Okoye without Thor

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
When I champed Okoye before she left the latest-3 I recognized immediately what a game-changer she was. But to get her, I had to hoard through Thor and missed out on him. I don't regret it because if I had to pick between the two, I believe Okoye is the more valuable character. The two times Thor has been featured in special vaults since leaving the latest-3 have caught me at bad times with no hoards to speak of, so my pathetic 2/1/2 Thor is of little use to me.

Okoye was my first 5-star champ and instantly elevated my PvE play from Top 50 to Top 10 in SCL 7 when pairing her with Medusa. (For those of you unaware, Okoye's black passive adds damage to Medusa's passive countdown tile). This has been my main duo in PvE ever since, especially for clearing out essential nodes. In the non-essential nodes where we get to bring along a third, 3-star Thanos is the obvious choice. Okoye + Medusa (+ Thanos) is a potent combo, but only if the team-up tiles are there. Otherwise, they can be agonizingly slow. It's amazing how widely my clear times can vary depending on how the team-up tiles fall during my clears. I can have differences of up to ten minutes from one day to the next. This has prevented me from ever winning a PvE tournament - the closest I've gotten is second (so close!). I generally finish in the lower half of the Top 10 on non-release events and Top 20 in new 4-star release events. When I examine the rosters of those who place higher than me, they all have one thing in common: a champed Thor to go along with their champed Okoye.

Having the featured 5-star character champed is certainly a great help in PvE placement and having a champed Kitty probably helps too (I'm nearly there, just one cover away on my 3/4/5 Kitty). One day I'd actually like to take first in a PvE tournament. After over five years with this game, it has remained one of the few things I haven't accomplished.

So I'm curious if there are other players out there who have a champed Okoye without a Thor to pair her with. Who do you like to partner your Okoye with? How do you do in your PvE clear times and placements? Do you even use your Okoye in PvE? These are the burning questions for those of us living life without Thor.

Comments

• janderlick
    janderlick Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    My Okoye is 4/3/1 but I have had a fun time with her in PVE when boosted. I have run her with my 5* Spider-Man and Miles or Vulture. If you can get web tiles out and then boost Arachnid Agility with Okoye's Wakanda Forever, you can be doing 7000+ damage 4-5 time for a random enemy. Sometime you get lucky and clear out two or the whole enemy team doing this. If Vulture is up in the air generating Green AP, this team gets nasty fast.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:

So I'm curious if there are other players out there who have a champed Okoye without a Thor to pair her with. Who do you like to partner your Okoye with? How do you do in your PvE clear times and placements? Do you even use your Okoye in PvE? These are the burning questions for those of us living life without Thor.
    You're not losing to people running Thorkoye in PVE, you're losing to people running Thanos+Grocket.

Thorkoye is reliable, but not fast.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    In pve, I use her with Strange. Its great to see him deal 15k+ damage, makes him feel like the pve beast he used to be. Her royal talon support is also super useful if you have it. Chance at extra team up ap, lowered ap costs, and a chance at a free aoe
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 548 Critical Contributor
    Like the OP, I started this game in 2014. I never minded the forums too much as I am a casual gamer and not accustomed to providing my input. 

To this end, I have succumbed to the fact that I have invested fully in this game and feel a sense of generetivity when it comes to bequething advice. 

My first 5*’s came at a cost, when OML got nerfed, I sold him. He was 3 covers from max and I was able to complete Phoenix and later GG. I ran, however, with only Phoenix for a very long time and had little difficulty approaching pvp thresholds, (thanks to alliances and cupcaking).

On the other hand, pve required timing with a little luck albeit persistence would be the payoff. Many Top 10 finishes in my golden days along with 2 separate top 1 and 2 finishes before 5*’s had come around. 

I decided to hoard last year and drew all 3 latest (Okoye, JJ, IW Cap). No usable Thor in my lineup. I feel the OP and me share similar results with our lineups. There is a clear echelon difference in 5* power and Okoye rises above the rest. 

There is a sticky on 5* Pve prowess in this forum that accurately displays the best from the worst. But it doesn’t add in the supports.

Certain supports at certain rarities like the Royal talon fighter at 3* can be quite game changing for pve. Consider this when evaluating your own roster and resources to achieving a competitive edge. It is the trend that the game is headed towards and it only take a few few more top shelf supports to witness that event.
  • Dormammu
    Glockoma said:
    Certain supports at certain rarities like the Royal talon fighter at 3* can be quite game changing for pve. Consider this when evaluating your own roster and resources to achieving a competitive edge. It is the trend that the game is headed towards and it only take a few few more top shelf supports to witness that event.
    Great point. I do have a rank 3 Royal Talon Fighter and it is absolutely a game-changer. The same thing can be said about Grocket with Milano support. That countdown going off on turn-3 is often enough to take out an enemy and end a match sooner that it would have otherwise.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    Dormammu said:

You're not losing to people running Thorkoye in PVE, you're losing to people running Thanos+Grocket.

