AI gem match choices

Mobyslick
Mobyslick Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
So... fighting in Training Grounds using my level 1 Vraska, Relic Seeker versus a level 7 Angrath. Opponent's turn. Angrath's mana bonus for blue at level 7 is 0, green is -3. There's at least 1 blue match on the board and some other colours. The AI chooses to match green for 0 mana instead of blue for 3?....

What's going on here? As Vraska, my best colours are green and black. Is the AI placing a higher value on an uncertain chance at denying me my colours? That shouldn't take precedence over getting his own cards cast. Or, is it the fact that I had an activated gem (Honored Hierarch) on one of those greens? Because I've never seen the AI target my activated gems over getting their own mana before. Can anyone tell me why this might have happened?
Tagged:

Comments

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Unless they've changed the way things are coded for the AI, it doesn't see its own mana bonuses. For example, Unraveler of Secrets Jace doesn't seem to know that he's got a +4 bonus at level 60 on black matches, and so will prioritize blue matches first then on denying you your colors second, so if you're playing Nissa, he'll match green gems even if black matches are in play. Additionally if the roles are reversed, I've seen the AI (lets use me as Jace and the AI as Nissa) match on white gems if not green or blue matches are available but black matches are.

Basically, the AI seems to only read what colors are the planeswalkers, rather than the actual mana bonuses.
  • Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    People say the Ai knows nothing and it's random.
    The ai knows what is gonna drop and will ignore 5s for 3s in some cases to cascade.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    People say the Ai knows nothing and it's random.
    The ai knows what is gonna drop and will ignore 5s for 3s in some cases to cascade.
    There is no proof of that (actually, its been proven pretty well the other way).

Usually the simplest explanation is the best one.  The AI is really stupid and just gets lucky sometimes (just like you and me)
  • Shaaw
    Shaaw Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    I would say it is this way by design. If the AI did the optimal matches every single time, it would make the game incredibly hard.