Worst 4* character in the game?

Options
PuceMoose
PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
This is a direct offshoot from Helix72's thread, worst 5* character in the game. I was limited to 9 poll options (plus an other), so I've tried to include the nine worst (I excluded limited characters, like Devil Dino or Howard). If I missed your most hated 4*, please select other and list him or her in the comments. 

Worst 4* character in the game? 104 votes

Lockjaw
2%
Skymediumbonny79DyingLegend 3 votes
Sam Wilson (Captain America)
5%
sinnerjflJackDeath666mega ghostelko90theomenAcemontiero 6 votes
Kingpin
4%
DeNappathechairmanskittledaddyEd_Dragonriderdad2my3 5 votes
Black Widow
1%
Yasuruturbomoose 2 votes
Jubilee
2%
jneidusFriarbundyChitown 3 votes
Namor
0%
Prowler
0%
Projectus2501 1 vote
Emma Frost
26%
Dragon_NexusKolencekillercoolIridiousAXP_ismeUNC_Samurairdvargas1WarbringaLLohmLopan15_VittobluewolfKGBcraig88crackninjadramatistNotBAMFKahmonShintok17furbear00000 28 votes
Talos
49%
PuceMooseBearVengerabmorazNajboljiMrBowersZootSaxjackstar0optimus2861Staalsn25phillyJHawkIncrg72BoyWonder1914METT-T dependentMushroomGenius808Screen MonkeyBubba3210qandolsReecohpstar782004 51 votes
Other (please explain in the comments)
4%
acescrackedtiomonoMalcrofTony_FootTherealsmkspy 5 votes

Comments

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Talos
    Everyone else has some use, even if it is limited.

I don’t think Namor and Lockjaw deserve to be on the list. They aren’t great, but I don’t think they are trash tier.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Black Widow
    Black widow is only useful for recharging the health of her teammates. But when you reach 5* matches health bonuses don’t really help much 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Options
    BW, talos, Emma, kraven are the traditional weaklings.

Some other characters like jubilee, wiccan, namor, and nebula seem pretty weak to my, but I would need to play them more to be sure.

I think Emma and talos are the worst two.  Even when you build to leverage all their abilities, they just don't do very well.

Some other former trashcans are now just useful enough to escape this list (Brock, fantastic, etc).

• spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Talos
    Prowler doesn't deserve to be on that poll. Paired with the right partners, he is a beast not to be trifled with. Medusa, Prowler and Carnage is a fun team to play against any non Gritty's you encounter.

Talos though? That dumpster fire of a character is the 5 star Wasp of the 4 star tier. No synergy. No offensive powers, period. His teammates die, he may as well just die with them, because you're not winning that match with him.
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Emma Frost
    I picked Emma, due to the crushing disappointment of her uselessness. She had been requested for so long, unlike Talos, who was obviously just a movie tie in. It makes sense to have tie ins, but I don’t remember seeing anybody actually campaign for him to be in the game. 

Emma though, comes under the bracket of “Most requested characters since the start of the game”
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Emma Frost
    Talos is a real mess, granted, but I think Emma is worse. At least Talos has utility with his stun. Outside of the scenario where Emma covers all the missing colours in a team i’m struggling to think of a time when I would pick her above Talos and I would never pick Talos. 

Her powers are slow and there are much better alternatives, though this is also true for Talos. I’d rather use a 3*. 
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Emma Frost
    Black widow is only useful for recharging the health of her teammates. But when you reach 5* matches health bonuses don’t really help much 
    She can be great with 5*s, mostly for cost reduction and stun (that drains enemy AP). Fake healing not so much, though when boosted it's not that bad either. 

I've voted Emma, because it's one of the biggest disappointments in the game for me. Great opportunity to have some unique mechanics, but she ended up with repeaters and then done very poorly.

I'm not so sure what Talos even does, though. So he might be as bad or worse.

Also, Flaptain is still a contender for this particular title, after all this time. He at least has some uses with speeding up CD's for instance, plus an expensive nuke that's often an overkill, but still. A nuke is a nuke.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Talos
    Talos has almost no redeeming qualities that I can think of.

