Your Best MPQ Moment of the day (positive thread)

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Currently sitting 71st in Venom Bomb SCL9 with wildly sub-optimal clear times. I kind of want to see if I can just...walk away and still finish t200 for that single Namor, since the only difference between 51-100 and 101-200 is 500iso...
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    Currently sitting 71st in Venom Bomb SCL9 with wildly sub-optimal clear times. I kind of want to see if I can just...walk away and still finish t200 for that single Namor, since the only difference between 51-100 and 101-200 is 500iso...
    This is exactly what I did except I was hovering around the 100 position, I won't find out until I get home later whether I have a shiny Namor or not (also I'm not sure why he would be shiny anyway, I hope he hasn't been swimming in nuclear waste again).
  • DAZ0273
    Ouch. Yeah, he and Danny wouldn't really work too well together as far as I can see. He might actually work well with C4ge, tho.
    Yeah, as KP needs Danny to make the strike tile that he can then give to the bad guys after getting more blue...well I just gave up on that and used Kingpin to absorb Photon blasts. He didn't last very long.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daughter's first birthday this weekend, so grinding a release event was out, bracket sniped this morning, green ticked everything before leaving the house, 4.5 hours later i was still in the top 20.
    Result!
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    My Latest Legends streak went through a long drought before resuming something close to 1:7.  Today I made up for the drought.  I'd saved up 8 LL tokens waiting for Kitty to leave, because I'd had no luck finding Kingpin and just wanted to try when there were two characters that I needed in the vault, not just one.  I went 4:8, plus a bonus 5*.  Two yellow Dooms, an additional green for Cable, and a black Kingpin.  The bonus was a blue Kingpin.

RNG wanted me to have some Fisk in my diet, because the four 4*s were Winter Soldier, Elektra, and two more Kingpins.
  • Spyder
    Spyder Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    4 pulls in LL and got the last 2 5 stars I was missing.  There my highlight. 
  • DAZ0273
    Dormammu said:

Now I just have to figure out a team to put around him. Where's Cannonball and Wolfsbane when you need them?
    Or better yet  how about some Shatterstar & Wolfsbane Feral action?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I ended up green-checking the main story line on the final sub of Venom Bomb and walking away, and still finished 89th overall for a purple Namor and a 1/0/2 build. I'll be curious to see how my plan of not chasing Namor via bonus heroes treats me for upcoming shield training events, but your boy has to play the long game and get 70 more Chavez covers if I'm ever going to get a second champ 5* on purpose...
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    TLDR: For the first time in a very, very long time, I finished T10/CL8 in a release event and got all three of the new 4*'s covers

And now for the essay :dizzy:

As an entry-level 5* player (with a Champion Okoye :wink:) I normally play CL9, but as I had just one Kingpin cover I decided to drop down to CL8 for Venom Bomb. I also joined slice 5, where the subs began & ended at 11pm (my time), but as this event took place mostly over the weekend I knew I'd have no problem staying up late to do my clears.

After crushing my initial clears and seeing I was in the low teens, I figured I probably had a decent chance of staying inside T20, and to make sure, instead of playing casually like I normally do, I tried to optimally time my final clears, and hit my initial clears as hard as I could.

And in order to make sure I didn't nod off while doing my clears, not only did I not do my clears in bed :tired_face:, but I went to the kitchen and stood at the counter. As my clears were taking approximately 35 minutes each set, that meant that from approx. 10:30pm to 11:30pm each night I was standing up at the kitchen counter playing MPQ :tongue:

After doing my final clears on the penultimate sub, and my initial clears on the final sub, I saw that I was not only well inside T20, I was actually #11, right behind an Alliance mate in #10. I was very eager to get all 3 covers, but I wasn't happy at the thought that I may be knocking out my Alliance-mate to do so.

I went to bed Sunday night around 11:45pm, got up at 4am Monday for work (like I usually do), then stayed up late again Monday night for my final clears. I decided I would start 5-6 minutes early so I could clear the Loaner node as well, which is something I normally do not do when I'm playing casually, and also had not been doing in this event either. Not until tonight (last night).

I cleared the loaner node 3 times, wrecked the regular nodes, then hit the 3E, 4E, and 5E nodes, in that order. I left the 2E node until last because the others are worth more points, and even though I'd started early I was starting to get worried that I was still going to run out of time. I used power ups to help make sure I could fully clear the 5E node without a hitch, and with just a few minutes remaining used even more power ups to help speed up my 2E clears. The 5th went well but I got a horrible board for the 6th and it seemed to take forever. When I went to start the final/7th clear, I saw I had <1 Minute remaining, but decided to hit it anyway. The 7th clear went a lot smoother than the 6th, but after the Victory screen I got the "event ended" screen.

Nervous I swiped right (or is it left?) and was elated to see the Venom Bomb results showing me at #10. Even better was that I hadn't knocked out my Alliance mate, he was #8, while a third Alliance mate was #5.

