MPQ Sneak Peek: September 2018 Edition *Updated (9/25/18)

1234568»

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:

Some tough PVP’s coming up, glad I have all 3 of the 4* champed, I learned the hard way from the Valkyrie PVP what happens otherwise.

The Medusa one is the only one I'm apprehensive about. Just because her healing can make matches drag on for ages. Carol and America are both offense-oriented, so those matches at least go quickly, one way or the other.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:

Some tough PVP’s coming up, glad I have all 3 of the 4* champed, I learned the hard way from the Valkyrie PVP what happens otherwise.

Agreed. These are my favorite characters to use, but at the same time my least favorite people to fight in PVP. I see enough of Medusa and C4rol in literally every PVP that has been run since they were released that I see them in my sleep sometimes. "Lucking" into your strongest color against C4rol while she somehow manages to dodge the color herself, Medusa consistently getting lucky placement of her entanglement tile, or keeping someone alive long enough to really hurt you........America is certainly no fun either when you're on the wrong side of a ME Hulk cascade. 

I get that these characters are "fan favorites", but seems like it'll be a rough stretch for the younger rosters. I recall them saying that was main one of the main reasons that they backed off of 4-star PVP. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the MMR would be much easier in this case, compared to champed 3* as essential. I remember all the 4* characters PvP which I have less than three covers being  a cakewalk, compared to champed 3* PvP.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *(9/25/18) Brigby - Updated Weekly Buffs.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    All in on Carol...  Giving her some serious supporting staff with that boosted list!  Wow!
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    So, that does mean that the America pvp will most likely give a yellow America cover, right?
    I just need someone to reassure me that I'm not misreading things, because my 5/2/5 America is desperate for a yellow and the HfH bundle is mocking me.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    AlexR said:
    So, that does mean that the America pvp will most likely give a yellow America cover, right?
    I just need someone to reassure me that I'm not misreading things, because my 5/2/5 America is desperate for a yellow and the HfH bundle is mocking me.

That's correct. The progression cover for her event should be her yellow unless they throw a curve ball and change it to a different character. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    They have never, to my knowledge, changed the progression character cover pattern in PvP.  That America cover should be yours.
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    bluewolf said:
    They have never, to my knowledge, changed the progression character cover pattern in PvP.  That America cover should be yours.
    Yesssssss. Thank you both!
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:

Agreed. These are my favorite characters to use, but at the same time my least favorite people to fight in PVP. I see enough of Medusa and C4rol in literally every PVP that has been run since they were released that I see them in my sleep sometimes. "Lucking" into your strongest color against C4rol while she somehow manages to dodge the color herself, Medusa consistently getting lucky placement of her entanglement tile, or keeping someone alive long enough to really hurt you........America is certainly no fun either when you're on the wrong side of a ME Hulk cascade. 

I get that these characters are "fan favorites", but seems like it'll be a rough stretch for the younger rosters. I recall them saying that was main one of the main reasons that they backed off of 4-star PVP. 
    Chavez is like poking a beehive, she might not sting straight away but given time when she finally stirs into life it can be an unstoppable onslaught.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the MMR would be much easier in this case, compared to champed 3* as essential. I remember all the 4* characters PvP which I have less than three covers being  a cakewalk, compared to champed 3* PvP.
    My MMR is still typically going to match me up with champed 4s and the difference between a boosted champed 4 and boosted non champed 4 can be pretty decisive.

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agreed. These are my favorite characters to use, but at the same time my least favorite people to fight in PVP. I see enough of Medusa and C4rol in literally every PVP that has been run since they were released that I see them in my sleep sometimes. "Lucking" into your strongest color against C4rol while she somehow manages to dodge the color herself...
    So, I know there's an order of operation that comes into play when it's AI's turn (eg, match 5+4 above all other matches), but isn't the AI supposed to prioritize their strongest color?  I've had several matches where I just leave black open for enemy Carol to match (against my own Carol), and the AI avoids it like the plague.  Same thing with visible countdowns that damage the enemy.  

tl;dr, does the AI actively avoid moves that will harm the enemy team?
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Agreed. These are my favorite characters to use, but at the same time my least favorite people to fight in PVP. I see enough of Medusa and C4rol in literally every PVP that has been run since they were released that I see them in my sleep sometimes. "Lucking" into your strongest color against C4rol while she somehow manages to dodge the color herself...
    So, I know there's an order of operation that comes into play when it's AI's turn (eg, match 5+4 above all other matches), but isn't the AI supposed to prioritize their strongest color?  I've had several matches where I just leave black open for enemy Carol to match (against my own Carol), and the AI avoids it like the plague.  Same thing with visible countdowns that damage the enemy.  

Based on my experience, aside from always hitting an available match-4, the CPU seems to throw darts to choose its move. I have done the same thing and had the same results. It's not awful, but it seems bizarrely random at times.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018

No. The AI prioritizes match-4s, and matches in colors for which it has powers, in that order. Within those categories, it picks a random match. And that's it. If you leave a black match-4, the AI will almost certainly take it in preference to anything else, unless there's also a match-4 on the board that's in another of it's "strong" colors. 

https://www.demiurgestudios.com/engineering/a-worthy-opponent/

It's an interesting read.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards

When they described the AI's rules, it was that they would prioritise matches that charged an ability (even if that ability was passive) over ones that don't, and match-4/5s over simple match-3s.  The tie breaker was a random choice between matches.

So you should see the enemy targeting their strong colours, but not necessarily their strongest.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    KK and Medusa pvp have their own store and tokens.. shouldnt that have been for Women of Marvel store thats there for whole week after that pvp ended?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Here is the October Sneak Peek