[Replacement Poll] What do you think of the new VIP Membership system?

Options

Comments

• OmegaLolrus
    OmegaLolrus Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I like it, but there are some things I would like to see adjusted.
    starfall said:

I am very happy to return and am very happy to buy cosmetics to support the game

Foils are RIGHT THERE, aren't they? It's such an obvious port over from paper. People love pimping their rides. Just look at how much people compete to turn their avatars gold in Hearthstone.
    Either way, 100% support that. I can think of two decks RIGHT NOW I would buy all foils for.
  • Ampersand
    Ampersand Posts: 206 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm not a fan, but I'll see how it plays out.
    @Nalthazar summed up my thoughts very well:
    In closing, I think that the implementation of a subscription system is a good idea, but it should be cheaper, provide more incentive for players who buy it, and it should not come at the cost of events that will keep the player base engaged and logging in every day. When players stop feeling a draw to log in consistently, they fade from the game. It is the exact reason why many games offer daily rewards that build in some way over time. It keeps the game on people's minds. This update will only succeed in removing the game from people's minds and portable devices. 
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I don't have a problem with it, but I won't be participating.
    Thésée said:

I completely agree with your analysis about why we shouldn't oppose a system that is meant to be an income for the game, allowing it to live. And I agree the VIP system in itself will not harm non paying players. But the disappearance of Rising Tensions does, and clearly it disappears to make the VIP status incentive.

The conjugation of those two events changes the "pay-to-win-ness" of the game. Probalby not much for veteran players like me, but for all the newer players, radically

The actual impact on "pay-to-win-ness" of any two events (such as adding VIP and removing RT) must be equal to the sum of the impact of each event on its own.  As we agree, the VIP system doesn't seem to significantly change "pay-to-win-ness".  Removing/reducing RT does increase "pay-to-win-ness" a little, because the rate of rewards per effort spent will reduce proportionally more for non-paying players than for paying ones.  But that's how things were before RT arrived; I don't remember seeing more complaints about pay-to-win in those days.
    So even taking those two things together, there still seems to be no reason to believe the actual impact on "pay-to-win-ness" will be large.  I see the impact on grinding speed being far more significant than the impact on pay-to-win-ness.
    On the other hand, the psychological impact of these two events combined is a very different story.  If you take it as given that VIP is effectively a replacement for RT, like many seem to (Edit: even though Brigby has now said "The scheduling change for the event was conceived and implemented completely independently of anything surrounding the upcoming VIP Membership options"), then that feels like a very pivotal change.  So it seems there's a huge chasm between the psychological impact of what's been announced and what the actual gameplay impact will be.
    Part of that might be due to considering these changes not just as isolated events, but as a sign of changing developer sentiment and a sign of things to come.  If free rewards continue to reduce and paying options continue to increase, the cumulative impact on "pay-to-win-ness" would eventually become large.  The devs haven't really explained their strategy going forward, so perhaps it's not surprising if some players fill the void with their own pessimistic projections.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am against this and it will affect my engagement in the game. (Please explain.)
    Theros said:
    Why don't they remove the awful ToTP instead of removing the most beloved event by all?
    Please do not remove ToTP.  That is arguably the best (non RT) event there is right now.  Great rewards, no secondaries, and legacy decks.  Its like Nodes of Power back when it was fun.

Its also the only real challenge we still have, since for most other events you need to dumb down your decks to meet the garbage secondaries.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Theros said:
    Why don't they remove the awful ToTP instead of removing the most beloved event by all?
    That is not really the answer and you know it.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Volrak said: ...  The devs haven't really explained their strategy going forward, so perhaps it's not surprising if some players fill the void with their own pessimistic projections.
    The devs have never really succeeded with this, you could even say they haven’t really tried to outline their strategy. I feel like their communication is just sales talk with plenty of words and not much information.
  • BATMAN1
    BATMAN1 Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    What happened to mpurns post? 
  • Wolfbane
    Wolfbane Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I am against this and it will affect my engagement in the game. (Please explain.)
    Dropping back in here to add my 2 cents:

One reason I like this game is that paying and F2P players are fairly equal in this game. At some point in time everyone can own a Bolas, Etali, Blue Sun Overpowered deck, balancing with other players OP decks. With the advent of VIP plans and Masterpiece crafting we'll be facing a whole new class of decks: Exclusively OP decks that no-one can beat unless they too cough up 100's of dollars/year so they can craft masterpieces as well.

