[Replacement Poll] What do you think of the new VIP Membership system?

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Mburn7 said:
    Yay censorship! 

The poll getting modded dropped about 40 votes (can't tell the exact number, but there were 60 votes last I checked and now there are 20).  The majority of dropped votes are for the "probably not playing anymore" option too.  Now it looks like the "wait and see" option is by far the favorite when it definitely was not before.  Hmmmmm.
    Your original poll had 5 options that were biased towards "Dislike" and your only 1 "Like" option had the caveat attached to it that people who chose that option liked Pay To Win. 

It was clear that your original poll did not contain balanced nor objective poll options, therefore we had to change the options to follow the forum rules.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am against this and it will affect my engagement in the game. (Please explain.)
    Mburn7 said:
    Yay censorship! 

The poll getting modded dropped about 40 votes (can't tell the exact number, but there were 60 votes last I checked and now there are 20).  The majority of dropped votes are for the "probably not playing anymore" option too.  Now it looks like the "wait and see" option is by far the favorite when it definitely was not before.  Hmmmmm.
    Yeah I noticed that too.

I feel like, now that Octagon (or D3, whoever enforced this horrible idea) is showing its true colors, even if every player on here said "We hate it!" theyd still carry forward with this idea.

Overtime pay-to-play will become the only way to compete in standard, none of us will play anymore and subsequently there will be no reason to post on these forums either.  Our posts today will make a nice graveyard for future players to visit hoping for new content, which there wont be much of.  Let the decay begin.

Sorry, I'm still not over the shock of this.  3 years of our lives, wasted on a sellout pay-to-play game.  I wish I'd known back then, I wouldn't have touched this game.  
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    The argumentation about the poll is technically correct, although the replacement poll still doesn't seem to fit the forum rules.
    Interfering with the player discussion while ignoring valid (other) concerns.. Classic D3!
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am against this and it will affect my engagement in the game. (Please explain.)
    Brigby said:
    Mburn7 said:
    Yay censorship! 

Your original poll had 5 options that were biased towards "Dislike" and your only 1 "Like" option had the caveat attached to it that people who chose that option liked Pay To Win. 

It was clear that your original poll did not contain balanced nor objective poll options, therefore we had to change the options to follow the forum rules.
    Actually there were 2 "like" options, one was a full like (aka:  supporting a pay-to-win system), and the other one was a partial like (I like the idea, but......).  I guess the partial like should have been left open ended instead of the "too expensive" explainer being tacked on, but since "too expensive" seems to be a very popular complaint so far I though it was justified.

I usually try to structure my polls as:

Love
    Neutral
    Dislike
    Hate

whenever possible, but use more descriptive terms to help people express themselves without having to post (since votes are more important in a poll than comments from a numbers perspective).  I find using generic like/dislike terms makes it harder to figure out where I stand on an issue (since they are so vague) and more specific options help me focus in on what I want to say.  I guess for this issue I didn't do a good enough job.
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    I like it, but there are some things I would like to see adjusted.
    I want to support this game. I have played it pretty much since the beginning as mostly a free to play player. I totally recognize that the game needs money to keep it afloat, and a subscription makes sense. $15 feels too expensive though, I think you would keep more players invested if the price point was around $5

But here’s the bigger problem: Customer confidence is gone. We keep asking for gameplay improvements and things to keep up interested in the game and we get nothing but crickets until a new feature no one asked for is implemented. And when we the community asks for some sort of discussion or revisions to the new system we get largely ignored. Honestly, right now it feels like new features are being implemented to distract from the blowback of the previous features.

Even if the price point comes down, what can you tell us that will make us want to buy into your VIP system? I barely want to play the game in its current FREE state. The VIP system had better offer a whole lot more then just  some in-game currencies and getting to play the same game in its rough state. It has to guarantee the life and betterment of the game.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not a fan, but I'll see how it plays out.
    Mburn7 said:
    Yay censorship! 

[MOD MIC ON]
    @Mburn I would be happy to redact all of the biased bits and post a screenshot of the original poll. 
    [//MOD MIC]
  • Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    None of the options really covered how I felt. I like the idea of a subscription offering but the prices they chose and the products offered for those prices are almost insulting. For 30 bucks a month I'd want something like a brand new planeswalker with a couple exclusive mythics in its starter deck and all the deck slots unlocked. 

