.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Wasp
    4* polls would be interesting. 

Talos would be my vote for worst.
    Bishop for best probably.

Its too easy with Wasp in the 5s, she is just so bad.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wasp
    wymtime said:
    I still think Banner is the worst 5* in the game.  His black does almost as much damage to you as it does the enemy.  His Hulk Green AOE is poor compared to other 5* and when Hulk loses all his health and transforms to Banner he triggers court death so you could theoretically get hit with court death 3 times in a match.

i also get people’s point about Wasp, but I feel she is just under powered instead of bad. Her blue is a decent AP steal, she turns an ally invisible, and her black gives her back health.  Yes it is not true heal but it damages he enemy and burst heals her which is a nice swing.  Her Call the swarm is just too expensive for the damage it does.  The difference from Banner is she does have 4 useful abilities that are basically mediocre.

Banner has a bad black, a mediocre green, and a passive that is underwhelming.  

I only use both when essential, but when I champed each one and was trying them out in simulator I found Wasp more usable than Banner.  And that is why I feel Banner worst followed by Wasp.
    His black is comparable to thanos for percentage damage done to his own team vs enemy team but he doesn't stun everyone for 2 turns. He does have a mediocre green. But I dont mind his transformation passive. 

He is my 3rd in simulator. I like to run gritty with banner. His black is fairly cheap to force specials on the enemy for kitty to destroy. The attacks for your team just add to the buff train. It's a decently effective trio. Granted gritty does the lifting but banner fills in with a very kitty complimentary black. And if he transforms that's extra matches for groots strikes to abuse. 
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wasp
    Easily WASP, so bad that her 4* version is better than her 

the only time she is used is as an essential 

the only way to make her useful will be a complete rewrite like they did with Mr Fantastic 
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Wasp

the only way to make her useful will be a complete rewrite like they did with Mr Fantastic 
    All of her powers are tied into the Swarm tile mechanic so it would be a much deeper rework than Mr. F. Even if you lower the thresholds, up her match damage gained or add extra damage it is all tied into a mechanic that has no utility across MPQ with any other character - at this point you might as well just put your time and resources into a brand new character the player base might pay to chase. The history of MPQ shows us that powers need to be able to be used across a spectrum of characters because the platform is limited - for example it is no coincidence that Spider characters all pretty much have the web tile gimmick going on, so unless we are getting more Bee/Bug themed characters then swarm tiles are useless for synergies.
  • Borstock
    Options
    Other (please explain)
    DAZ0273 said:

All of her powers are tied into the Swarm tile mechanic so it would be a much deeper rework than Mr. F. Even if you lower the thresholds, up her match damage gained or add extra damage it is all tied into a mechanic that has no utility across MPQ with any other character - at this point you might as well just put your time and resources into a brand new character the player base might pay to chase. The history of MPQ shows us that powers need to be able to be used across a spectrum of characters because the platform is limited - for example it is no coincidence that Spider characters all pretty much have the web tile gimmick going on, so unless we are getting more Bee/Bug themed characters then swarm tiles are useless for synergies.
    I don't think she needs that big of a rewrite, tbh. Probably just needs a passive that puts down more swarm tiles. Then re-do the costs on some of her powers so that they get cheaper the more swarm tiles are on the board.  Like someone else said, her powers aren't bad. They're just tied to a painfully slow mechanic because she's the only character that uses those tiles.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Wasp
    Borstock said:
    DAZ0273 said:

I don't think she needs that big of a rewrite, tbh. Probably just needs a passive that puts down more swarm tiles. Then re-do the costs on some of her powers so that they get cheaper the more swarm tiles are on the board.  Like someone else said, her powers aren't bad. They're just tied to a painfully slow mechanic because she's the only character that uses those tiles.
    But why would the Devs bother? Swarm tiles are a dead-end development wise, she is pretty easy to discard. Who knows though.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Wasp
    helix72 said:
    Warbringa said:
    Yeah, so, in reality I expected I could just make the poll The Hulk, Wasp, or Other, but that seemed like too few options so I added a couple others. Based on feedback, Kingpin and Captain Countdown absolutely should have been on the list, but I still think neither would have won over Hulk or Wasp.
    I think Captain Marvel isn't great but certainly not worst by long shot.  I use her often simply for that amazing match damage and as a tank for wounded 5Thor lol. People forget that match damage is an actually very valuable and I estimate that most of the damage I do in a match is through matches, not powers, especially with 5* Thor.  I rarely fire more than one or two powers using this combo and a few passive from Dr. Strange or JJ for example.  
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Warbringa said:
    helix72 said:
    Warbringa said:
    I think Captain Marvel isn't great but certainly not worst by long shot.  I use her often simply for that amazing match damage and as a tank for wounded 5Thor lol. People forget that match damage is an actually very valuable and I estimate that most of the damage I do in a match is through matches, not powers, especially with 5* Thor.  I rarely fire more than one or two powers using this combo and a few passive from Dr. Strange or JJ for example.  
    This is particularly true for the VAST majority of players who aren't in 5* land. I'm a 4* player and use 5*s all the time (especially with America Chavez). I love Cpt. Marvel (boosted)! And my whole game as a noob back in the day consisted of using BB, my one 5*, in every match...
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Wasp
    Yepyep said:
    Warbringa said:
    helix72 said:
    Warbringa said:
    This is particularly true for the VAST majority of players who aren't in 5* land. I'm a 4* player and use 5*s all the time (especially with America Chavez). I love Cpt. Marvel (boosted)! And my whole game as a noob back in the day consisted of using BB, my one 5*, in every match...
    Yeah, without a functioning Gritty my best bet is usually R4G/Gamora + 5* for clearing PvE nodes and whilst I will use Thor if he is half health as his board destruction is quick and doesn't have Thanos drawback I'll happilly sub in the boosted 5 of the day if their match damage is tasty, so CM works just fine there.
  • Borstock
    Options
    Other (please explain)
    DAZ0273 said:
    Borstock said:
    DAZ0273 said:

But why would the Devs bother? Swarm tiles are a dead-end development wise, she is pretty easy to discard. Who knows though.
    I didn't say they should, just that they could fairly easily. And the only reason swarm tiles are useless is because they didn't give anyone else swarm powers. Since they are still releasing new characters, all it would take is 2 or 3 that do and you have a viable team. Marvel has a microverse of characters and love their insect themes.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wasp
    Warbringa said:
    helix72 said:
    Warbringa said:

When 5* Star Lord came out, he had middling powers but had the highest match damage in the tier.  He even maintained that lead for a few releases afterwards.  Now he just has the middling powers and average match damage.

If they had kept to the original plan of having three match damage tiers for 5* characters (support, normal, and tank), then it'd make a lot more sense to put more weight on high match damage.  As it is, we've got no idea how long Captain Marvel will maintain her advantage.