MPQ Sneak Peek: June 2019 Edition *Updated (6/24/19)

Comments

• Freelancer
    Freelancer Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    At least Magik was in tokens for a while before she showed up in Shield Training. Ronin only went in at the start of this season...
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    At this point, Ronin being E4 for Shield Training is not an Oversight like Magik was, but is really INTENDED.
    That speaks volume about the consideration d3 has for the playerbase.
    Furthermore they took back supports and increase costumes  :D what kind of weeds are they smoking there?  :#
    The result is really sad : Each passing day I feel more the need to give up for good 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    Funny sense of humour.. getting a new character is an Infinite Pursuit..
    The game itself is an Infinity Pursuit. 

mind blown 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well the good news is that as I don't have Ronin at 209 I get to save iso by not bothering to move Kingpin up there and he should therefore be done as a required character for a good while so I can safely return to ignoring him. :)
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are many angles to consider.

1) I heard that the devs is anti-hoarding. So, this could be one of their anti-hoarding strategies.

They put in two older characters and a newer one. So, the players have to make a choice whether they want to cover the newer one in order to get the cover for the newest character. If they don't, they miss out on up to 4 nodes, assuming they have the older ones at 209.

2) Another angle to look at this is this is a give-and-take scenario. The devs put in two older characters, where most vets would have them at 209 by now. However, most players have to break their hoards if they really want to get that latest 4* cover.
    Sometimes, the devs will throw in all 3 older characters so that the players will be happy.

For me, I could BH Ronin and open my LTs to get him to 10. Or I could just ignore the last 4 nodes and move on.

• DAZ0273
    I think all of those above could be legitimate reasons but I am far more convinced that what @JFisch says is 100% more likely.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 718 Critical Contributor
    Well my 1/2/8 Ronin isn't excited for the purple cover in prog... even with BH it can be hard to get a lvl 209 char in the time they expect.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    The devs know that the number of 4's in the game forces players to make hard choices in terms of who to cover, where to use iso, etc.  As of next Thursday you'll need 1,053 covers to get 13 for each non-limited 4.  810 to get everyone to 10 covers.  At 1% odds thats..... well, 810 Legendary pulls perfectly divided amongst all 4s in the game.

Making older characters - many of whom are not doing much for your roster and veeerrryyy rarely essential for PVE (about once every year to 18 months) essential for ST is on the one hand not bad for a lot of vets (if by vets you specifically mean the top end players who have been going hard for years).  On the other hand, it's a big incentive for newer people to chase at least the first 10 covers for a lot of characters given that the ST is fairly unpredictable.

It's always worth remembering that every choice or change the game developers make impacts a huge range of rosters, and sometimes very differently.

And while it seems like the choice was driven by the schedule to run Ronin this time, the fact is that Magik is a reward now, and she is not a Latest 3 (she's like a Latest 5), so doesn't fit the previous pattern of Latest 3 then 2 Vintage.  And then they went to Ronin.  Someone made some choices here that led to this situation.
  • DAZ0273
    bluewolf said:
    The devs know that the number of 4's in the game forces players to make hard choices in terms of who to cover, where to use iso, etc.  As of next Thursday you'll need 1,053 covers to get 13 for each non-limited 4.  810 to get everyone to 10 covers.  At 1% odds thats..... well, 810 Legendary pulls perfectly divided amongst all 4s in the game.

Making older characters - many of whom are not doing much for your roster and veeerrryyy rarely essential for PVE (about once every year to 18 months) essential for ST is on the one hand not bad for a lot of vets (if by vets you specifically mean the top end players who have been going hard for years).  On the other hand, it's a big incentive for newer people to chase at least the first 10 covers for a lot of characters given that the ST is fairly unpredictable.

It's always worth remembering that every choice or change the game developers make impacts a huge range of rosters, and sometimes very differently.

And while it seems like the choice was driven by the schedule to run Ronin this time, the fact is that Magik is a reward now, and she is not a Latest 3 (she's like a Latest 5), so doesn't fit the previous pattern of Latest 3 then 2 Vintage.  And then they went to Ronin.  Someone made some choices here that led to this situation.
    Patterns mean nothing at this point. If there are no guaranteed rules for Shield Training and the Devs can shift focus as they see fit why should there be for anything else in the game?
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    Usually I don’t agree with the Shield Training complaints...however, the tactics are clearly pointed at heavy spending to keep up with the curve. I understand the need to turn a profit but lately it seems like an autopilot lazy road is the only way they care about.

I can’t even focus my resources on characters I want to use...and I spend more than I should (probably way above average) on the game.It is starting to tax my patience for sure, especially when they keep taking stuff away and not giving anything new.
  • Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2019
    ST already targeted the "10%" that have built up their rosters through years of play, now it has change to target the 1% that burns money on the game.

I'm just too apathetic after four years of slog to get riled up over what the game keeps devolving into...plain ole autopilot siphoning what cash they can from us while it lasts as others have said. 
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    another ignored shield training? 
    sadly nothing new
  • Doragon
    Doragon Posts: 55 Match Maker
    edited June 2019
    If the forums are full of the veterans complaining, but their sales figure for their in-game products have not gone down, I don't think the developers will make any major changes because it still works. They're comfortable. I'm guessing Brigby and IceIX are their PR guys, so it's not like they have much influence over what the developers have planned.

In the end, we have to vote with our wallets and stop buying that much for them to start to lower prices and care for the community more - which let's face it, if they start selling 18 4* covers + 6,000HP for $50 (Young Avengers bundle), sales are going to go through the roof.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Is it a requirement or compulsory for the devs to ensure that most vet players (however you define it) are able to complete all 12 middle nodes without them monetising from those group of players?

It's something like "They can monetize from other groups of players, but don't ever touch us, or else we will be pissed off."

• DAZ0273

@Bluewolf is correct.

Of course, the Dev’s are free to attempt to chase dollars in any way they see fit but it is normally a bad strategy to aggressively change course on a previously established pattern without explanation/feedback to an established customer base. This doesn’t just apply to free to play internet based games, it applies to all walks of life. There has been either a miscommunication on the forums or a walk back. Until it is clarified which it is, customers are going to lose trust and those already looking for reasons to criticise are rubbing their hands with glee (Yeah – I think we can all agree that there are people watching developments on this board that are actively pleased when the Dev’s screw something up).

@HoundofShadow – so if the Devs are free to aggressively monetise a targeted customer base, that customer base are free to cry foul about it. Fair is fair - why do only the Devs get to have it their way in your scenario? Not me personally, I’m used not to being able to complete these things but for those who could before and now can’t, this forum is their feedback and they are seeking an answer it seems.