Spending 3.5k CP and 56LT's - need advice

peterdark
peterdark Posts: 151 Tile Toppler

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice/insight/views on where I am in the game. Currently I have all 3 stars champed, with the main ones I use between lvl 200 - 215. I have about 13 x 4 stars left to roster (got one on the vine and enough HP to roster that one) and 2 x 5 stars with one cover. 

I can just about rank top 50 in PVE and I do PVP up to the 4 star reward. I'm steadily getting HP for rostering, and am sitting on 56 LT's and about 3.5k CP. 

Been looking forward to opening these tokens and using CP but having waited so long I don't want to go over the top and open these 'too early'. 

My plan is to get all the roster slots for the remaining 4 stars then use the cp's until I get a 5 star. Roster them then repeat. Sounds ok so far right? Given that the majority of the 4 stars I have are barely covered (I have an x force wolvie that is championable but sitting at lvl 210) should I be concentrating on scl 8 for the extra 3 star covers to get the average level up? My main concern is getting multiple 5 stars and really skewing pvp match-ups, it's taking a lot of time getting to 40.

Any thoughts or ideas I haven't considered would be great.

Comments

• peterdark
    Forgot to mention, I was going to wait until there was a stronger line-up before opening the LT's, whenever that may be.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you don't level the 5* then you should be OK rostering them and it wont skew your MMR too much. 4* Champs will however make life easier in PvP but you should try and target those which will be most effective (and any good ones that can gain covers from champ rewards from early tiers) - a good target would be 4* Cap Marvel who you can gain covers through 3* Marvel who in turn is fed by 2* Marvel. You could accelerate that pace with bonus heroes also.

Not sure what your SCL is but also be aware that once you reach a certain level you will be locked out of lower SCL in PvP and if you are rostering 4* then your XP will mount up quickly (likewise 5*)

Your next bottleneck is actually going to be iso, it takes a lot of iso to champ 4*.
  • peterdark
    Thanks for that. I've got quite a lot of iso saved but I'm pretty certain it won't be enough to champ everyone. 

The issue I have though is that I'm not sure how many useable 4 stars i'll have when I starting spending cp before I run out of roster space. Or is it a case of that I shouldn't even worry about it as the drop rate is so low on 5 stars anyway? 
  • DAZ0273
    I would open the LT's and then make a judgment on how well RNG treats you as to whether to spend CP
  • DAZ0273
    If you get a butt load of non Hela might be time to pause
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Roster slots should continue to be your limiting factor for opening legendary tokens. Since you have unrostered 4s and 5s you should only spend your LTs and CPs when you have an open roster slot (or the HP to by one). This will help you mitigate any cover loss if you pull characters you don't already have on roster.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about who is in Latest Legends and if they are good or not. Your goal shouldn't be to fully cover the latest three. Your goal should be to start fully covering the 4-star tier and getting at least one cover for as many 5-stars as you can. With that in mind, I'd continue to hoard your LTs (back to that in a minute). Use your CP in classic legends. If you have 3500 CP, using it in the classic legends vault will give you 35 additional pulls due to the lower CP cost. This will help you achieve getting those 4-stars covered and nabbing a few classic 5-stars a bit quicker.

If you want to move up to PvE SCL 8 you're going to need more 5-stars for the 5-star essential node... at least, if you want to be competitive. That node is worth a lot more points in SCL 8 than SCL 7. I'd stay in SCL 7 a bit longer, at least until you start champing a few 4-stars and have some more 5-stars with at least one cover.

Now, back to your LTs. By continuing to hoard them, you can spend them when new 5-stars are released until you get at least 1 cover for the new 5-star. Having at least 1 cover in each of the latest three will help you be more competitive in PvE (both SCL 7 & 8) as they are featured more often in the 5e nodes. Hopefully you don't have to spend too many of your LTs and they can continue to grow, so that one day when you are ready to transition to the 5-star tier (after champing a lot of 4-stars) you have a nice nest egg of LTs to do so. But, if you want to grow your 4-stars quicker you may consider spending them. (It's a tough choice - growth now or fully covered 5-stars a year from now.)

Now, for PvP... keep in mind that when you start to champ 4-stars this part of the game is actually going to get harder for you for a little while because of the boost list. Once you have a couple of 4-star champs your MMR will throw you in with rosters that have many 4-star champs. You'll be going up against a lot of champed/boosted 4s when you don't have any. As you champ more and more 4-stars, this will become easier. You can alleviate this pain by trying to champ the meta 4s first if at all possible (Rocket & Groot, Medusa, Carnage, Carol, Gamora, Bishop, Rogue, Vulture, Chavez, etc.). The fact that you have all the 3-stars champed will help as well, as you'll be leaning on boosted 3s during your transition period.