That being said they will probably get money from anyway. What drives me is completing sets and right now the only cards I'm missing are MPs. I really want to craft MPs. I'd prefer the option to just pay my six months upfront so I can start spending my 10s of thousands of orbs.
  • JopeX37
    JopeX37 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2019
    This is just depressing really.  Now that we know RT is gone next week too it sure looks like they're nerfing rewards to force us into VIP.  Prove me wrong D3 and 8Gon, prove me wrong.
  • Stalker
    Stalker Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    I don't have a problem with it, but I won't be participating.

Sorry, I'm still not over the shock of this.  3 years of our lives, wasted on a sellout pay-to-play game.  I wish I'd known back then, I wouldn't have touched this game.  
    Best stay away from all mobile games that are ftp. Licensing costs money, server(s), staff, plus making sure the handlers (owners/corporate overlords/ wallstreet) make money. 

• stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    RT will be back in some time, with the additional "VIP Premium Content" label on it. Taking things out of the game so you can reintroduce them as paid content is totally something I would expect at this point. Adding new content under the banner would be a much more appealing way to go about introducing this, but that would make too much sense.

I've said this before in the previous poll, but I'm fine with paying for a game service, but it better be a complete product. Not a buggy mess without basic QC.
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    I like it, but there are some things I would like to see adjusted.
    In retrospect, I would have to say D3 and co. would probably get more people if they halved both costs..

Master at $15 and Pro at $7.50... 

As I've said, Marvel already has a VIP and that's $10 a month.
    With what's being offered, here, I think halved costs for both would work nicely...

• LordDorwin
    LordDorwin Posts: 78 Match Maker
    I see you removed my vote.  I voted again, for the sugar-coated version of the original phrasing.

The reason I logged on this morning was actually to reconsider the "strong-arming" comment I had made earlier, thinking it perhaps too harsh.

Now I think it didn't go far enough.  I truly appreciate this latest middle finger as it exposes what I was talking about.

If bias and leading questions were truly the problem with the original poll, the sane response would have been to critique it and point this out in detail, so as to educate the poll maker and prevent repeat performances.

Should replacement have been absolutely necessary, the original (with votes) should have been retained for reference.

Also remember: You can delete players' posts.  They can delete your game.  The userbase is not big enough to indulge in this kind of pettiness.

Terminology: Where the pronoun "you" was used above, the company making the game and in charge of this forum is being referred to.

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Stalker said:

Best stay away from all mobile games that are ftp. Licensing costs money, server(s), staff, plus making sure the handlers (owners/corporate overlords/ wallstreet) make money. 

I realize this.  I'm fine with purchasable content.  Most other phone games do not run on subscription.
  • ManekiNeko
    ManekiNeko Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2019
    I will no longer be playing MtGPQ (So long, thanks for the fish!)
    I already worte a big novel in the other thread but will explain my personal decision with quitting the game.  

Basically, the announcement of this VIP plan was the last push to quit. 

Card Collection
    You see, I am a daily player since a year, but have been playing for 1 year before that but like on and off. So you could argue, I am playing since 2 years with monthly phases of not playing. 
    This led to my collection being pretty neatly filled with standard cards but with so little good legacy cards, that in legacy events i always played standard decks because they were just the better ones
    So I never had big incentives to play legacy events because I always had a higher winrate with standard events. 

BSZ
    I am in plat for a month or so now and I'm getting my buttocks beaten quite often because of that. That is to be expected in some way, especially because I'm a f2p player (except two purchases over overall 30€ to get the new sarkhan and bolas1). So, I recognized BSZ, Stitch in Time and StV, just to name a few, are crucial for my decks, because those cards are so good, that even though my collection is rather limited, I still could increase winrates to over 50% in standard events. 
    Being confronted with the pressure to get BSZ to increase my winrate to a rate which makes the game fun again (its no fun to watch greg play 5 BSZ in one turn just to smash for 120 dmg and kill me after a minute), I thought of the best strategy to get BSZ. It would be to craft all the m19 mythics with orbs and then go elite+ to get BSZ. Well, most of the m19 mythics are so ****, this has little value for me to get only m19 mythics for half a year just then to have an increased chance for BSZ. I dont put money into it just to get **** mythics. Not gonna happen.
    So I put all my jewels to roll BSZ in 3 tries. Chances were alright (37%), but I was out of luck. That, to be honest, made me quite salty. Overall I tried 14 times since the release of m19, chance of me not hitting BSZ was 11,5%. 
    I just said to me, well, if the game was balanced properly, I shouldnt have to go through that emotional rollercoaster in the first place. This took quite some fun out of me. 

