***** Captain Marvel (Galactic Warrior) *****

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    My confusion is this.

(2nd passive text) When Captain Marvel has less than 10 Green AP, this power becomes Event Horizon.
    • Level 2: ...places a 2-turn Countdown tile...
    • Level 3: No Change
    • Level 4: ...places a 1-turn Countdown tile...
    • Level 5: Captain Marvel destroys a random row...
    So...what damage changes with her green when you fire it with 10AP?
    Where's this countdown timer meant to be? What's it for? If it was for gathering green AP, why is it not listed as part of the first passive?
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    3/5/5
    @Dragon_Nexus now I'm confused at your confusion.

"So...what damage changes with her green when you fire it with 10AP?"

Her Green's base damage doesn't change regardless of how many covers it has.

"Where's this countdown timer meant to be? What's it for? If it was for gathering green AP, why is it not listed as part of the first passive?"

I'm not sure what you mean by "where is this CD supposed to be". The Countdown is placed in a random basic tile. It's meant to destroy the row it's on when it reaches 0. It is NOT used for gathering AP; that belongs to Carol's REPEATER tile.

REPEATER: gather Green AP.
    COUNTDOWN: destroys its row (1-4 covers).
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/3/5
    In case it’s not clear, green’s Damage is all tile destruction. Which could add up with her high match damage....but note that Okoye won’t do anything to enhance it. 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    3/5/5
    bluewolf said:
    In case it’s not clear, green’s Damage is all tile destruction. Which could add up with her high match damage....but note that Okoye won’t do anything to enhance it. 
    "Captain Marvel places a 3-turn Countdown tile that destroys its row and deals 6643 damage".

So the damage from destroyed tiles is in addition to the base 6643, which is boosted by Okoye.
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Nerfing Thor would be a horrible idea. It wouldn't mean people would suddenly start using these characters reliant on repeater tiles that take three times as long. It'd just mean Gritty takes over the meta on its own. As @Vhailorx has detiled several times, on the competitive level these characters are a complete waste of time. And I appreciate that not everyone plays the game for placement, or to finish everything as quickly as possible, but it'd be nice if a few more characters were relevant to the people who do.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    She definitely seems underwhelming compared to her 4* version. Not sure how much her higher match damage factored into that.
  • FesterTester
    FesterTester Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Well, we have a week until her companion Support presumably comes out.
    Others have pointed out that there are already supports with a chance to fortify special tiles (multiple supports have this), so her companion support could include powers such as:

* Chance to fortify a friendly repeater each turn or when certain events happen (I think existing supports that can do this dilute the chance of hitting a repeater by including other special tiles, so this would be new).

* Chance to reduce the timer on a friendly repeater when certain events happen, or a chance each turn if it's the synergy power for 5*Carol.

I haven't considered whether a chance to specifically fortify or lower the countdown on friendly repeaters could be overpowered on other characters with a repeater-based power, this isn't really the thread for discussing hypothetical support powers.
    Just pointing out that we haven't really seen her "full" powers until we know her companion support, if there is one.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,902 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/3/5
    himatako said:
    I suppose it's been a while since we have a power that drastically changes its behavior from placing a CD tile to not placing one and activate the effect of the CD tile right away like this. Hence the confusion.

As for her green, the damage seems really situational so I tried calculating the damage for each scenario:

Number of friendly special tiles Min Max
    0 7363 12667
    1 8083 18691
    2 8803 24715
    3 9523 30739
    4 10243 36763
    5 10963 42787
    6 11683 48811
    7 12403 54835
    8 12403 54835

** For the sake of simplicity, I assume the following:
        - Minimum damage assumes a board full with row of 4 blue tiles and 4 purple tiles
        - Maximum damage assumes a board full with rows of 4 red tiles and 4 green tiles
        - After the first row is destroyed, the power continues to destroy the other rows before the cascade happens.

So it seems that if you can guarantee that all rows have at least one friendly special tile, you can deal an average of 13k damage + any cascade after that.

