A thought on a 5* wasp rework.

Options
tiomono
tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
Her swarm tiles are key to who she is. But then at only 4 on the board you can no longer generate them until you destroy them. So I was thinking...

Turn all 3 of her powers into a version of spiderwomans purple. Once you have 4 swarm on the board you can choose to call the swarm, or choose to continue to use the power as normal. Move her call the swarm passive that increases her match damage per swarm tile to the normal side of one of her powers.

This I think would leave her interesting while not overpowering. People might actually want to use her.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I suggesting something crazy or could this work? Discuss.

Comments

• ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    give her the reed treatment.

like rolling a new weapon in diablo.
    different stats, maybe a whole new weapon. 

throw some wasp covers in kadalas face, chances are you end up with a while new character. 
    name and covers stay the same  though. 
  • tiomono
    Options
    @ammenell

Why not just make a whole new character then? I was wanting discussion on a tweak to wasp. Not throwing her in a randomizer and hoping what comes out is decent.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Here's  another idea for a rework. I think it's close to her current mechanics? Swarm tiles are not locked in this version, just a unique special tile for Wasp, and can be fortified. Also, still neutral. 

Sting Operation - Places a fortified swarm tile on a chosen color (random basic tile). 
    (PASSIVE) - When you match a swarm tile, steal 1 AP of its color. If your team now has more AP than the enemy in that color, deal (tiny) damage for each swarm tile on the board (all in one tick).

Shrink Tactics - Leave the same, but can also target Wasp. If target is a teammate, add a couple protect tiles.
    (PASSIVE) - While Wasp is invisible, her matches do more damage for each swarm tile on the board.

Pain Index - Leave the same.
    (PASSIVE) - Whenever a friendly special tile or a swarm tile is matched during a turn, at the end of it (before the attack tiles or Medusa's CD tick), up to 3 swarm tiles create another one on an adjacent basic tile to them.

(ALL 3 POWERS PASSIVE PART) - When there are swarm tiles on each of the 6 colors or there are 12 swarm tiles on the board, all Wasp's powers become Call the Swarm.

Call the Swarm - Convert all the swarm tiles on the color with most present and half of the rest to strike tiles, destroying 3 tiles around them (destroyed tiles do damage but no AP). 
    (PASSIVE) - Revert powers back when there are fewer than 12 swarm tiles and there's a color without a swarm tile on it.
  • ammenell
    edited January 2019
    Options
    tiomono said:
    @ammenell

Why not just make a whole new character then? I was wanting discussion on a tweak to wasp. Not throwing her in a randomizer and hoping what comes out is decent.
    yeah, like reed..  
  • tiomono
    Options
    ammenell said:
    tiomono said:
    @ammenell

yeah, like reed..  
    So the way they balanced Reed annoyed you, and you want them to do that again? 
  • ammenell
    Options
    where did I write I'm annoyed? I think it was a waste of resources, but that's another topic. 

what I really meant - "balance" her, d3 style.
    no buff, no nerf, one tweaked power and two new ones, essentially a new character.
    with the consensus worst (or worst 3?) 5* chances are she ends up better than before
  • tiomono
    Options
    She is least used according to the info they shared with us. 

I like what she does and how she works in general. Its just that her limits on swarm tiles seem to limit her. So my suggestion to tweak was to remove some of the restrictions on the swarm.

4 tiles does not feel like a swarm. Look at infinity war spidey and his web production. If wasp as a character is focused on swarm tiles let her do that is all I'm saying.

I would hate to see another rework like reed. Something nobody thought was necessary because he had his niche use already and was really good at it. Wasp is not really good at anything other than a used up roster slot.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    First step, get rid of the countdown on the blue. Also the passive swarm match damage buff should happen all the time, not just when she has 4 tiles out. Make black true heal, and cheaper. Up the damage for call the swarm and make it AOE. Then add more passives for the swarm tiles. If they get matched or destroyed they do some damage. When there are 3 or more they steal a random enemy tile, or ap if there are no tiles. Maybe even change her blue to a passive that creates swarm tiles like 5* Spiderman does with webs.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly, if her blue was a repeater (possibly fortified) and her black was a true heal she’d be playable low tier instead of rock bottom.

(disclaimer: not a 5* player, so I may be missing something)