Events
    I was in an half-active coalition, but I never really played the coalition events because the weekends I have little to no spare time. Coalition events were almost all legacy too where my winrates werent high enough to take the time and get the fun out of the challange to go 100% in the event, because that was just not possible, not even when I was in gold. Also, the coalition events just took waaay too much time. I just simply didnt wanna spend hours on end for a mobile game. 
    Thats why I only really played Rising Tensions. Rewards were alright and I had to put 30-40 minutes into it each day. This is the most I am confortable with. But was this really fun? It was so tinykitty repetitive, that I often times didnt really had fun playing RT. 
    I also didnt roll good enough cards to improve my decks. So I always played the same decks over and over again, because those were the best combinations of my card collection, playing different decks resulted in winrates under 40%. Nope thanks. 

Conclusion
    For me personally, the last months felt like a chore. 
    The card mastery is just not a system I have fun with. I need direct ranks, I need an elo system to have fun in such a game where you compete. Not just 4 ranks which dont even depend on your skill but only depend on the time you sunk into the game. 
    Just imagine, Training Grounds would have 5 charges a day and you'd compete for global rewards of your rank. If you go top10 one week daily in a row, the weekly season would end and youd rank up. There, better rewards await you but better oponents aswell. Like this, you could establish are more fluktuent meta. And lastly, you would keep me playing. 
    The events and how they were designed just gets boring really quick. You play the minimum games you have to play to get the rewards and thats it. That is just no fun. Apart from Coalition events, where theres another aspect to it, where you really compete. But the amount I have to play to compete is just not doable for me. 

So, nothing about that will change, and now it feels like I am asked to pay HUGE money to stay competetive? Spend 6x30€ or whatever to be able to craft MPs finally? I didnt even do the math, on a first glance thats just not worth the money. And when others spend and I do not in plat, my winrates decrease even further. 

I LOVE how the cards generally have been implemented from Magic, I love how the gameplay works, I love the love for the detail on the cards and the overall card design (apart from a few cards I mentioned). I am absolutely ready to spend money for something which is fun. But the new event with 3.4 which isnt even new anymore is just the old thing in a new coat. This is not enough. I need new stuff. New challenges. New content. Not to get stripped by the only event I play and a new way to spend horrendous amount of money to get the same old. 
    If I have fun cards but cant do anything fun with them, well, there seems to be lacking something for me. 
    I hope this will adressed. With that being adressed, I am very happy to return and am very happy to buy cosmetics to support the game

• Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    starfall said:
    Volrak said:

A final aside - this is a comment about what I think of the VIP system; I don't address RT removal
    Given that the two are so obviously interlinked, I'd be interested to hear your opinion on it. It feels like you aren't really addressing the current state of the game by addressing only this one side of it.
    Well, since you asked...
    It's pretty clear from the forums that many people feel strongly about wanting to keep their RT.  It's natural to become accustomed to something of value that you're given over a long period.  And RT sure had value, being one of the most generous events to date.
    It's certainly possible that the timing of RT's removal is linked to the VIP system.  If it's in fact for an unrelated reason, then it's quite unfortunate timing for D3, given how it's being perceived by many.
  • Dropspot
    Dropspot Posts: 200 Tile Toppler
    It's clear to me that the problem isn't VIP system. But the reduction of free resources given to players.

No one can deny that taking out RT from the daily schedule reduces significantly the inflow of the most important resources (orbs and jewels) to the player base. As of now we don't have any information about what is the plan to replace RT in the schedule, nor what will be some kind of monthly schedule of events so we can understand how much of a cut we are taking. 

I think if @Brigby could provide some clarification on this would really help the discussion and our understanding of how big of a cut the F2P players are taking.

I am afraid however that taking out so important daily event without a replacement is going to have a huge impact on engagement (that by my feelings is already slowing) and could end up leading to hurting more the revenues than the add of the VIP system could offset. Maybe it was a better decision to just lower the rewards given on RT. It would be a hard message to receive but it would be a clearer message overall.