Domri, Chaos Bringer: Official Thread

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited March 2019 in Planeswalker Details

manaredpngmanagreenpng Domri, Chaos Bringer manaredpngmanagreenpng

(At Level 60)
+0 manawhitepng | +0 manabluepng | +0 manablackpng | +4 manaredpng | +4 managreenpng 
123 HP
Creatures: 8 | Supports: 4 | Spells: 7

"Abandoned in the remaining wilds of Ravnica, Domri was forced to fend for himself, developing his innate magical talents to summon, command and empower huge beasts. He seeks a way to defeat the cyclops Borborygmos for leadership of the Gruul.

Some see this as a sign for the primeval god Ilharg, the Raze-Boar, whose coming is meant to bring civilization to an end."

Abilities

Rite of Passage - Cost 9
Level 1 - The first creature in your hand gains Haste.
Level 2 - The first creature in your hand gains Riot
Level 3 - Draw a card. The first...
Level 4 - The first 2 creatures in your hand...

Predatory Instinct - Cost 12
Level 1 - Fetch the first creature from your library. It gains 4 mana.
Level 2 - ... It gains 6 mana.
Level 3 - Fetch the first 2 creatures...
Level 4 - They gain 8 mana. Then, they gain Trample.

Hunting Grounds - Cost 21
Level 1 - Create a Minor Hunting Grounds Token.
Level 2 - Create a Hunting Grounds Token.
Level 3 - Create an Improved Hunting Grounds Token.
Level 4 - Create a Major Hunting Grounds Token.

Tokens

Hunting Grounds
Minor Token - [Red, Green] Support Card (4) - At the end of your turn, reinforce your first creature. If you can't, create a Gruul Beast Token.
Token - ...Gruul Beast Token. Your creatures with power 5 or more gain Trample.
Improved - At the end of each turn, reinforce...
Major - ...power 5 or more gain Berserker and Trample.

Gruul Beast
[Red, Green] 4/4 Beast Token, Trample

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks solid - abilitywise a bit weaker than samut, but with a better deck load, so a Planeswalker I'll have some fun with
  • OmegaLolrus
    OmegaLolrus Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Of the three, this is the one I'm thinking I might skip the wait and spend actual cash on getting... He looks like he can play pretty fun and I already quite like his Planeswalker Deck in paper Magic... Really interested to see how the Gruul cards turn out, but I like 'im.
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    RG with 7 spells, love it
  • WiLDRAGE
    WiLDRAGE Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2019
    The negative mana gains on Samut and her low spell pool have made me come to despise her. Domri looks so much better for a R/G Planeswalker.  Probably the only one I get.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Agree with the sentiments here, this is the walker to get from this set...  7 Spells is nice too, as the 4 spell limit was a huge factor in my Samut options...
  • Elektrophorus
    Elektrophorus Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Looks like he sort of goes against the real “Domri” aggro flavor and will play best in a Control style. His ultimate is almost like Thopter Spy Network or Ajani’s ultimate.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    Look very solid and should be a top tier PW at least for this colour scheme. 
  • BigSwifty
    BigSwifty Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Very nice! Now I'm torn on whether I want to pick him up or keep going with Samut, who I quite like.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tremayne said:
    What counts as "top tier" for Red/Green?  Including Domri there are now 4 (non-colorless) walkers with these colors.

I doubt Domri will be better than Brokhan, and at first glance I don't think he's better than Samut.

So if "top tier" for Red/Green means "better than Arlinn" than yeah, he's definitely in the top!  Otherwise I think he's just yet another solid walker.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    Tremayne said:
    What counts as "top tier" for Red/Green?  Including Domri there are now 4 (non-colorless) walkers with these colors.

I doubt Domri will be better than Brokhan, and at first glance I don't think he's better than Samut.

So if "top tier" for Red/Green means "better than Arlinn" than yeah, he's definitely in the top!  Otherwise I think he's just yet another solid walker.
    well, let's just have a look 1 by 1:

Arlinn is a great PW, but she solely shines with werewolves. She'll always be my go-for walker for the two events requiring playing werewolves. So we've got a niche pw.

Brokhan is brokhan. He just plays in a completely different league and the only reason to use one of the others is because you don't want to build that deck for him, or you can't afford him.

Samut is extremly creature oriented. Her abilities are useless without a full board, and her deck-building limitations are brutal. She's great at what she does, but she isn't versatile - even arlinn could run some red-green strategies better than samut.

Domri will be overtaking Arlinn for the single reason that there are no werewolves in standard. Domri will also shine anywhere where Samut can't for her deck building restrictions - and in this very combo oriented meta, she'll likely be the better choice. I can see myself using her with some really nasty stuff.
    Domris first is basically useless in most cases. her second makes her a fun ghaltafetcher, and her ult makes her even better at playing ghalta.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2019
    Mburn7 said:
    Tremayne said:

well, let's just have a look 1 by 1:

Arlinn is a great PW, but she solely shines with werewolves. She'll always be my go-for walker for the two events requiring playing werewolves. So we've got a niche pw.

Brokhan is brokhan. He just plays in a completely different league and the only reason to use one of the others is because you don't want to build that deck for him, or you can't afford him.

Samut is extremly creature oriented. Her abilities are useless without a full board, and her deck-building limitations are brutal. She's great at what she does, but she isn't versatile - even arlinn could run some red-green strategies better than samut.

Domri will be overtaking Arlinn for the single reason that there are no werewolves in standard. Domri will also shine anywhere where Samut can't for her deck building restrictions - and in this very combo oriented meta, she'll likely be the better choice. I can see myself using her with some really nasty stuff.
    Domris first is basically useless in most cases. her second makes her a fun ghaltafetcher, and her ult makes her even better at playing ghalta.
    I don't totally agree with this, although I see your point about the deckbuilding.  The extra 3 spells can definitely come in handy (although he's also stuck at 4 supports).

Looking again at Domri's abilities and your arguments, I'm starting to think him and Samut are pretty much equal in terms of power.  Samut is a more blitz oriented walker.  Her mana is explosive (but inconsistent) and her abilities ramp damage up extremely quickly (I almost never use her ult since her first deals so much damage).  Domri has more consistent mana but a lesser Green bonus (so he ramps slower), and his abilities seem more useful for a longer match.  That ult will end games fairly quickly but will take time to get to, and his second is definitely solid.

So how I see it Samut gets the edge in speed and first ability, Domri gets the edge in ult and consistency, and they're even with their second (Samut's is also a very good ability, and which one is better of the two is pretty situational)

My initial comment may have been a bit hasty and colored by my favoritism of Samut (my Samut blitz decks are probably the most fun I've made in MTGPQ), and I'm sorry for the snark.  Hope I didn't offend too much.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Mburn7 - no problem, I can take it.  :D

will wait for Domri until he can be bought for crystals.