Worst 5* character in the game?

Options
helix72
helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
Someone asked for it, so here it is: who is the biggest waste of space in the 5* MPQ universe?

Worst 5* character in the game? 113 votes

Archangel
0%
Yasuru 1 vote
Ghost Rider
0%
Star-Lord
2%
DyingLegendBigSoftieFFfurbear00000 3 votes
The Hulk
13%
wymtimeoptimus2861pheregasLopan15The Viceroy Returnsjym010therightwayeBubba3210thatgyemartindjperry1973Shintok17Projectus2501Ares76skittledaddyMrmjchess1 15 votes
Wasp
78%
PuceMoosePolaresfreakygeekKolencesinnerjflkillercoolthedarkphoenixxKOBALTxIridiousMarc_SpectorDeNappaabmorazNajboljimoss04MrBowersejmusgrunth13divouneChipster22CT1888 89 votes
Other (please explain)
4%
MalcrofJackDeath666BorstockNotBAMFSaltyK 5 votes

Comments

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Hulk
    At least Wasp has match damage.   Hulk's powers cost too much and he transforms too slowly.  Not to mention half the time he's boosted they only boost Banner and forget to boost his Hulk form.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wasp
    To me it's either Fi5k or Wa5p, and for this I went Wa5p.

I use 5* Lord (5/1/3) daily with Thano5 & 4ocket on fast clears, so he at least has that use. But I don't need him to be any higher leveled than he is, and he only gets that useage to pump the 4ocket strikes up.

I've gone up against Archangels that seem fine, but not great. 

Hulk is a good meat shield if you have a purple and aren't a 5* player. Prior to the release of Kitty and Hela, I suspect he wouldn't have been the worst transition 5* either since he essentially has a second health pool, and there are 3 and 4* options for gaining green and shortening countdowns. 

Gho5t Rider is far from the worst 5*. He isn't fast, but he has 3 attacks, one of which gathers his AP over time, one of which hits very hard, and a stun that does good chip damage. 1v1, in a hypothetical Cra5h of the Titans, I'd put him up against any other similarly leveled 5.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Hulk and  kingpin are very weak. 

Rescue, star-lord, doc oc, and cw cap are pretty weak too, but have some nice abilities.

Ghost Rider and archangel are firmly planted in the mid tier and probably do not deserve to be on this list.

Wasp is by far the most useless 5* in the game.  At least you can plan around proc'ing KP's blue for decent damage.  Or have some fun with banner's transform mechanic.  Wasp has nothing.  Even if you leverage her swarm mechanic to the hilt, it still takes forever and you get modest 4* tier damage + some boardshake.  She is just absolutely worthless.

4* wasp is a better character than 5* wasp.  Not "would be much better as a 5*," or "is much better at the same level." I mean that 4* wasp at 270 provides more value to your team than 5* wasp at 450, even counting the match damage.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wasp
    It's Wasp.

Also, please feel free to check my mini-series Fix a 5* in the Characters sub-forum.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    4* wasp is a better character than 5* wasp.  Not "would be much better as a 5*," or "is much better at the same level." I mean that 4* wasp at 270 provides more value to your team than 5* wasp at 450, even counting the match damage.
    Kind of off-topic, but 4* Wasp is absolutely top-tier among 4*s and certainly better than 5* Wasp. There are several 4*s who are better than the bottom-feeder 5*s. Iceman, Cpt. Marvel, Peggy, and a couple others are all better than the worst 5*s.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wasp
    Yepyep said:
    Vhailorx said:
    Kind of off-topic, but 4* Wasp is absolutely top-tier among 4*s and certainly better than 5* Wasp. There are several 4*s who are better than the bottom-feeder 5*s. Iceman, Cpt. Marvel, Peggy, and a couple others are all better than the worst 5*s.
    Of course 4* Wasp didn't start that way. So maybe there is hope for Hope. One day.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wasp
    Wasp. I am one cover away from champing her, which I will get from Antman in short order and I refuse to dump the ISO in to champ her.

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wasp
    Wasp, easy.

Two of Banner's powers are pretty useless (well, his attacks are pretty decent, but just not worth the drawback of giving the enemy some too), but actually going Hulk and getting the extra match isn't bad if you work with it. Throw out some strikes, give him something to match (JJ's traps work nicely), and try to keep Hulk out front so he can absorb damage, Banner can actually be useful despite having an underwhelming kit otherwise. Honestly, I'll take him into a fight before some of the more "average" 5's like Iron Man or Cap.

Kingpin is clunky, but his powers CAN combo together. That's the big thing that puts him above Wasp, is that it's possible to build a Kingpin team that makes use of his abilities.

