New X-Men Movie: Would you like to see Phoenix get a buff?

Glockoma
Glockoma Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
I know there are many other facets to the game that need looking into, but for the sake of the Dark Phoenix movie, I thought I would bring up an update to an out-dated character. 

From low match damage and low power output, to an unfortified respawn tile there are plenty of ways to bring her back to a playable character. 

What, if any, suggestions do you have or if you think she is fine how she is?
Tagged:

Comments

• Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    I'd actually like to see them take at least a couple of months off from releasing new characters, and spend it updating and improving ones that are already in the game. There are more than enough that could use it. If they wanted to use Phoenix as part of that, or as the kick-off to the idea, great.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Our Disney overlords do not profit from the soon-coming Dark Phoenix film. I doubt we'll even see the movie acknowledged in MPQ.
  • Glockoma
    Being as this is iterated as the first Fox film released under Marvel, (meaning it passed through the hands of all-father Feige and he gave it a go after some tweaking), it could be something Disney would like to see succeed. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t acknowledge it, but after the merger, this could be more celebratory than once perceived when these movies (Fox) were on the chopping block last summer.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    Glockoma said:
    Being as this is iterated as the first Fox film released under Marvel, (meaning it passed through the hands of all-father Feige and he gave it a go after some tweaking), it could be something Disney would like to see succeed.
    Dark Phoenix isn't being released under Disney, Marvel, or Marvel studios. It has it's own producers (moneymakers) and is still being distributed by 20th Century Fox. Disney's acquisition of Fox isn't finalized yet. The only profit Disney will see is whatever marginal sum (if any) was agreed upon in the original licensing deal made years ago.

Dark Phoenix director Simon Kinberg said Feige had a chance to read the script, nothing more. Feige doesn't have the power to officially influence the film or its release in any way.

In a way I hope Dark Phoenix, and what will be the last Fox X-film: New Mutants, both suck. That way Marvel Studios won't have any hesitation to entirely reboot the mutants into the MCU. The Fox films, while they had their moments, are a hot mess of contradictions and confusing continuity problems that are just ignored and perpetuated upon with every new film released. They drive me crazy. 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    if they get rid of her detrimental, self-damaging qualities she'd be a lot more usable.
  • Glockoma
    Dormammu said:
    Glockoma said:
    Dark Phoenix isn't being released under Disney, Marvel, or Marvel studios. It has it's own producers (moneymakers) and is still being distributed by 20th Century Fox. Disney's acquisition of Fox isn't finalized yet. The only profit Disney will see is whatever marginal sum (if any) was agreed upon in the original licensing deal made years ago.

Dark Phoenix director Simon Kinberg said Feige had a chance to read the script, nothing more. Feige doesn't have the power to officially influence the film or its release in any way.

In a way I hope Dark Phoenix, and what will be the last Fox X-film: New Mutants, both suck. That way Marvel Studios won't have any hesitation to entirely reboot the mutants into the MCU. The Fox films, while they had their moments, are a hot mess of contradictions and confusing continuity problems that are just ignored and perpetuated upon with every new film released. They drive me crazy. 
    I couldn’t agree more about the ups and downs the past 19 years have been with the Fox films.  Of the articles I have read, I don’t suspect anyone, let alone Fox making much money off this film. Too many delays, too much fatigue, and the fact the Logan and Deadpool vastly overshadowed the franchise as a conclusive end to the Fox era. In fact, I fully suspect that the franchise gets “netflixed”. No matter what: cancelled; Cancelled into reboot regardless of what the fans expect, license agreements detail, or whether the actors made solid characters.

From what I have read about the relationship between Fox’s Marvel and Disney’s, Bob Iger is not going to keep two creative think-tanks. They know that the fans are over the Fox side of things and will let the remaining films continue on cruise control as they will probably produce mediocre numbers. But there is no doubt in my mind that the latest trailers look FAR more polished than those from last summer when the film was supposed to be released in November.

They fact that the director corroborated Mystique’s death tells me many more Xmen can bite the dust in the film. With the franchise end in sight, they can setup or shut down whatever they want, especially since the script has passed through Feige’s hands. There is always misleading information that can come from Disney MCU for the sake of keeping fans on their toes. (I.e.-Hulk in the infinity war trailers).

################################

TLDR aside, my hope is that this will probably be the only time that we can gain a 5* rework of the titular character. I’m only advocating because of her low skills and utility. Low match damage, Low power output, predictable special respawn power, and self-damaging effects. I actually like the “losing control part” of the power, but when Jessica Jones can trump you in raw power and strike tiles for the same ap cost...tis a sad day. 

Jean’s purple is fantastic. I would love, however, a “jump in front” component to her green that could force her into control.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    One of the easiest ways to tweak Phoenix would be to give her a transformation element - say reach x amount of AP and Jean loses control and becomes Dark Phoenix. In that form you could boost all her numbers and give her some additional powers. 
  • Glockoma
    I concur, her purple could fuel a red ap threshold.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    She'll probably get an alternate costume and be featured in some sort of legendary special store.
  • Glockoma
    Most likely. I think many of us, however, would like to see some of those character reworks that they used to talk about in the days of yore.