Good luck!
  • peterdark
    Dormammu said:

Now, back to your LTs. By continuing to hoard them, you can spend them when new 5-stars are released until you get at least 1 cover for the new 5-star. Having at least 1 cover in each of the latest three will help you be more competitive in PvE (both SCL 7 & 8) as they are featured more often in the 5e nodes. Hopefully you don't have to spend too many of your LTs and they can continue to grow, so that one day when you are ready to transition to the 5-star tier (after champing a lot of 4-stars) you have a nice nest egg of LTs to do so. But, if you want to grow your 4-stars quicker you may consider spending them. (It's a tough choice - growth now or fully covered 5-stars a year from now.)

This I did not even come close to thinking about. Makes perfect sense, assuming I can pull one of the latest legends.

I agree with the roster slot being the bottle-neck. I guess my plan once I have all the 4's rostered is to spend cp in classic legends as and when I have a roster slot free. Given that we can save covers I guess I can take my time here and not champion anyone or lvl anyone above a certain point? Then when I have enough covers ready I can then champion several of them at once. 

Guessing the slower plan will be the most 'fun' in the long term. 
  • peterdark
    OJSP said:
    Like Dormammu, I'd hoard the LTs and use the CP for Classics. You want more 4* covers at the moment. You could even keep hoarding LTs until you're ready to transition and have 300 LTs by then already.
    Yeah, I keep reading that 300 LT's is the magic number. My thoughts of pulling 300 LT's is that i'd have 3 fully covered 5 *s, but would that be better than having a whole spread of 5's? Obviously I'm nowhere near there yet but I would have though it would be better to have a bigger roster? Or does roster size not really matter in 5 star land?

• Dormammu
    peterdark said:
     My thoughts of pulling 300 LT's is that i'd have 3 fully covered 5 *s, but would that be better than having a whole spread of 5's?

Not really, not until you're ready to enter 5-star play. And that shouldn't happen until you have many 4-star champs. I'd rather have all the 5-stars at one cover than just three of them fully covered - at least, where you are in the game. That would allow you to always have access to the 5e node, which is important if you want to be competitive in PvE.

Focus on your 4-stars, it's a massive tier with a lot of strategical variety and an extremely fun tier of the game. If you're spending your CP in classics you'll start acquiring 5-star covers. If you're champing 4-stars, you'll start earning 5-star covers as champ rewards and gaining more LTs for your hoard. Let your 5s grow organically while you focus on your 4s - the 4-star tier is not one you want to skip. Don't worry about getting 5s fully covered. Worry about getting 4s fully covered.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    peterdark said:
     My thoughts of pulling 300 LT's is that i'd have 3 fully covered 5 *s, but would that be better than having a whole spread of 5's?

Not really, not until you're ready to enter 5-star play. And that shouldn't happen until you have many 4-star champs. I'd rather have all the 5-stars at one cover than just three of them fully covered - at least, where you are in the game. That would allow you to always have access to the 5e node, which is important if you want to be competitive in PvE.
    Even if you don't want to be competitive, the node rewards are good, and it makes hitting full Progression easier. I definitely recommend trying to get everyone Rostered before seriously trying for 5* champs.
  • peterdark
    I'd like to thank everyone for their views on this. 

I'm slightly losing my way at the moment, the transition to 4 * is dragging me down as I'm relying on Chavez and a 5 * meat shield to get me through PVP progression. PVE is not so bad, but I find myself using a 3 * team of patch, Dak3n and strange just to save health packs

I guess the only thing getting me through this is that I'm really looking forward to spending CP on classics. I'm guessing/hoping that as soon as I start opening these then a whole new world awaits as the 4 *'s I have will suddenly become useable. 

Thanks again, 14 slots left to open (including sabretooth and the duck). Almost there :)
  • DAZ0273
    Building 4* also opens up Crash of the Titans, many of which can be done at reasonably low levels depending on the match-up.
  • Dormammu
    peterdark said:
    PVE is not so bad, but I find myself using a 3 * team of patch, Dak3n and strange just to save health packs
    Substitute Daken for IM40 when you're up against 2 or more non-tile-matching goons. Using his yellow Recharge will lead to Patch's green followed by Strange's blue. Then just sit back and watch everything die.

That team got me through some tough PvE goon nodes back in the days of roster-based scaling.