All Weirdly Targeting Cards And Abilities

starfall
starfall Posts: 1,727 Chairperson of the Boards
AI targeted his Ral, Izzet Viceroy's 2nd ability at his own creature (in this case, an Errata, the Silencer)

This is probably the same bug we get in every new set where the AI shoots it's own creatures with a variety of damage or removal spells and effects.

//Edited Title - Tombstone

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    .. Like beacon?
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    starfall said:
    .. Like beacon?
    Yes, like Beacon Bolt, also a bug.
    I don't think its a bug so much as bad coding.  AI has always torched its own creatures.  Every time it is "fixed" the next update wipes it out.  
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    Mburn7 said:
    starfall said:
    .. Like beacon?
    I don't think its a bug so much as bad coding.  AI has always torched its own creatures.  Every time it is "fixed" the next update wipes it out.  
    Yes but beacon bolt is a little deadily as your opponent can now suicide before you finish your objectives
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Mburn7 said:
    starfall said:
    .. Like beacon?
    What's the difference between a bug and bad code?
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    starfall said:
    .. Like beacon?
    What's the difference between a bug and bad code?
    How I see it is a bug is something happening that isn't supposed to, and bad code is something that is working correctly, but not the way it should.

If the AI is programmed to target the creature with the highest power (for example) with a kill spell and it kills its own creature with it, that isn't a bug.  Its just bad coding that you allowed that to be an option.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    There is even more funny thing with Ral - if there are no creatures on board ai target it's ultimate ... To himself . This was in tg (so ai is a bit nerfed) but it was hilarious. I wish I make popcorn earlier.
  • thesmallesthuman
    thesmallesthuman Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Yeah there seems to be zero differentiation in the coding for buff/burn/kill effects as far as what Greg will do with them. It’s incredibly common to watch him kill his own guys, he’s saved my neck plenty of times that way. I’ve watched H2 use her second ability on one of my creatures more than once, I’ve been kindly gifted all sorts of buffs.

Greg’s a hot hot mess but he’s also a real generous dude sometimes and I dig it.
  • only1wolz
    only1wolz Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Greg?

The reference is lost upon me. 

Anyone know when he'll be available again and what his cost is? I bought the Niv Mizzet package and the jumpstart pack and I'm using him now with broken Jace which is working just fine but really want to use Ral.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Greg is the name the community gave the AI for some reasons.

For rai.. I'd expect him not sooner than in four weeks.

By the way, @Mburn7 your explanation makes sense, but it appears to me just as two kinds of bugs.
    As far as I know, spells and abilities have some kind of a marker that's either positive or negative. They get mixed up a looot and the devs might never care to fix it.
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hi everyone, this issue is currently under investigation. I'll add it to the bug list for reference. 
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    @starfall Thanks! I'll pass this along as well. 
  • Larz70
    Larz70 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Must be Christmas.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Maybe we should make a thread to identify all weird targeting cards?