Thorkoye is reliable, but not fast.
    This right here. 

If you followed my thread chronicling my transition to 5* land, I transitioned with 6 characters all at once: Thor, Okoye, Jessica Jones, Thanos, Kitty Pryde, and Daredevil. I later champed Cable and brought Kingpin to his max of 435. 

I pretty much bought out the Wakanda vault when I saw that shiny 3* Royal Talon Fighter. Everyone talked about how it’s an amazing support and must-have for Okoye. 

I’m a T5-T10 player in CL8. And I’ve played Okoye exactly once since entering the 5* tier. When she was essential. The RTF is cool but gets very little use, as does the Okoye it is attached to. 

PVE is all about Gritty/Thanos, 5E/Thanos, DD/Thanos... but the key is the Mad Titan. Thor will likely do very little for your clear times. 

Thorkoye shines in pvp for a) sustained climbs without healthpack use b) quick hops (while slow in PVE, they are the fastest team in PvP and less hurt by a bad board). 

• theomen
    theomen Posts: 99 Match Maker
    I finished my first hoard just as Okoye was about to leave latest; I covered her but I only had a 1/2/5 Thor, so that excluded me from the current meta. I did champ Loki and OML, but I barely use them. I also have a fully covered Wasp I can't be bothered to champ.

My only saving grace is my champed Black Bolt. Most of the time I'll run Okoye with him and ramp up his passive to 15,000 damage a turn.

If BB doesn't seem to be working then I'll go for Medusa as you said Dormammu. I also enjoy 4* Carol and 3* Strange if they're boosted.

For Simulator I run Okoye, 4* Deadpool and Drax; they're quick and easy, provided you play against 5* teams.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2019
    My Okoye is 4/3/1 lvl 390, and she is essential to my quality of life in PVE at this point. I generally run Okoye/Medua/Chavez with +2 AP stacks on all colors for hard nodes, and just chase match 4s and teamp ups. Since I dumped and replaced my max-champ 3* thanos, I find that kind of high single target damage more reliable than Court Death. I have a 4* RTF at level 200, and I guess it helps - notice it most when it does the level 3 perk (when the supported character fires a power, there is a 17.99% chance to deal 1581 damage to the enemy team), usually as I'm firing her yellow, and suddenly half the team is dead. But supports that play AP games are hard to notice if you're playing fast, since that stuff is happening in the background quickly (adding team up, reducing power cost). 

As OP mentioned, it's wild how variant my node clear times can be based on board condition. I've tried using yellow batteries, but most of them aren't awesome. There are a few I've attempted:

· Cyclops (classic) - it costs you a firing of his own yellow, but if you can arrange to have yellow be your best color (RTF helps) then every time you match team-up, you gain yellow as well. 

· Valkyrie - again, if yellow is your best color, attack whoever bounty hunter says to to pick up 4 yellow. 

· Sandman - generally too expensive, yellow generation is unreliable off the purple power. Power costs just enough (8) that you'd prefer a purple battery

· 4* Kingpin - Rulk-level yellow control, but costs 8 purple - now you either need a purple battery or a lucky board. goes ok with medusa or valkyrie as a 3rd, since there is always a countdown out and gives a black outlet

2* Ms Marvel actually creates LOADS of team ups - 9 for 8 yellow vs the 4 for 7 yellow (assuming no RTF making it as low as 5) Okoye can create herself, but the health you get back from Okoye is nice. 

My own gladiathor is 1/0/2, so I can't use him for reliable yellow acquisition.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    Glockoma said:
    Great point. I do have a rank 3 Royal Talon Fighter and it is absolutely a game-changer. The same thing can be said about Grocket with Milano support. That countdown going off on turn-3 is often enough to take out an enemy and end a match sooner that it would have otherwise.
    Thank you! I had a 2* sitting in inventory gathering dust... No longer, my sweet sweet level 100 2* Milano...
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2019
    Yepyep said:
    Dormammu said:
    Glockoma said:
    Thank you! I had a 2* sitting in inventory gathering dust... No longer, my sweet sweet level 100 2* Milano...
    I actually kind of wish I hadn't leveled that one up. The amount of damage the countdown does is more or less irrelevant, it's just that it dips in on the Strikes again, and now they tank green over my champed Kitty, so they end up getting taken out more often.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep said:
    I actually kind of wish I hadn't leveled that one up. The amount of damage the countdown does is more or less irrelevant, it's just that it dips in on the Strikes again, and now they tank green over my champed Kitty, so they end up getting taken out more often.
    Super interesting comment. I haven't had a chance to use them much yet with the support, but I wonder if taking the attention off Kitty might not be better for me. With a lvl 320 Kitty, it might well be better for me to have R&G taken out than her, as long as the match doesn't last too long (in which case I need R&G's blue power "Rocket's Pack" to make new buffable tiles again).
  • Dormammu
    I have the same problem. I leveled my Milano to 50 and now R&G carries blue and green. I want Kitty tanking as many colors as possible so her own support (Element Guns) fortifies strikes tiles.

