Does Kitty really need a nerf?

2»

Comments

• marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    Nope.

Easy to counter. Even with a 370 Grocket along, it's pretty easy to crush with Thorkoye. Rare wipes. It's actually harder to run Gritty with 100% success. A bad board can have you tile-less on a long match while you eat hits and damage with only a mid-range 4* with 20k life to help.

Bishop works well on his own with ANY team, he double dips on strikes, but you might as well say he makes DD or BSSM too powerful.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    She is fine, Rocket is the one that is broken, and the one that should be fixed

AlexR said:
    NotBAMF said:

Kitty (with Grocket) has made PVE somewhat less tedious and annoying than it was before her, so just for the sake of PVE, I hope she never gets nerfed.

This. Gritty's a godsend for PvE. My clears have never been quicker! And PvE is so grindy that anything that speeds it up is much appreciated.
    As a 4* player with very little effective ways of dealing with it, I do auto-skip Gritty in Sim as much as possible though. (And Sim is 95% Gritty, it's very annoying.) 
    Rather than nerfing Kitty or GRocket (who by themselves each aren't a problem and together improve PvE clearing speed), my personal wish would be that they'd buff Kraven with anti-Kitty properties. Countering meta GRocket teams is literally all he exists for. (And he's normally good at that too, except Kitty out-buffs his debuffs so he's not a good Gritty counter. Sadly, he's literally my best bet.) Wouldn't help the 5* side any, admittedly, but sure would make my 4* life easier.

But here lies the problem as not every one has a Gritty team, so this is giving an unfair advantage to those who have it, as the time to complete the nodes is basically the most important thing in PvE

Said that, I doubt they will nerf either of them
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2019
    Polares said:

AlexR said:
    NotBAMF said:

Kitty (with Grocket) has made PVE somewhat less tedious and annoying than it was before her, so just for the sake of PVE, I hope she never gets nerfed.

This. Gritty's a godsend for PvE. My clears have never been quicker! And PvE is so grindy that anything that speeds it up is much appreciated.
    As a 4* player with very little effective ways of dealing with it, I do auto-skip Gritty in Sim as much as possible though. (And Sim is 95% Gritty, it's very annoying.) 
    Rather than nerfing Kitty or GRocket (who by themselves each aren't a problem and together improve PvE clearing speed), my personal wish would be that they'd buff Kraven with anti-Kitty properties. Countering meta GRocket teams is literally all he exists for. (And he's normally good at that too, except Kitty out-buffs his debuffs so he's not a good Gritty counter. Sadly, he's literally my best bet.) Wouldn't help the 5* side any, admittedly, but sure would make my 4* life easier.

But here lies the problem as not every one has a Gritty team, so this is giving an unfair advantage to those who have it, as the time to complete the nodes is basically the most important thing in PvE

Fair enough, but the counter to that is that Grocket (with or without Gritty) allows 4* players to at least compete with 5* players somewhat for speed. Nerfing Grocket would mean no one but 5* players would have ANY shot at placement. Nerfing Grocket would just lock MORE players out of having any chance; not open it up for everyone.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:
    tiomono said:

Kitty in a bubble does not need nerfed. Rocket is the issue in the combo.

I disagree with that unless you mean just in 5* PvP/MMR.

I can assure you her passive is being abused in 3* PvP. This week 3* Daken and Blade are boosted and in 4* PvP I am seeing a *ton* of Kitty/Daken or Kitty/Blade teams (since they are boosted). Easy pickings for me in 4*PvP/MMR land with a champed Kraven (also boosted this week) but I imagine those combo's are every bit the terror in 3* PvP that Kitty/Grocket is in 5* PvP.

As I mentioned above, change her passive to boost 4* and below specials at a reduced rate (33%) and you solve the problem in every tier without needing to nerf any other tiers characters while leaving her viable for future 5* teammates.

KGB
    I can't imagine that low level low cover kitty is more of a threat in 3* play than nico or even 5* thor, okoye, or oml was in his prime. And as you said those teams are easy pickings for you in 4* play. I would guess putting a 5* with your 3*'s will put you against 4* teams pretty regular.

I also highly doubt they try to code the game to distinguish strikes, attacks, or protects given by a 2*, 3*, 4*, or 5*. 
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    No nerf required at all. Thorkoye handles them 9/10 times if not more. I climbed the whole way in the Thor pvp with Okoye/XFDP and it may have actually been easier 😝.

Yes you can wipe against it but......ok?