I wish we could select a row we can destroy. It would have been a really good power. 

Also, seeing all these repeater tiles gives me a feeling that 5*Thor will be nerfed and his passive will create a repeater tile that does the same thing when his health is under 50% instead of doing that automatically every turn.

EDITED: Fixed the table since I made a mistake and added the base damage to each additional row destruction. The formula should be correct now: base damage + row damage * ( 1 + number of friendly special tile)
    I think your max damage calc is a bit out based on what Brigby wrote:

"Activating Photonic Rush will destroy one random row and deal 6643 damage. If there is a friendly special tile(s) in that one random row, then it will proceed to destroy an additional random row for each friendly special tile that was destroyed. This does not continue if there are friendly special tiles in the additional rows destroyed."

I read this to mean it's NOT like Wiccans power where every time it  selects a row with a special it continues. Rather if the initial row contains 1 friendly special it will destroy 1 more row max. If the initial row contains 2 friendly specials it will destroy 2 more rows etc.

So the only way to destroy lots of extra rows is if the initial row has a lot of friendly specials. So unless you have Carnage or 3* Storm to generate a ton of friendly specials it's unlikely you will do more the 1 additional row.

KGB

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    She does seem a bit underwhelming. I agree with the consensus that she's just too slow. I suspect you'd rather take C4rol over her 5* counterpart. (Unless maybe you're firmly established in 5* territory already)
  • BlackBoltRocks
    edited February 2019
    3/5/5
    DeNappa said:
    I suspect you'd rather take C4rol over her 5* counterpart. (Unless maybe you're firmly established in 5* territory already)
    Nah, I'd still take 4* Carol over 5* Carol. At least the former can instantly proc Countdown tiles such as Thanos', Hawkeye's, Goblin's, Phoenix's; has an awesome nuke; and a useful passive.

5* Carol? I'd rather use Jessica's Red; I'd rather use Black Bolt's or Archangel's Green; and while her Yellow is a good ability, it's hard countered by Archangel.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not really impressed. Other than Vulture I don't have the potential partners covered (Archangel, Cable, Goblin) enough to make her relevant. Maybe the one after (connected to End Games I guess) will change things around but as it stands I think I will continue to hoard a bit longer. 

Saddly I've missed out on Kitty (no hoard to splash on her) so I have to relay on Thorkoye. If one of them is nerfed my playing time will plummet even more. 
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2019
    KGB said:
    I think your max damage calc is a bit out based on what Brigby wrote:

"Activating Photonic Rush will destroy one random row and deal 6643 damage. If there is a friendly special tile(s) in that one random row, then it will proceed to destroy an additional random row for each friendly special tile that was destroyed. This does not continue if there are friendly special tiles in the additional rows destroyed."

I read this to mean it's NOT like Wiccans power where every time it  selects a row with a special it continues. Rather if the initial row contains 1 friendly special it will destroy 1 more row max. If the initial row contains 2 friendly specials it will destroy 2 more rows etc.

So the only way to destroy lots of extra rows is if the initial row has a lot of friendly specials. So unless you have Carnage or 3* Storm to generate a ton of friendly specials it's unlikely you will do more the 1 additional row.

KGB

That's actually how I interpreted it and used in the calculation. The first column meant "number of friendly special tiles in the first randomly selected row". Perhaps I should edit and clarify this. 

This is why I said if you can guarantee that each row you have at least 1 friendly special tile, then it doesn't matter which row is selected as your first row, since you'll get at least 1 more additional row and it should deal around 13k damage. 

With the way this power work and since the first row is random, it's possible that the first selected row is the one with only 1 friendly special tile, and the additional row ends up being the row with 5+ special tiles as the additional row. That's the most unfortunate scenario but I can see it happen lol. 

Now that I think about it, leaving her green at 4 might be a better idea since the row the CD tile belongs is the one that will be destroyed. You at least have a chance to control the board before the CD tile goes off.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Could probably have been pretty good if the countdowns/repeaters were just one less across the board. As it is, I Think she is probably too slow to make an impact.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Great analysis himetako.