I may try Shuri's Lab on Kitty once I have some spare RISO.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yepyep said:
    Yepyep said:
    Super interesting comment. I haven't had a chance to use them much yet with the support, but I wonder if taking the attention off Kitty might not be better for me. With a lvl 320 Kitty, it might well be better for me to have R&G taken out than her, as long as the match doesn't last too long (in which case I need R&G's blue power "Rocket's Pack" to make new buffable tiles again).
    Yeah, it's a pretty variable situation. I actually leveled it up back before I champed Kitty, for exactly that reason, and it was very handy when she didn't have so much health. But now it just means an extra Health Pack spent on R&G every few nodes when I'm against tile-movers.
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 548 Critical Contributor
    This is the point; varying supports with certain character that flow together can have multiplicative effects. Just imagine if they implemented the supports into pvp and how much more complicated things would become...
  • Gold_Dragon
    Gold_Dragon Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Okoye
    5*DD
    GED

your team will never die. They just won’t. And with Doom having Victorious support, you deal damage if someone is healed. Boosted by Okoye’s passive, you end doing damage even if the opponent matches a yellow and black. DD stuns and damage off of them also gets multiplied with okoye’s Passive. 

Okoye 
    5*DD
    any cheap stunning character

you kill practically any character with 2 matches, 5 TUP AP and a stunner character. 
  • Dormammu
    Okoye 
    5*DD

you kill practically any character with 2 matches, 5 TUP AP and a stunner character. 
    My 5Daredevil made some progress this weekend. I'll have to remember this team when I finally get him champed.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2019
    Okoye
    5*DD
    GED

your team will never die. They just won’t. And with Doom having Victorious support, you deal damage if someone is healed. Boosted by Okoye’s passive, you end doing damage even if the opponent matches a yellow and black. DD stuns and damage off of them also gets multiplied with okoye’s Passive. 

Okoye 
    5*DD

Both my Okoye and Daredevil are champions, and I have Doom at 2/3/5. I also have 35 Legendary Tokens. This has made me very interested in trying to finish Doom before he leaves Latest.

Obviously I'm still going to run into obligatory Gritty+Bishop teams, but if Bishop can die to a 1-2 cascade on my first turn, or even from the AI matching black or yellow on its first turn, that's okay. 

+2 Team-Up boosts are cheap, they just cost Iso, of which I currently have 1.6 million, so I have no qualms about buying them until the cows come home.

Doom can use Black. Unfortunately his Blue is a passive, so that's the only color not "used" by this team, but it means you have solid rainbow coverage so every match deals  5-star damage.

Re: the Kitty-boosted Strike tiles, Daredevil can steal them, while Doom can destroy them if he dies, so if the match is going south you just need to get him in front.

Damn it. I am really tempted to spend my tiny hoard!

Come on, RNGesus!!! Daddy wants a new 5* Champion!!!

Grr. Close but no cigar. I got just 2 Black Doom covers, but no Yellow, taking him to 2/5/5. Grr. I do have 1 Saved cover on him, but I don't use Saved covers to finish a 5*.

I also got 7 Hela covers, taking her to 1/3/4, and just one yellow Marvel cover, putting her at 1/2/1. (I spent all my CP, too, plus the LTs and extra CP I got from Champion rewards, so all up it was approx. 50 pulls.

I also got a few Thanos covers in there, taking him to 5/4/1, so he's now 213 and ready for Sabretooth's Shield Training.

I may not have a Champion Doom, but I'll get him there. Oh yes, I will.

(edit: I misread his Blue power and thought the enemy took damage when they matched Black & Yellow, but that's how Doom heals. I did just a few test runs of Doom, DD, and Okoye in The Simulator and this teams work surprisingly well, even if Doom isn't a Champion. 51.3K HP at level 435 he's already a beast!)
  • Yepyep
    Dormammu said:
    Okoye 
    5*DD

My 5Daredevil made some progress this weekend. I'll have to remember this team when I finally get him champed.
    I keep notes on many of these suggestions in my phone... Couldn't live without it! I'm nowhere near as clever putting together teams as so many on the forum are.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    I finished Doom! First LT I pulled after beating Hulk v Thor's Crash this morning was a yellow Doom! Ridiculously lucky pull because he was at 2/5/5 so I needed that Yellow cover. That, or 2 more Saved covers to buy it. And I would have spent the 3 Saved covers too. But I didn't need to go that route, and I got the LT back from his first Champion level reward :smile:

And he's the 5E in the upcoming Deadpool vs MPQ event :smiley: