Vraska, Golgari Queen: Official Thread

2»

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just a FYI - her first works fine if you concentrate on 1/1 critters that get buffed.removing a reinforcement doesn't remove the cumulated buff.

Not that she'd be good or even meta relevant in any way.
  • BigSwifty
    BigSwifty Posts: 98 Match Maker
    I want the first ability to discard a creature card in lieu of losing a reinforcement. I want the second ability to destroy cards from the top of your library before the undergrowth negatives are applied to the target (2,4,6 and 8 cards at level 1,2,3 and 4), and the damage dealt by the ultimate needs to equal the number of creatures in your graveyard divided by 2 and lose the creature on the board + damage dealt qualifier.
  • Wolfteeth
    Wolfteeth Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    BigSwifty said:
    I want the first ability to discard a creature card in lieu of losing a reinforcement. I want the second ability to destroy cards from the top of your library before the undergrowth negatives are applied to the target (2,4,6 and 8 cards at level 1,2,3 and 4), and the damage dealt by the ultimate needs to equal the number of creatures in your graveyard divided by 2 and lose the creature on the board + damage dealt qualifier.
    Totally agree

• Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2019
    So, I've been messing around with a Vraska 2 deck that is...well, I don't want to mislead anybody and say that it's strong, or even especially competitive, but it's been fun and weird.

The key to it are two mythics from the new set, one being the mythic Vanguard Nissa, and the other being Blast Zone. Blast Zone is a weird and slightly unpredictable form of boardwipe (important to note: if its shield value gets above 10, it will destroy itself when it goes off), but it's also a land, which makes it rather uniquely easy to fetch, for a board wipe. Vanguard Nissa is an endless source of hasty 1/1 tokens (nice fuel for Vraska's 1st ability), her second can trigger a bunch of blast zones outta nowhere if that's the only land you run, and she's immune to boardwipes like Blast Zone. Throw in The Great Aurora and Kaya's Wrath and you can just keep wiping the board over and over, while your tokens from Nissa trigger Vraska's (indestructible) 3rd-ability support, meaning your damage slowly ramps up despite repeated board wipes. You can throw in another creature-generating Vanguard (I like Ugin so far) if you want to be able to rebuild after board wipes even faster. I also like running Molderhulk in there; his Undergrowth works well with the repeated nuking of your own creatures, and he can pull a previously-exploded Blast Zone out of the graveyard.

Blast Zone being your most "reliable" board wipe means it's pretty strong against token decks, and significantly weaker against decks which just rush a fatty into play like Gaea's Revenge. (You won't get a Blast Zone up to 23 shield before a GR kills you, I've tried!)

Anyways, like I said, it's not necessarily strong, nor is it particularly fast, and it requires some hard-to-get cards to do, but I feel like it actually makes good use of Vraska 2's abilities, which is hard to do.