MP's are beyond unbalancend and overpowered. Thankfully they are awfully hard to come by ( I own 1 after 2 years of F2P). Making MP's more widely available for paying customers will negatively affect te balance of the game and make this a Pay 2 Win game.

If this prediction comes true I'll be taking my leave.
  • TheDude1
    TheDude1 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Separate thought on the MP crafting:

The $90 minimum to even get access to MP crafting isn't a guarantee of an MP.  It's the right to craft one for 10k orbs.  And even then you run the risk of getting a Meh-sterpiece instead.

At 10 MPs released per recent set release, you'd need 100k orbs per set to fully craft them, assuming you pulled none in card packs.  Since the only way to get orbs is through duplicate cards, no one is getting that many orbs without paying some cash into the game already.  It's a fairly trivial benefit for people that are already paying to maximize their collection.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tremayne said:
    Theros said:
    That is not really the answer and you know it.
    I think this is a legitimate question.... If they're looking to cull events that provide players free premium resources, then removing a legacy option makes more sense than a standard one, especially since there are now two legacy events for this. Across Ixalan and Trial of the Planes, and one standard one in Rising Tensions.

If a player needs the currencies from these types of events to craft cards and purchase mythic/masterpiece level cards, then there is greater ease in doing so with a standard level event as opposed to a legacy one. Even in my case, I'm in platinum and have been playing since Eldritch Moon was put into the game, but because I never pulled any of the big power cards from legacy, and basically didn't open any Zendikar block cards, I don't have the cards needed to be competitive in those events, and as a result don't even play them.

Maybe Trial of the Planes doesn't need to be the one to be removed, but we don't need both that and Across Ixalan in the game and Rising Tensions retired from a daily event.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Halve the prices. The current implementation is too little loot for too much money. It is not on par with D3Go's own other game Marvel PQ even.

• tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Here's how I would design this for a healthy game:

- Create a $5 membership (yes, maybe some additional premium variations as well).
    - Have a variety of events with good prizes, and perhaps some non-currency prizes as well (badges, season cups, foils, whatever).
    - Most events should only be available to members (meaning: F2P is about trying out the game. If you like it and want to continue, you need to pay).
    - Nerf the worst cards so that the meta is interesting and varied.

The idea would be that most players would pay a little, and you would generate a healthy competitive environment. In this situation, it doesn't even matter if most people have all the cards - if there are non-resource prizes that entice people to compete, having access to the cards just makes the game more fun and engaging (you can actually discuss strategies etc).
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Completely, totally and utterly apathetic and neutral to the entire concept.
    I really don't see the cause for a fuss.

I mean, you can already pay for basically all the stuff that this new system allows you to pay for, you just pay more directly and don't have to wait as long for your gratification (but don't get as locked into your sunk costs, either). And tbh the game's long been far too buggy and unstable to be seriously competitive about so who cares if people are paying for a "competitive" advantage? If other people want to pour money down the sink to keep this game alive, good for them, hey. IMO the VIP memberships are hilariously expensive and overpriced for what they actually deliver, so they don't tempt me in the least, but I've never really had a strong moral objection to fools being parted from their money.

The only thing that will change my vote from indifferent to negative is if they try to resource-choke everybody into signing up for these VIP memberships. We've endured the Austerity regime before, it didn't do anything good for this game then and it certainly won't now, as demoralized as this playerbase currently is.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2019
    Options

- Most events should only be available to members (meaning: F2P is about trying out the game. If you like it and want to continue, you need to pay).
     It would be a terrible idea i i think ... it would probably reduce drastically the number of actual players and block most newcomers.
       We have to keep in mind that MTGPQ is a niche game for MTG lovers, and those ones could pay for it ... But for any non MTG supporter, why choosing this one instead of another if they have to pay while others are F2P?
      To expand and survive, a game needs to attract players ... The day it becomes pay2play, he'd better have a super solid player base and a super rich and attractive proposal. The game in it's current state can't pretend to do so.

The solution for this game to make money is and has always been  quite simple ... Apply DECENT prices ... It is amazing ( and somehow indecent) that the publishers don't realize that after more than 3 years ...