PSA: Updating Forum Design On Mobile *Updated (9/18/18)

2»

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Update 2: The new forum design should now be correctly displayed on mobile devices!
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Brigby said:
    Update 2: The new forum design should now be correctly displayed on mobile devices!
    Yes, now works and browsing is better than the original.

Thank you.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    The new mobile layout hides notifications and private messages. Kinda defeats the purpose of notifications if I don't notice them until I go digging for them.
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    The new design might look more aesthetic but for me atleast is more straining to read and use.

With the grey border around everything it makes the actual space for text very narrow, making everything very drawn out and chopped up. 
    I can write 30-35 characters on one row now  (as opposed to the former 45-50). It's like reading/writing a novel on a milk carton instead of a regular A4 size paper.

The first page of the General discussion is so long with bigger text on topic names and narrower window it takes up four screen pages as to 1.5 before. Getting a quick look at all topics is not possible without scrolling alot more.

And without the notification bar showing replies in your active discussions it's become a chore to track new messages.

The formatting of the new forum doesn't allow autozoom to fit text to screen either.

Conclusion of my rant is that the new design isn't very user friendly in my case. But it seems everyone else is satisfied.
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Don't worry, you're not alone in thinking the new design has too much dead space. It also annoys me, though for somewhat different reasons, mostly because I use my phone in landscape orientation and it sounds like you go for vertical. Anyway, the biggest annoyance for me is the loss of efficiency in topic display with only minor gains in content displayed. Also, it seems more processor heavy despite mostly being layout changes.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    The context menu of the edit button top right of a thread now is black on black. Not really optimal
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    I have to log in every time I visit the new mobile site and acknowledge the over 18 rule warning again. 
  • DBJones
    I have to log in every time I visit the new mobile site and acknowledge the over 18 rule warning again. 
    That's odd, do you have something that deletes cookies? Maybe they changed the cookies somehow and your whitelist no longer applies to them. It's almost certainly something to do with your cookies anyway.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    DBJones said:
    That's odd, do you have something that deletes cookies? Maybe they changed the cookies somehow and your whitelist no longer applies to them. It's almost certainly something to do with your cookies anyway.
    It’s definitely odd. I’m not doing anything differently with cookies that I did with the old forum set up. I’m pretty much out of box on my cookie settings. 
  • DBJones
    So, I tried using the search, and the suggestions look rather strange:
    Flipping my phone to vertical didn't change it, and it messed up the zoom (wider than usual) until I exited the search box and tried to zoom in.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @DBJones Oh! That definitely doesn't look good. I'll be sure to pass that along to the web team to take a look at. Thanks!
  • DBJones
    Adding on to what span_argoman said, not only do you have to click the menu button to even see if you have notifications, the only way to actually see what you've been notified about is to go to your profile, scroll all the way down (with no real indication that anything is down there), and click the notifications link there.
    Or switch to desktop view, but that rather defeats the purpose of having a mobile version.