Kaya seem really meh

Options
2»

Comments

• Snappyturtle
    Snappyturtle Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I would suggest a Surveil deck without Blood Operative and instead add a discard creature like Urogoros. With Infinite Obliteration. But still, she is limited to be played in one specific way to make her ult worthwhile. Adding loyalty generating supports will slow it down since supports are kept in play until destroyed; limiting the graveyard play that they are trying to generate with loyalty in the first place.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @ZW2007- - thanks for the analysis on Kaya. You confirm my issues with her, so that is good. To bad it means no purchase from me. I wonder if I’ll spend crystals on her. There are just better usage of crystals than her, it seems.
  • thesmallesthuman
    thesmallesthuman Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    Kaya is meh, it’s true. I like her for the color combo cuz I don’t have sorin. My first week or two with her I was determined to build around her ult as I really loved the idea of having a strong creatureless wincon. I’ve never lost so many games. I guess I’ll stick to Ral and Ob or even Angrath for creatureless options. 

I started having more fun with her when I gave up on building around her abilities whatsoever. Afterlife is kinda fun. Her color combo is kinda neat. Her second is useful occasionally but too limited to lean on. When things are going too slow (which is usually), you can ult near the end of the game for a decent little burn. 

@ZW2007- your Kaya build was awesome and I wish they’d used it. Her first would actually synergize with her ult and you’d be able to use it even if your opponent’s GY was empty if you needed a quick lifegain. Her second would be powerful without the unnecessary limits, as a second should be. And her ult would be powerful enough to compete with Angrath or Ob without being game-breaking. Even if it lost a shield every time it dealt damage or something. Would make it actually ult-worthy. 

• Ampersand
    Ampersand Posts: 206 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I would welcome a re-working of Kaya, Huatli1, and Jace 3 (Cunning Castaway). It's like I can see what they were going for with each one, but screwed up. 
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The problem is that the card combo of undergrowth lich and beacon bolt do a better job. 

Heavy rely on loyality make second sun a lethal silver bullit. 

Bolas with that card combo and some other kill very fast and may use his loyality only for supporting role. 

Kaya is dead meat, if you build a deck around her or not. 
  • Stalker
    Stalker Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    ZW2007- said:
    A coalition mate of mine bought her for cash for exactly that reason. I'm annoyed with him because it just supports their decision to continue making tinykitty planes-walkers
    Yeah, I skipped her and only due to boredom contemplated the purchase. The devs lost out. She is too restrictive imo on builds and not one ability seems like one you can safely rely on. Hopefully they learn from this mistake in future cash offerings. But if people keep buying these lackluster deals then they need to reconsider complaining when their very support reinforces this standard.

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The second is REALLY good with the current token abundance and the small annoying supports, it's usually useful and you can save your kill spells for other things.

First I only use if they are doing something with their graveyard or life for Azors Gateway.

3rd is a great finisher, I killed Bolas in RotGP with her and it was fun! But her third is definitely a _finsiher_ rather than something you use often or early.

She can solidly do black/white creatureless which Sorin could not.
  • Tremayne
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Kaya is in the vault right now and I simply can’t justify using what is equivalent to a trip to the movies for two persons in crystals buying her. If she comes on sale maybe I will pull the trigger. I would guess 65 crystals would be good enough for her.
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I got her and I cried after using her. 
  • Tremayne
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I got her and I cried after using her. 
    I would image that is an appropriate response to playing her.

I wonder what the design team thinks her selling point is? The only thing I can come up with is to avoid power creep, boy did they nail that!
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've spoken my mind on this a lot already but now I can speak from experience. She is almost fun, almost. I leveled her high enough to get her ultimate to rank 3 (moves 19 cards from my GY I believe) and it was enjoyable...until Brokhan started hitting me with my own Infinite Obliteration, etc. Giving the opponent all the cards from my deck is just stupid. Her ult is too weak because of this. If you aren't max level, you can't wait for the ult and use it as a finisher so you are forced to give them your cards. At the very least, it should count the cards in both player's exile piles and then shuffle them back into their own libraries. I'd still prefer if it left the cards in exile and cost a lot more loyalty. Make it cost 30 for all I care, it would at least open up some better strategies for her. She's not better than Ob as a creatureless win condition even though she has access to an entire extra color compared to Ob. That alone makes her essentially worthless as far as I am concerned.
  • Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Orzhov is my favorite combination of colors (at least flavorwise). I really wanted to love her. She is really hard to build around and her abilities are really bad if you dont build around the result is that she ends up being really meh. 
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    i hope they will re-design Kaya as they did with Sorin
  • Ampersand
    Ampersand Posts: 206 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I hope they redesign Kaya, Huatli1, and Jace3. I'm not holding my breath, though.
  • Outersider
    Outersider Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Really don't care to hear that there is a reworking of Planesalkers..... I'd rather the dev's fix what' broken before trying to do something that I'm sure will cause loads of other problems.... Their record on doing things right is zilch. So expecting something good is like hoping the dawn never rises if your a vampire.