Crystal's name / illustration isnt make sense

Options
fiirst
fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion
this is in my mind for a while. (but not in my pocket lol because i am always short of it)
I think we should make some change to main currency in this game.
I also believe when people see the yellow bar with shiny light, they will call it gold not crystal.

i would be happy and it will be make sense if dev. change it in either ways as follow:
-change its name from crystal to gold.
OR
-change the color from yellow to blue/ white.

Comments

• ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My brother in law and I both call it gold in our own language (Dutch) since we started, ages ago 😆
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I'm playing since emn, I never called the resources differently than gold and pink stuff.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Your screen name is fiirst but I propose that we call it laast from now on.

• Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Not to mention, crystals and jewels are too similar to each other, to the point where it can sometimes be confusing which us which, since the jewels also look like crystals xD so easier to just call them purps instead ;)
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wait, they're called crystals? I don't love how the game has 3 currencies starting with "Mana" -- I call them Runes, Pinkies and Gold. It's less confusing for new players. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    Wait, they're called crystals? I don't love how the game has 3 currencies starting with "Mana" -- I call them Runes, Pinkies and Gold. It's less confusing for new players. 
    I think that would be hilarious if the devs made those the in-game names (I use a similar convention).

I think all games with in-game currency give them stupid names that everyone ignores, though.  Don't see it as a major issue (especially since the rewards and purchasing screens all have pictures anyway)
  • NinjaE
    NinjaE Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Is it really that big a deal?
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    NinjaE said:
    Not even. Players do love to make up their own names and that's the reason newer players get confused because players in several mtgpq communities  keep calling these with names of their own choosing. Me included. 

Although in my mind they have always been just crystals, jewels and runes, presenting no confusion.

• stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    Options
    NinjaE said:
    Not to veterans, but when veterans are trying to help newbies and say "hold on to your jewels, and spend your crystals when the new set arrives", newbies don't know the difference and can't tell from looking because jewels and crystals overlap significantly.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited October 2018
    Options
    (Disclaimer: This is 100% a mock-up that I personally came up with. This is not an announcement nor confirmation that this feature will be implemented)

Perhaps simply adding their names underneath the icons could help alleviate confusion, or do players think that this would clutter up the UI too much to be worth it?

(PS. I like playing around with Photoshop, if you can't tell :p )
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    (Disclaimer: This is 100% a mock-up that I personally came up with. This is not an announcement nor confirmation that this feature will be implemented)

Perhaps simply adding their names underneath the icons could help alleviate confusion, or do players think that this would clutter up the UI too much to be worth it?

I think on my iPhone8 it would be small and I wouldn't see it. 

However, I think just changing the name "crystals" to "gold" might make it much easier to understand. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2018
    Options

Brigby said:

I dont think its absolutely necessary but looks good.

I had to reopen the app to check the ratio.

You should change the font size for mana crystals and runes to match mana gems. The smaller sized numbers will help with visibility of the labels.

I think changing to gold is also an option but it would require you to find inconsistencies elsewhere in the app and fix these labels as well, which history tells me is not a favored move
  • NickBKK
    NickBKK Posts: 90 Match Maker
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I was just thinking about the same thing! It’s quite funny that these “things” are called differently for so long.  
    On a bright side, i notice a positive side effect from lack of game contents/activities. It gets creative juice flowing. People start talking about what we should name the jewels. When the next DD event rolls by, we will be sitting around trying to come up with a new name for each button in the game. :smiley:
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2018
    Options
    A friend and I call it (crystal) redacted

actually it's more him than me but I stick to his nomenclature when chatting with him

//Removed Inappropriate Content -Brigby
  • Mburn7
    Options
    NickBKK said:
    I was just thinking about the same thing! It’s quite funny that these “things” are called differently for so long.  
    On a bright side, i notice a positive side effect from lack of game contents/activities. It gets creative juice flowing. People start talking about what we should name the jewels. When the next DD event rolls by, we will be sitting around trying to come up with a new name for each button in the game. :smiley:
    Oh, you're new here.  Welcome!

@FindingHeart8 usually starts posting random creative threads when we get bored here (interactive story post, MTG universe story discussion...ect).  He hasn't been posting much lately, but I'm sure something will show up soon.  You'll find that frequently the community for the game is better than the game itself.  Its why this is really the only forum site I check regularly.
  • fiirst
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Brigby said:

@Brigby i appreciated your effort for those labels  :# and it will be perfect with Runes, Jewel & Gold  :D
  • ALEJANDROID
    ALEJANDROID Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Options
    Wait , was not pink jewels called unobtainium?
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Lol that was our nickname for it when it first came out.  Its much easier to obtain now, though, so the nickname has gone out of style
  • fiirst
    Options
    it seem we dont call it as unobtainuim since Dev. changed max progression score in Totp from 60 to 40 & launched Across Ixalan.
  • ShaarkBiite
    ShaarkBiite Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    While we're on the topic of things that don't look like things.... Black and white are really purple and yellow (FYI) 🤣