Taskmaster (Tony Masters) (10/1/18)

Comments

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Limited character? Pretty pointless. It would have made more sense to do a 3*/5* Cable and have his 3* version be limited, since the 3* tier doesn't have one, and make him only available in vaults.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Punter1 said:
    Am I reading Strange Sights wrong? 4 days?

Regular 3-day event.  The timing is from the start of S1 to the end of S5 so it looks like 4 days.  S5 starts at 2am on Friday the 5th, It ends at 2am on the Monday the 8th so 3 days.  The events date always look like that
    Thanks for the clarification. I never noticed that. I was just trying to figure out how best I can to show how it would be done as a 4 day event.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    I just do not understand why in year 5 of MPQ we need to have a limited character.  For what?!?  So we spend 1000-2000 HP for a roster slot for somebody that we will only use 1 time a year and be completely useless inbetween those anniversary events?  He had a great power set that we will NEVER be able to see his full capacity because we will never be able to get him enough covers to be effective.  By effective I mean needs to be 300+ to really see him work.  So while I will go
    hard for him, like in all events, this is just a massive disappointment that you would pull out a limited card for him but we have Gwenpool not as limited.  Yea...
    Plus being limited, he’ll never be boosted. When’s the last time you used Howard or Dino? It’s such a shame too, an actual innovative character design with a brand new mechanic and he’s barely even going to be used by the majority of players. What were they thinking?!
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2018
    Am I the only one underwhelmed? Taskmaster is a character with so much potential and this is just... disappointing. Conceptually it’s a cool idea but the selection of powers doesn’t excite me at all. While I’m sure there are some neat combo possibilities they’re pretty much all weak or slow powers. Twin Pistols? Really?! An adequate power for a 3* and absolutely pathetic for a 4*. A limited 4*. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Punter1 said:
    Am I reading Strange Sights wrong? 4 days?

Regular 3-day event.  The timing is from the start of S1 to the end of S5 so it looks like 4 days.  S5 starts at 2am on Friday the 5th, It ends at 2am on the Monday the 8th so 3 days.  The events date always look like that

Edit to add that Webbed Wonder seems to have the wrong start time, should be 7th at 7am I think @brigby

Ah of course...I forgot about different slice times. Because if the event runs Fri, Sat and finishes Sun in slice 3 I have a much better chance than if it runs until Monday night when I work =(
  • Trilateralus
    Seriously I just looked at his powers again and his Speed Shot is worse than Hawkeye’s. Why are his abilities worse copies of lower rank characters?!
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 969 Critical Contributor

Event Schedule

Strange Sights - Story Event

• Starts: 10/4/18, 7:00am EDT
    • Ends: 10/8/18, 2:00am EDT
    • Taskmaster (Tony Masters) in Placement Rewards

S.H.I.E.L.D. Training

• Starts: 10/4/18, 7:00am EDT
    • Ends: 10/11/18, 7:00am EDT
    • Rewards tokens to Strange Sights, random cover of Taskmaster (Tony Masters), and more!

Watch And Learn - Versus Tournament

• Starts: 10/7/18, 8am EST
    • Ends: 10/10/18, 2am EST
    • Taskmaster (Tony Masters)) as Progression Reward
    • Rewards tokens to the Taskmaster & Foes Vault

Webbed Wonder - Story Event

• Starts: 10/8/18, 7:00am EDT
    • Ends: 10/12/18, 2:00am EDT

Unless they missed a line on the Webbed Wonder details, getting a Taskmaster early seems pretty hopeless for those of us who thrive on PvE Progression...

Strange Sights is always my highest placing event, but I likely can't expect to compete on a new char release run of it.

• CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Seriously I just looked at his powers again and his Speed Shot is worse than Hawkeye’s. Why are his abilities worse copies of lower rank characters?!
    Balance reasons, maybe. You wouldn’t run 2-star Hawkeye with 4-star Carol, but you could run Taskmaster with her... enjoy buffed tiles every time you make a 5-match.
  • tfcrazy1980
    tfcrazy1980 Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Wow, was looking forward to taskmaster since he's a favorite character, but now i have no interest in taking 2yrs to build him up.....good thinking
  • shardwick
    Am I the only one underwhelmed? Taskmaster is a character with so much potential and this is just... disappointing. Conceptually it’s a cool idea but the selection of powers doesn’t excite me at all. While I’m sure there are some neat combo possibilities they’re pretty much all weak or slow powers. Twin Pistols? Really?! An adequate power for a 3* and absolutely pathetic for a 4*. A limited 4*. 
    I watched Demi's video briefly talking about him and thought "18 powers?! That's awesome!" Oh, you have to choose three and most of them I couldn't care less about. I'd rather have Hawkeye's Full Quiver than Speed Shot. Kraven's Wounded Pride. Valkyrie's Dragonfang Fury.
  • Trilateralus
    CNash said:
    Balance reasons, maybe. You wouldn’t run 2-star Hawkeye with 4-star Carol, but you could run Taskmaster with her... enjoy buffed tiles every time you make a 5-match.
    There’s nothing at all stopping me from running Hawkeye with Carol other than the fact there are better options. I would not count Taskmaster as one of those options. 
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    It's a very unique build curtailed by the fact he's a limited character. He may run more often than Howard the Duck on some rosters, but otherwise he'll collect dust with Devil Dino on a roster slot... Not worth it for my roster, just like Howard and Devil Dino, the only other 4-stars I've chosen not to roster. 
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder if this paves the way finally for Mimic, where you can choose any 3 powers from the opposition team, losing any powers of downed opponents.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    It's a very unique build curtailed by the fact he's a limited character. He may run more often than Howard the Duck on some rosters, but otherwise he'll collect dust with Devil Dino on a roster slot... Not worth it for my roster, just like Howard and Devil Dino, the only other 4-stars I've chosen not to roster. 
    really love taskMasters comics with Deadpool, was looking forward playing him.
    unfortunately i totally share your view, a limited char is just not worth the roster place.

and he is not even good, just... complicated. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I must admit, I was kind of hoping for Taskmaster (Agent X). Stabbity Stab Stab!
  • shardwick
    Given that he's a unique novelty character, I'm fine with him being Limited, especially if he's Limited in the same sense that Howard the Duck is (i.e. we have an opportunity to earn covers in an event once every couple of months.) But that said, why gate our ability to earn him even further in this small window of time by making Dazzler one of the required 4* characters in S.H.I.E.L.D. Training? She's still brand-new (she's not even in packs yet!), and very, very few people will have her at 13 covers, let alone at lvl. 209. If you're going that route why not just make Devil Dino one of the required characters? Veterans should have enough covers by now, and new players will have the opportunity to earn them in the Anniversary events.

Is this something that can be adjusted @Brigby?

EDIT: Now I'm confused. This post calls out Hulkbuster, Moon Knight, and Dazzler, but the Anniversary thread mentions Peggy Carter, Emma Frost, and Wasp (Janet Van Dyne). Which is it? I'd argue that Emma Frost is also still very new, but at least she's already in packs.
    It better be a mistake because if Dazzler is one of the essentials then I'm gonna be so freaking pissed. It's bad enough that I can't even get her black cover from Shield Sim, I was already counting it as my eighth cover for her, and instead I get a cover for a character, sorry, LIMITED character that I don't care about, and that I need to use one of the absolute worst 4* characters in the game, Emma, in a highly competitive Strange Sights to get said LIMITED character of whom I have absolutely no idea when I will ever see more opportunities of getting more covers for.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just get 1 cover of each power and champ him using 1200 CP. There's always an alternative.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does Taskmaster remember your ability selection when part of a defensive team?  And if I'm up against an enemy team including taskmaster, can I easily tell what abilities he'll have before the match?