Kingpin is terrible but pair him with XPool and you can get his Black servicable. His yellow is fine also, just slow

Flaptain - IF you ever get his red to work it is deadly but he is quite bad otherwise.

So that leaves Emma and really, I would take her in a team in a heartbeat over the galaxies most useless spy.

So yeah, Talos, even the devs skipped him in ST.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    jamesh said:
    While she's not great, she offers more than that.  Lowering power costs is nothing to sniff at.  And her ability to remove special tiles comes in handy.  In the current Valkyrie PVP tournament, I've used her to force a few Professor X's out of hiding.
    No, lowering power cost via an active power IS something to sniff at.  It's just too inefficient. 

If you play her on team that cares about other colors, and you happen to collect yellow from Cascades, fine.  It's nice to have cheaper powers. 

But you should never design a team to collect yellow AP so that you can use it to make other powers cheaper.  That is a waste of time and effort.  You are better off with a team that can use the yellow AP for some direct effect. 

Also, much of the meta right now is a passive one.  So reducing active costs is less valuable than it otherwise might me.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Talos
    Vhailorx said:
    jamesh said:
    While she's not great, she offers more than that.  Lowering power costs is nothing to sniff at.  And her ability to remove special tiles comes in handy.  In the current Valkyrie PVP tournament, I've used her to force a few Professor X's out of hiding.
    No, lowering power cost via an active power IS something to sniff at.  It's just too inefficient. 

If you play her on team that cares about other colors, and you happen to collect yellow from Cascades, fine.  It's nice to have cheaper powers. 

But you should never design a team to collect yellow AP so that you can use it to make other powers cheaper.  That is a waste of time and effort.  You are better off with a team that can use the yellow AP for some direct effect. 

Also, much of the meta right now is a passive one.  So reducing active costs is less valuable than it otherwise might me.
    I might use her with Sabretooth once I have him up to speed, he gets some healing then and his cheap powers become even more spammable.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Talos
    Funny people mentioning 3s they would take into battle over Talos, I would legitimately choose Juggernaut over him if it came down to it. He is just that bad. There isn’t a tier in the game where you can’t find a better alternative.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Talos
    I've never seen the utility in Jubilee (i don't have a functional Bolt or Gambit, so she is just there to help L4dy Thor and Lockjaw get going) or bl4ck Widow (there are just other, better support characters in the tier for how I play), but Talos seems extra useless to me. I actually kind of like Flaptain, particularly between P4nther/Shuri, I just wish his countdown passive were extended to include repeaters.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Talos
    I think even if Devil Dinosaur was included (Howard, Taskmaster & even Spider-Ham all have more utility, IMO), it would still be a two-horse race between Emma and Talos.  For me, Emma is a decent concept, but poorly executed.  Meanwhile, I'm not sure what Talos is even supposed to add to a team.  I've only used him once when he wasn't required and that was just to shapeshift into Galactus alongside Mystique when I was screwing around.  Other than that, I honestly can't think of a situation I'd want to use him in, as even if I just wanted a shapeshifter Mystique is objectively better (and she's not very good at all, without having an AI feeder by her side).

On a side note, I do wonder if Captain Falcon and Blonde Widow would be slightly better regarded if they both didn't have troll-y Crash of the Titans battles against non-fictionally-appropriate opponents with hard-counters to their abilities.   

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    jamesh said:

I'm not saying she's top tier or anything: just that she has enough utility to not be on the bottom of the pile (what this topic is all about).  There are other characters who simply don't seem to behave the way the developers hoped.

• Vhailorx
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Vhailorx said:
    jamesh said:

I might use her with Sabretooth once I have him up to speed, he gets some healing then and his cheap powers become even more spammable.
    Nah, you should just collect more red AP to cast sabretooth red again.  Collecting the AP to fuel BW to cast saber red is a waste of time (I have been saying this since original 4*SL).

And if you really want a yellow outlet to imrprove sabretooth, im40 will make a bigger impact every time.