Storied Legends Store (3/20/19)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

Whether it's a legendary hero or villain, there is no shortage of history and backstory that follows them. This is certainly the case with Doctor Strange, Thanos, and Wolverine. That's why we're featuring these three iconic characters in our new Storied Legends Store. Check out the details below:
Storied Legends Store
  • Starts: 12pm EST 3/20/19
  • Ends: 12pm EST 3/25/19
  • Cost: 25 Command Points
  • 15% chance to acquire either...
    • Doctor Strange (Sorcerer Supreme)
    • Thanos (The Mad Titan)
    • Wolverine (Old Man Logan)

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just spent 25 CP yesterday and now the character I need 1 cover to champ (Thanos) is in a store.

Welp, that's just my luck.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Anon said:
    I just spent 25 CP yesterday and now the character I need 1 cover to champ (Thanos) is in a store.

...it wasn't a Green cover that you needed was it?
  • Anon
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Anon said:

Green or Purple. Long as it's not Black.
  • Anon
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Anon said:
    Brigby said:
    Anon said:

Green or Purple. Long as it's not Black.
    Soo uhh...I totally didn't get a Green Thanos cover from that store just now. Nope..

Grrr  :#
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanos said:
    @Brigby It would be nice if they'd announce these stores ahead of time so people can better manage their resources. Please pass it along. 
    Don't hold your breath.  Uncertainty fuels spending in a lot of ways.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanos said:
    @Brigby It would be nice if they'd announce these stores ahead of time so people can better manage their resources. Please pass it along. 
    I think a lot has been made of the lack of communication between the devs and players, most of it completely unfair of course, but this is one case where I agree.

It is borderline impossible to fully cover a 5* character without one of these stores. A heads up on when to expect them and which characters will be available would go a long way. It could literally mean the difference between getting a character champed now or years from now. My champed Cable, Kitty, and Kingpin mock my 3/1/3 Strang5 and 3/5/3 Thano5. 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock said:
    Thanos said:
    I think a lot has been made of the lack of communication between the devs and players, most of it completely unfair of course, but this is one case where I agree.

It is borderline impossible to fully cover a 5* character without one of these stores. A heads up on when to expect them and which characters will be available would go a long way. It could literally mean the difference between getting a character champed now or years from now. My champed Cable, Kitty, and Kingpin mock my 3/1/3 Strang5 and 3/5/3 Thano5. 
    "Borderline impossible"..... I guess I should play the lotto then. I pull classics, and since champing kitty just a bit before she left latests I have managed to champ archangel, black suit spidey, banner, and bolt.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If it wasn't for all the other special offers that have been coming out recently, I would think the almost fortnightly special 5* stores were an attempt to fix the availability of classic 5* characters.
    If it is an attempt to increase availability, it might not be the end of the world if you miss a store carrying the character you want.  It might be featured again soon anyway.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My reaction upons eeing the announcement:

Cool, a new vault.  I wonder who's in it.

*checks vault*

Thanos - Champed
    Dr Strange - Champed
    Old Man Logan - Champed

I've got six champed 5-stars, and three of them are in the vault.  Now *that* is a First World MPQ Problem to have.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,628 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It would have been nice to try and get an OML or Strange cover but I had just literally blown all my CP - I think I need to try and keep a closer eye on when these things are occuring.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    It would have been nice to try and get an OML or Strange cover but I had just literally blown all my CP - I think I need to try and keep a closer eye on when these things are occuring.
    The recent trend has been to launch these stores in the range of 3-9 days within a new 5* release (some before, some after).  So likely, many players use some of their CP reserves on the new 5 store.

It seems obvious that these stores are an attempt to build spending pressure with CP usage right around the new releases.

You can't really predict them since we don't know the exact timing of 5's, but you can usually hazard a reasonable guess.

You should always be hoarding if your goal is covering older 5's.  But the fact is that playing really hard and placing well in SCL9 is usually just barely enough to finish off the Latests as they cycle through.  (If that's your goal).
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly, it seems like we're getting a "25 CP for a 3 character Legendary Store not in Latest" about every other week now.  This includes new 5* releases, some are supporting costumes or such, but some like this one are just plain there.  That's really good, actually - it means that if you want to finish a particular 5*, hoard.  Sooner or later a store with it will come along and you'll almost certainly have your chance.

I really like that they're doing this, even though I myself don't really benefit from it (most of my 5* are champed now, and the rest will get there with feeders I'm sure.)  It gives players a lot more granularity on what to spend their CP on.
  • IYeaheahI
    IYeaheahI Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    Thanos said:

I agree 100%.

I basically missed the Thor/Okoye/Kitty store because it caught me unprepared and I barely had any CP.

It was a very disappointing experience so now I feel forced to save all of my CP and hoard in the hopes that this store will come around again.

The problem with that however is that I find it very un-rewarding to grind without being able to spend my CP. Especially without knowing 'if' and 'when' that moment I am saving for will come.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IYeaheahI said:
    Thanos said:

I agree 100%.

I basically missed the Thor/Okoye/Kitty store because it caught me unprepared and I barely had any CP.

It was a very disappointing experience so now I feel forced to save all of my CP and hoard in the hopes that this store will come around again.

The problem with that however is that I find it very un-rewarding to grind without being able to spend my CP. Especially without knowing 'if' and 'when' that moment I am saving for will come.

That's exactly the point.
    You are SUPPOSED to be caught be surprise by these stores so that you feel pressured to do a few buy clubs to get extra CPs.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    IYeaheahI said:
    Thanos said:

I agree 100%.

That's exactly the point.
    You are SUPPOSED to be caught be surprise by these stores so that you feel pressured to do a few buy clubs to get extra CPs.
    I doubt anyone is going to do those now for such an old chars.

Do people still do them, with such a bad streak of releases? (I am genuinely asking, I thought this was something people were not doing anymore). I don't see why anyone would do it now when Thor+Okoye or Rocket+Kitty beat everything, faster than anyone. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I'm posting these dates again:

Kingpin release and Family Legends opened  simultaneously on 12/13/18

Doom released 1/17, Masked Vengeance opened 1/21/19

2/19 Favorite Legends, 2/28 Galactic Heroes (CM release), 3/11 Legendary Leaders

Now 3/20 Storied Legends.

There seems to be a trend of creating focused periods of CP demand around new releases.

I do think people would jump into a buy club for a few covers of any of these 5's (certainly not to the level of many covers for non-metas, but if you were 1-3 short on Strange I could see someone deciding it's your one shot for like 6 months to finish them).
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,915 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If we got a heads up saying “next week we are running a store featuring X”, I know for me (a VERY grindy hardcore player) that’d give maybe 8-10 extra pulls. So a single 5* cover on average. It’s not like if I had known ahead of time I would have been able to champ Thorkoye and Kitty with those 8-10 pulls. 

I think the bigger issue is the length of time the vault is open. Have these rotate monthly. Give the non-hoarders (or which I’m not one) 30 days to pull from the vault playing naturally. I mean I get the business model. Spend now or miss out forever! Time is ticking! But I don’t know how well that works in practice in a game like this. And it is losing its power anyway as more and more opportunities to spend come up. I REALLY want to make some headway on Strange/OML. I could likely champ them while fattening the only character I play in PVE. And yet I’m passing because I’d rather spend my resources on Doom/Carol/??? and am not about to spend real money chasing both options. So I’m banking on OML/Strange coming up again at some point. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IYeaheahI said:
    Thanos said:

I agree 100%.

For demi/d3, you are describing a feature and not a bug. . .