Strange Sights map, and others

JSP869
JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
Before Strange Sights runs again, can the map please be fixed so the nodes are not on top of each other? Please spread them out so we're not mistapping the wrong nodes. This is not the only map with this problem, and I don't understand why you'd make such a large map then only put nodes on one tiny part of it.
Thank you. 

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wish I could like this post more than once.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    I wish I could like this post more than once.
    We could just have a lot of people quote you to get it re-posted....
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah, I presume that what they're trying to suggest with the design is that the fights take place around the city and circle around to culminate in the skyscraper in the middle. But even if they wanted to maintain that concept there's no reason it couldn't be spread out more to the left and right. This event in particular is really, painfully congested (and I'm on a phone that's almost too big to fit in my pocket these days, too).
  • JSP869
    I agree completely, Richyyy. I totally get what they're trying to demonstrate with the map ("Look! You're fighting in the city! Isn't that cool!") but you also hit the nail square on the head. The map/background absolutely could be more zoomed in and the nodes could should be a lot farther apart.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Last night I simply couldn't get into the 5E node without clicking one of the four nodes crammed around it five times first. I think I need to invest in a stylus the size of a pin.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    I agree that the map is quite cramped and I clicked on other nodes while trying to click on 2* essential node a couple of times.

I can understand why the nodes are yet to be spaced out yet. Based on Eisenhower Decision Matrix, I guess that spacing out the nodes would fall under "not important and not urgent".

Spacing out the nodes might look easy, but I suppose that at the backend, it requires changing a lot of the codings related to touch areas and other functions. I doubt it's simply a case of dragging the nodes and moving it far apart from each other, and then the problem is solved.
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Having coded similar screens with graphics and sensitive areas (not games though and in a browser based application) I can say that moving a node should be straightforward. Either drag and drop the touch areas and graphics or change the coordinates in the code, depending on how the devs work. The problem comes with any elements that are part of the background graphic. The white line connecting the main sequence of nodes is certainly part of the background and some element of the nodes may also be there, even if it is only a black circle. To move the nodes would require the background to be redrawn and then the whole screen would have to be recoded to fit the new artwork.
    Having said the above, it is clear that the 5* essential node is entirely overlaid and moving that should be straightforward.
  • Jwallyr
    Jwallyr Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Frankly I don't think anybody would notice or care if the background were simply zoomed in (and therefore slightly lower resolution) if the result was that they didn't have to redraw the lines, but the nodes were further apart. No need to recommission some art, just zoom the picture in (losing a bit of the vast empty sky above, oh noes!!) and adjust the touch areas/node graphics. I might have to pan over to one side or the other to tap a few of the outermost nodes, but we have to do that on most events anyway.
  • JSP869
    Well, Strange Sights has come and gone...again...and again I see you still have not spaced its nodes a little further apart.

I don't care about new Supports, or new Costumes, or pets dressed up for Halloween, not when the Strange Sights' map, and others, have their nodes practically on top of one another.

Please fix this.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    JSP869 said:
    Well, Strange Sights has come and gone...again...and again I see you still have not spaced its nodes a little further apart.

I don't care about new Supports, or new Costumes, or pets dressed up for Halloween, not when the Strange Sights' map, and others, have their nodes practically on top of one another.

Please fix this.
    I'm sure it's fine on the one mobile device they seem to do all their playtesting on.
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Bowgentle said:
    I'm sure it's fine on the one mobile device they seem to do all their playtesting on.
    Probably an emulator on a pc with a large touchscreen display.
  • JSP869
    edited July 2019
    Well, here we are, doing Strange Sights again, and again I find myself opening up the wrong node because the nodes are STILL placed far too close together.
    I don't know much about programming but I refuse to believe this is a difficult fix.
    Given programmer-level access to the code, I expect this is little more than drag & dropping hitboxes & graphics on a map, a process that should take no more than a minute.
    And so I honestly cannot think of any good reason why this STILL has not been fixed.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    JSP869 said:
    Well, here we are, doing Strange Sights again, and again I find myself opening up the wrong node because the nodes are STILL placed far too close together.
    I don't know much about programming but I refuse to believe this is a difficult fix.
    Given programmer-level access to the code, I expect this is little more than drag & dropping hitboxes & graphics on a map, a process that should take no more than a minute.
    And so I honestly cannot think of any good reason why this STILL has not been fixed.
    Because "They find entertainment in our pain" is a good reason to them.
  • JSP869
    Having played this game for almost 6 years I'm well aware there's a lot of things that could be improved and that the "To Do List" may be a mile long. 

Some of those fixes may take a long time and may be a huge improvement.

Fixing the maps, node placement, & node "hit boxes" would probably not take very long (comparatively speaking), but would still be a terrific 'quality of life' improvement to the game.

I admit to being blissfully ignorant of the actual process, and yet I still cannot help but think that it would take a single developer less than a week to fix the maps & node placement. Strange Sights could (probably) be fixed in less than a day.

This would be a massive quality of life improvement.

Please, fix the maps.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find the nodes to be quite tightly packed too. As for why this hasn't been fixed yet, a good rule of thumb is to run the problem through two questions:

1) is it important?
    2) is it urgent?

I would answer "no" for both questions. I rather they take the time to design a way to let us choose characters for PvEs or PvPs more easily.