Then I saw #11 was just 260 points behind me, and I realized that if I hadn't started my final clears early and hit the Loaner node, I'd have been #11.

Of course if I'd started my final clears a little early and hit the Loaner node every night/sub, the race would not have been nearly as close. In fact, now that I think about it, as there were just 1,000 points separating me from #1, it occurs to me now that if had hit the Loaner node every night...I could have been competing for the top spot, and not fighting for 10th place. Hmm. Nah. I like my sleep :tongue: Thanks for reading! 
  • Steel_Colt
    Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    JSP869 said:
    TLDR: For the first time in a very, very long time, I finished T10/CL8 in a release event and got all three of the new 4*'s covers

And now for the essay :dizzy:

As an entry-level 5* player (with a Champion Okoye :wink:) I normally play CL9, but as I had just one Kingpin cover I decided to drop down to CL8 for Venom Bomb. I also joined slice 5, where the subs began & ended at 11pm (my time), but as this event took place mostly over the weekend I knew I'd have no problem staying up late to do my clears.

After crushing my initial clears and seeing I was in the low teens, I figured I probably had a decent chance of staying inside T20, and to make sure, instead of playing casually like I normally do, I tried to optimally time my final clears, and hit my initial clears as hard as I could.

And in order to make sure I didn't nod off while doing my clears, not only did I not do my clears in bed :tired_face:, but I went to the kitchen and stood at the counter. As my clears were taking approximately 35 minutes each set, that meant that from approx. 10:30pm to 11:30pm each night I was standing up at the kitchen counter playing MPQ :tongue:

After doing my final clears on the penultimate sub, and my initial clears on the final sub, I saw that I was not only well inside T20, I was actually #11, right behind an Alliance mate in #10. I was very eager to get all 3 covers, but I wasn't happy at the thought that I may be knocking out my Alliance-mate to do so.

I went to bed Sunday night around 11:45pm, got up at 4am Monday for work (like I usually do), then stayed up late again Monday night for my final clears. I decided I would start 5-6 minutes early so I could clear the Loaner node as well, which is something I normally do not do when I'm playing casually, and also had not been doing in this event either. Not until tonight (last night).

I cleared the loaner node 3 times, wrecked the regular nodes, then hit the 3E, 4E, and 5E nodes, in that order. I left the 2E node until last because the others are worth more points, and even though I'd started early I was starting to get worried that I was still going to run out of time. I used power ups to help make sure I could fully clear the 5E node without a hitch, and with just a few minutes remaining used even more power ups to help speed up my 2E clears. The 5th went well but I got a horrible board for the 6th and it seemed to take forever. When I went to start the final/7th clear, I saw I had <1 Minute remaining, but decided to hit it anyway. The 7th clear went a lot smoother than the 6th, but after the Victory screen I got the "event ended" screen.

Nervous I swiped right (or is it left?) and was elated to see the Venom Bomb results showing me at #10. Even better was that I hadn't knocked out my Alliance mate, he was #8, while a third Alliance mate was #5.

Then I saw #11 was just 260 points behind me, and I realized that if I hadn't started my final clears early and hit the Loaner node, I'd have been #11.

Of course if I'd started my final clears a little early and hit the Loaner node every night/sub, the race would not have been nearly as close. In fact, now that I think about it, as there were just 1,000 points separating me from #1, it occurs to me now that if had hit the Loaner node every night...I could have been competing for the top spot, and not fighting for 10th place. Hmm. Nah. I like my sleep :tongue: Thanks for reading! 
    Congrats, impressive haul. However, and I'm hesitant to say this since I don't want to bum you out, starting 5 minutes earlier and doing the Loaner node every day wouldn't have cost you any sleep... ;)
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Steel_Colt said:

Congrats, impressive haul. However, and I'm hesitant to say this since I don't want to bum you out, starting 5 minutes earlier and doing the Loaner node every day wouldn't have cost you any sleep... ;)
    I know. I normally never do the Loaner node, and I normally never finish close to this well, either. Typically I'm in the 20s to 30s. I am definitely not bummed :smiley: It was very eye-opening though to see that I could have possibly finished #1, or close to it, had I routinely cleared the loaner nodes as well.

Will I clear the loaner nodes now, moving forward? I think I probably will.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Squeaked out a T20 finish in CL9 for Venom Bomb. I had been T10 until the third sub. Got stuck at a Super Bowl party and by the time I got home, I just missed the final clear for the 3* and 4* essential nodes.

I figured that would put me just outside T20 for the final, but it seems enough people either also messed up the third sub or final sub that it was good enough for T20.

So I should finish this release event with a 2/3/4 Namor. His black should be the 2K reward for Sim next season, so he should be ready for S.H.I.E.L.D Training without a single token pull! 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    ...ROYAL TALON FIGHTER?!?!?
    Best Rank 1 support in the game. Congrats!