But Wasp can't even effectively combo her own powers together, and due to their nature they don't pair well with anyone else, either. It's a shame Ant-Man doesn't use Swarm mechanics so they could combo off of each other, but a change that made Ant-Man more or less the same (but with Swarm tiles) would only improve Wasp to "only good with Ant-Man" (with no guarantee you'd pick her over anyone else), so that's not exactly a grand plan to fix her. As neat as the idea is on paper, I think she'd be better without the Swarm mechanic at all.

It'd be kinda nice if we got a 5* Scott Lang that reflected his time as Giant Man, and it came with a rework of Hope so that she worked well with the new 5*.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wasp
    I run hulk consistently with gritty. Focus on matching green early if the board cooperates so I can get his passive damage adding onto those beefy strikes. If its heavy black on the board I avoid green like the plague so I can get his attacks out for the enemy so kitty can pop em for more damage. He may be pretty low in usefulness for most but I like him. 

Wasp is just her own tier 4.5, not on the level of the 5's but health and match damage raise her above the 4's.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wasp
    All of the other 5* on the list can do things (even if they aren't great things), but Wasp just seems to do nothing. I see her every now and then in the Sim, and I always try to engage these teams, just to see if she does *anything*. I don't think I've ever taken any noticeable damage from her, even when saving her for last. She usually gets one bee tile out, then dies.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Wasp
    That 4.5 tier has some really hot 4*s in it; I’d say Wa5p is on par with some of the more mid tier 4s maybe
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wasp
    That 4.5 tier has some really hot 4*s in it; I’d say Wa5p is on par with some of the more mid tier 4s maybe
    True. 4.05 maybe.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I’m shocked that mid-tier/niche characters made the list (GR, AA, SL) while the Kingpins, Rescues and Civil War releases didn’t make the cut. I’d of also put Captain Repeater on the list as I’d imagine quite a few would vote for her as worst, based on expectations being unmet. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wasp
    Is Rescue actually that bad? I only have 3 covers so can't really tell but she doesn't seem completely useless like Wasp.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wasp
    I’m shocked that mid-tier/niche characters made the list (GR, AA, SL) while the Kingpins, Rescues and Civil War releases didn’t make the cut. I’d of also put Captain Repeater on the list as I’d imagine quite a few would vote for her as worst, based on expectations being unmet. 
    Rescue isn't that bad.  She's not speeding things up much, but she does have the red which can give multiple hits for 6 AP - very useful with Okoye.

I agree that Kingpin should have been on the list but I still think he is marginally better than Wasp.

Captain Marvel also should have been on the list, but I did find a way to make her work (kind of) with Cable and....someone.....just for kicks in Sim.  

Wasp's tile locking is annoying and her setup takes forever and she provides basically 0 chances for synergy or to build a team around / with her.  She is 100% the worst character in the tier.

IMO Star Lord and GRRR don't belong on the OP's list, but as long as Wasp is on there, it's good enough.
  • Palookaville
    Palookaville Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    Wasp
    Poll should have been who is second worst 5* (we all know Wasp is the worst by a long long way)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Wasp
    Was Doc Ock's rework successful? people seemed to hate on him quite a bit before, but not so much now. I personally liked his old build, but I only have a few covers on him so it's not like i had that much actual seat time with him
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Was Doc Ock's rework successful? people seemed to hate on him quite a bit before, but not so much now. I personally liked his old build, but I only have a few covers on him so it's not like i had that much actual seat time with him
    Successful how?  Is he as bad as he was? Probably not.  Is he anywhere near being a valuable 5*?  Not really imo.  His black is far too expensive, and his green is still very very slow and pretty weak compared to direct effect powers.  (it's a cute design idea that is utterly useless in mpq because long matches don't mesh well with mpq's scoring system or grinding requirement).  His blue is arguably a lot better now though.  So that's something.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wasp
    He was never that bad to begin with. Just too gimmicky, with the interesting things (being stunned with tentacles out giving you free matches, or pulling off his insta-win green) being too difficult to accomplish. His new green suffers from the meta (it's a healing green in a world where people are using Thor, where he has a more offensive green and you don't want to heal him, nevermind things like healing and protects being sub-optimal in MPQ across the board). But his blue is solid damage. If you can protect his countdown the black isn't bad, damage and strikes got better and the cost goes down if you have tentacles out, but the stun was better on the old version (and was one of the main reasons you'd choose to use it in the first place).
  • theomen
    theomen Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    Wasp
    It's totally Wasp. I wonder if she'll ever be fixed.