I agree with your assessment that Carol and her power kit make Thor's green passive and kitty's yellow passive (plus grocket) seem more obviously outside the envelope of "permitted" powers. 

So a a future change would not surprise me.  But it would be very sad, because those speedy characters are a huge qol boon given the dozens of matches mom wants us to play every day.  Demi, please don't take away our best tools without also changing the systems that make those tools essential.

Who is the meta if gritty and Thor are nerfed?  Who pairs best with okoye?  Is JJ back in the mix?

• randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    jredd said:
    here, devs, i fixed her for you. quickly run back and work on the changes and numbers.

1st ability: black: 9 ap: photonic barrage: place a 3 turn countdown that produces 2 strike tiles per turn. deals damage to the target enemy when it hits 0

2nd ability: green: passive: energy manipulation: when the enemy makes a match in any of cap marvel's strong colours, steal 1 ap in that colour. if the enemy's strongest colour is the same as cap's generate 5 red ap when that colour is matched.

3rd ability: red: passive: photonic blasts: when you have more than 8 red ap, spend 1 red ap to do aoe damage to all enemies. (similar to 4* blade's red).

she'd kill with thorkoye. maybe overkill now that i think about it. but they'd be fun. better than captain repeater tile...
    That's a really good build.  Kinda lumps in all the best of the previous CMs with some new flavor.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:

Who is the meta if gritty and Thor are nerfed?  Who pairs best with okoye?  Is JJ back in the mix?

Okoye with whoever you have champed.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/3/5
    So as I am looking at 5* marvel if I had to use her in PVP who would I use her with? Here are some interesting partners for her.

DD starting at 1/2 health gives you strike tiles and Will tank yellow and potentially green for carol.  You can use DD green and purple and carols red and yellow.  A little slow but with DD tanking could save some health packs.  

OML again a meat shield but probably a poor one.  If you can collect black and red might be effective but OML is old out of date.

JJ.  This one is interesting becuase JJ will generate red for her strike tiles Marvel will generate yellow but JJ can use black and Carol green.  Carol st 3,5,5 with this team could get interesting.  This team would be hard on the health packs.

doom this would be a super slow team but Doom could save a ton of health packs with the true healing.  

Loki.  With Loki’s purple this could spam a ton of special tiles to get destroyed and generate a ton of yellow.  Loki can regenerate after death saving health packs and Carols green could work well with Loki.  More of a gimic team than great.

lastly a cheat with gritty kitty.  As a third who can generate extra yellow it can allow kitty to get out some extra protect tiles early so you can actually match with rocket.  You can use Carol red and hope it survives.  When you run gritty kitty the biggest risk is you gets a ton of strike tiles destroyed up from and she can’t buff them.  This would allow you to replenish your tiles if that happened.

overall I don’t think she replaces any meta 5*characters she does not pair great with Thor, Okoye, kitty on her own.  Hopefully I am wrong and see she is stronger than I think but I feel she is to CD and repeater tile dependent and with other 5* with repeater tiles they have been shown to be far less than top tier.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    I had the night to think about this...

Players are constantly talking about QOL, reducing the amount of time to play in order to achieve max prog, etc etc...

You have maybe the most powerful hero from the MCU about to have her origin movie release and be part of maybe the biggest movie in Marvel history (Endgame)....  And this is what we get?

I hope I am missing something.  I hope I have to come back here and eat my words.  I really really do.  I want to be wrong about this.

Thank goodness I pulled from the recent store.  Probably would have quit otherwise.  Game was becoming such a drag.  Now with a lower-level Thorokoye I have some renewed life.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    Wymtime, her match damage is so high that it will be very hard to tank for her.  Her second color (green) just edges out Thor"s highest color at equal levels. and Thor was already among the highest match damage 5*s.

Without boosting, targeted support usage, or lots of champ levels she will likely tank at least red and green almost all the time.