Oh, word? Nice.
  • T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    NotBAMF said:
    Polares said:

AlexR said:
    NotBAMF said:

Fair enough, but the counter to that is that Grocket (with or without Gritty) allows 4* players to at least compete with 5* players somewhat for speed. Nerfing Grocket would mean no one but 5* players would have ANY shot at placement. Nerfing Grocket would just lock MORE players out of having any chance; not open it up for everyone.
    Depends on the nerf to grocket.  They could reduce his tiles to 4 but keep the strength total the same.  Then he would still be fine for pve and with guardians but he would be too risky to use with kitty in anything other than goon matches.
  • tiomono
    Polares said:

AlexR said:
    NotBAMF said:

Thanos is still king of story mode. Gritty is fast but not thanos fast.
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
       Maybe someone has already said this already but it seems to me there's a fairly simple solution, besides a nerf.  Gritty is only a problem in PVP, so why can't they just make a new 4* that has the same passive that BSSM has.  We have Dazzler, yes, but she has tanking problems and the opposing Kitty starts taking away your Grockets strike tiles, which handicaps Dazzlers effectiveness also; and without his strike tiles Grockets pretty much a wet noodle on the team.  Kraven somewhat works but he can't keep up with Kitty in a long match.  If we have a 4* that neuters strike tiles or overwrites them passively, I think we would be just fine.   Then the only complaint I have about Kitty is her purple damage.  Doesn't she deal damage to SW, LC3, IF3 every turn if her purple is at 5 covers?  If that's the case maybe they could make her Purple be a 2 turn countdown at 5 covers or significantly reduce the damage she gives when no tiles are on the board.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    I take defensive losses using Kitty and Grocket all the time. My Kitty is 461 I believe. The cast of characters that win against me are varied, I have seen BSSM, Thorkoye, Panthos, GE Doom and Lumbercap, DD, Black Bolt, etc.... Seems like the people who think she or Grocket need a nerf haven’t experienced playing with them, only against them. 

There will always be top tier characters, not having them doesn’t warrant a nerf. Gambit was something else entirely.
  • rdvargas1
    rdvargas1 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    No she definitely doesn't.  Neither does Rocket.  Furthermore, I'm of the belief that no characters should be nerfed.  If anything, other characters should be buffed to be more competitive. ( phoenix, BSS, Banner, Strange, Goblin, Star-lord, Silver surfer again, etc.)  They should not have gutted OML and Gambit. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    Polares said:

AlexR said:
    NotBAMF said:

Fortunately story mode doesn't force you to choose between peanut butter and jelly outside of essential nodes.
  • tiomono
    Quebbster said:
    tiomono said:
    Polares said:

AlexR said:
    NotBAMF said:

Fortunately story mode doesn't force you to choose between peanut butter and jelly outside of essential nodes.
    Now I just want a pb and j.

Wouldnt it still be faster though to use thanos grocket and another guardian member. You should down your first opponent pretty quickly without the need for a kitty to be there buffing the strikes. I'm not positive though I have not really "run the numbers".
  • Quebbster
    tiomono said:
    Quebbster said:
    tiomono said:
    Polares said:

AlexR said:
    NotBAMF said:

Wouldnt it still be faster though to use thanos grocket and another guardian member. You should down your first opponent pretty quickly without the need for a kitty to be there buffing the strikes. I'm not positive though I have not really "run the numbers".
    Looking at my own roster, almost certainly not. Grocket's strike tiles go from strength 261 to 545 (they are level 364 so almost done), so that's an increase of 284 Points per tile or 1988 Points in total. Kitty (level 470) buffs five tiles by 738 Points, or 3692 Points in total, so even the first turn boost is almost twice what Another Guardian would bring. And then she keeps buffing. The only scenario where Another Guardian would be preferable is if you can consistently score a turn 1 KO with the Guardian but not with Kitty.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    jtsings said:
    Then the only complaint I have about Kitty is her purple damage.  Doesn't she deal damage to SW, LC3, IF3 every turn if her purple is at 5 covers?  If that's the case maybe they could make her Purple be a 2 turn countdown at 5 covers or significantly reduce the damage she gives when no tiles are on the board.
    Well, it's not really every turn.  Sure, it's a one turn countdown.  But it has to get placed, then the next turn, it destroys itself.  So it's not EVERY TURN.  Its every OTHER turn.

Not saying it's not harsh... but those ARE 3* characters going against a 5*.  
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    tiomono said:
    Quebbster said:
    tiomono said:
    Polares said:

AlexR said:
    NotBAMF said:

Looking at my own roster, almost certainly not. Grocket's strike tiles go from strength 261 to 545 (they are level 364 so almost done), so that's an increase of 284 Points per tile or 1988 Points in total. Kitty (level 470) buffs five tiles by 738 Points, or 3692 Points in total, so even the first turn boost is almost twice what Another Guardian would bring. And then she keeps buffing. The only scenario where Another Guardian would be preferable is if you can consistently score a turn 1 KO with the Guardian but not with Kitty.
    If you are playing Scl7 or 8, first turn wins are very common with Thanos/Grocket/5*lord. Rarely will i go past turn 2.
  • Quebbster
    CT1888 said:
    Quebbster said:
    tiomono said:
    Quebbster said:
    tiomono said:
    Polares said:

AlexR said:
    NotBAMF said:

If you are playing Scl7 or 8, first turn wins are very common with Thanos/Grocket/5*lord. Rarely will i go past turn 2.

Well then, perhaps my CL 9 bias is showing. :) Can't imagine giving up such a good source of Legendary tokens...
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    Quebbster said:
    CT1888 said:

Well then, perhaps my CL 9 bias is showing. :) Can't imagine giving up such a good source of Legendary tokens...
    I'm a progression only kind of guy, and all about minimising the time sink nature of pve