PSA: Updating Forum Design On Mobile *Updated (9/18/18)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited September 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Update 2: The new forum design should now be correctly displayed on mobile devices!
========
Update: 
Hi Everyone. We're aware of some of the size and color issues being displayed on mobile. We've already reached out to the web developers to inform them of this occurrence, and hopefully it will be fixed soon. 

In the meantime, we recommend that players view the forum in the Desktop mode of their browser. Thanks for being patient!
========
Hi Everyone,

As some of you may be aware, when we first launched the design of our new forum, we were a bit restricted as to how much of it could be translated over to the mobile platform. Well not anymore!

Starting at 13:00 PT/16:00 ET/20:00 UTC, we will be beginning the process of updating the mobile version of the forum to match the functionality and design that the desktop website has! We do not expect there to be any downtime, but just in case, we wanted to inform everyone about this change several hours ahead of time.

Please let us know if you have any comments or questions about the new mobile design, especially after it goes live. Cheers!

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That's good news! Will this fix the quoting issues on mobile as well?
  • Brigby
    Options
    That is unfortunately an issue with the text editor in general, as it occurs on both our desktop and mobile sites. I mentioned it in our recent meeting with the web team though, and they're currently looking into it.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Options
    Brigby said:
    That is unfortunately an issue with the text editor in general, as it occurs on both our desktop and mobile sites. I mentioned it in our recent meeting with the web team though, and they're currently looking into it.
    Allowing the mobile version to use the "</>" (HTML view?)  button would be at least a workaround (this would be a function of the desktop version, so it might be even planned?)
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There's a couple things I've been switching to desktop view on my phone to do, hopefully I won't have to anymore!

I've gotten quoting to behave better on my phone by switching between landscape and vertical orientation, for some reason that makes it much easier to click outside the quote box for me.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I hope what I see is not the finished thing, because it's a disaster.. (the big, wide-screen banners & the D3 logo might be the reason why it looks very weird and make it hard to have an overview) :/
    (android, Sony xperia x compact (so a small screen) Firefox)

BTW- I like the new color theme. Now it's way more easy to spot new threads
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah, the new design is not browsable for me. Switching to desktop mode works but not optimal.

The new pages use the space horribly and has gigantic borders with the discussions crammed in the middle.

Xperia XZ Compact2, Android - Chrome
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Woah I don't like the change at all. Huge D3 logo up top covering text. No pictures next to the posts on threads. Dark theme isn't bad but I'd like to be able to switch. Comment box is small. The whole thread is too narrow. I hope they're working on it and this isn't the new norm.

Edit* Much better now. Thank you!
  • Laeuftbeidir
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Rhasget said:
    Yeah, the new design is not browsable for me. Switching to desktop mode works but not optimal.

The new pages use the space horribly and has gigantic borders with the discussions crammed in the middle.

Xperia XZ Compact2, Android - Chrome
    Nice idea, but when I try it, the bottom banner overlaps the last comment, including the "post comment" button&the textbox
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Holy cats, new mobile version is almost impossible to navigate on an iPhone. Had to switch to desktop version just to navigate to the forum itself. 

This may not have been the best use of your time. 
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Horrible is not the word it is unusable.

I thought it was my fault until I remembered the post advising the change in UI mobile version. 
  • Brigby
    Options
    Hi Everyone. We're aware of some of the size issues being displayed on mobile. I've already reached out to the web developers to inform them of this occurrence, and hopefully it will be fixed soon. Thanks for being patient!
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. We're aware of some of the size issues being displayed on mobile. I've already reached out to the web developers to inform them of this occurrence, and hopefully it will be fixed soon. Thanks for being patient!
    Any word on when D3GO plans on hiring a QA team? These sorts of things are entirely avoidable and contribute to the message that the company just doesn’t actually care about the quality of products they release. 

This carelessness is pervasive and seems to have become part of the company culture. Is that the image you were hoping for?
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I second what @Sarahschmara is saying.  At my company nothing leaves the building until QC is satisfied that it is 100% correct.  I don't understand how bugs this major are consistently being released.

What kind of testing do you guys do if you keep missing simple mistakes?
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Any word on when D3GO plans on hiring a QA team? These sorts of things are entirely avoidable and contribute to the message that the company just doesn’t actually care about the quality of products they release. 

This carelessness is pervasive and seems to have become part of the company culture. Is that the image you were hoping for?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but D3 doesn't actually have anything to do with forum design? I'm all for finger pointing but I'd like to make sure I'm pointing it at the right people .
  • ShaarkBiite
    ShaarkBiite Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but D3 doesn't actually have anything to do with forum design? I'm all for finger pointing but I'd like to make sure I'm pointing it at the right people .
    If no one at d3go checked to see what the forum looked like on mobile before they went live (how could they, @rafalele is right; it is unusable), there is no nice way to remark on the ineptitude. Someone somewhere ok'ed this. Someone at d3go has to know that most of us play on our phones, so why they might think we would forum on our desktops is absurd. 
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Options
    Brigby said:

Well, they don't program the game(s) either, but since they are the company in charge, it's in their responsiveness to ensure the quality of anything released by their partners.

Good to know you're aware, I hope for a quick fix.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Brigby said:
    If no one at d3go checked to see what the forum looked like on mobile before they went live (how could they, @rafalele is right; it is unusable), there is no nice way to remark on the ineptitude. Someone somewhere ok'ed this. Someone at d3go has to know that most of us play on our phones, so why they might think we would forum on our desktops is absurd. 
    wait...you don't?

*slowly backs away from desktop*
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    wait...you don't?

*slowly backs away from desktop*
    Wait, are people on the forums while at work or something?

Because I would never do that.  Or at least I wouldn't admit it if I was.  Or maybe I would, just kind of indirectly.
  • Brigby
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Hi Everyone. We certainly made sure to review and test the functionality of the forum on mobile, prior to beginning this procedure, however it's the unfortunate case that hiccups sometimes happen during implementation.

As mentioned earlier, we have notified the web team we work with of these display issues, and they are currently trying to figure out what happened, so it can be corrected. We apologize for the inconvenience. In the meantime, we recommend viewing the forum in Desktop mode in your mobile device's browser. Thank you for your patience! 
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Options
    Now it's working.. Better. At least it's possible to navigate, only few things seem to have a suboptimal size (like the buttons below the quite tiny textbox).
    and the nice white on black color theme is gone!