Bring Back Multicharacter PvP

2»

Comments

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here's a novel idea (I think) All PVPs have 3 nodes and each node has a required character from a different tier, so a required 3*, 4* and 5*.  You simply pick which node you want to play and use that required character, which is boosted well.  You're not locked into a node, you can switch as desired, but you'll have 1 score or number of wins. 

This way, everybody can play and gets what they want!  If your best champ is a 3*, then play the 3* node.  If your best is an 11 cover 4*, then play that node.  If you want to try out your half-covered 5*, then play that node.  MMR will still work the same.  Of course, you rotate the characters every PVP and since the devs like to have themes, then pick 3 characters for a theme. 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:

This way, everybody can play and gets what they want!  If your best champ is a 3*, then play the 3* node.  If your best is an 11 cover 4*, then play that node.  If you want to try out your half-covered 5*, then play that node.  MMR will still work the same.  Of course, you rotate the characters every PVP and since the devs like to have themes, then pick 3 characters for a theme. 

MMR will still work the same and thats sorta the meat of the problem.

In an event structure where the feature can be a 3*/4*/5*,  the lb placements will tilt HEAVILY towards players who can run the 5* feature.

This is already the case in the patch, and the deadpool events where you decide between a 3*/4* variant.

5* rosters will love this, because it basically guarantees placement and top progression.  but people who have the play the 3*/4* feature won't be able to compete points wise, nor in the matchups.

don't forget, just because you ran 3* wolverine,  5* OML teams will still be able to que and hit those 3*/4* teams.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've long wanted to see multi-tiered PvP events which restrict rosters.

For example: a Captain America event. Before you play you have to select which tier you want to play that event (3-star, 4-star, 5-star). If you choose the 3-star tier, 2-star or 3-star Captain America is the required character and the rest of your team must be made up of 3-star or lower characters. If you choose the 4-star tier you can use either 2/3-star cap or Peggy/Flaptain in the middle; the rest of your team must be 4-stars or lower. Thus, the 5-star tier would allow you to use any Captain America you want in the middle (2-star, 3-star, both 5-stars, Peggy, Flaptain) and the entirety of your roster is open. You can only play one tier per event and once you choose you're locked-in.

There are several characters this would work for including Black Widow, Black Panther, Captain America, Hawkeye, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, and Wolverine. But it wouldn't have to be restricted to one character; you could do a 'Guardians of the Galaxy' event, or a 'Villains' event where that center required character opens up and fits an affiliation or theme.

The benefit to doing this would be PvP becoming more accessible to more players. 3-star players wouldn't have to gaze longingly at the top placers and their champed 5-stars, wondering if PvP will ever become viable for them. Also, 5-star players could decide to join the 3-star tier of an event and play around with some old friends. Obviously the rewards wouldn't be as robust, but it might be a lot more enjoyable.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    You might have to reduce the number of slices if you were going to do that. A threefold fracturing of the brackets might mean even fiercer competition for higher ranking and, potentially, more rewards being given out overall which seems to be something that demi want to avoid. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    There must be a way to separate the PVP lightweights from the heavyweights.  There must be a way for it to be fair to everyone.  I don't think the current system is bad, but I hear people complaining about having a 3* required PVP.  The variable points per match is good and the MMR already separates players to some degree, but if the PVP mechanic allows heavweights to fight lightweights, then it will happen.  The point is that heavyweights will find any advantage they can take in the game, no matter if they trample the little guys. 

Obviously, I like the idea of 3-tiered PVP events and I think the devs should give it another shot.  Restricting your roster for a particular node could easily result in heavyweights playing the 3* node with max champed 3*s.  The same goes for the 4* node.  Separating the 3 nodes into 3 pools of players wouldn't work either.  Matching up similar rosters is the best way to make it fair, which is what the MMR already tries to do, but this brings up another issue.....

Isn't the point of building up your roster to make the game easier to play?  Shouldn't the veterans be rewarded?  You've worked hard for years to get to that level, should the game be easy for you now?  Or is that boring?  If not, then what's the point of building up your roster in the first place?  Just trying out new character powers, but the game is still equally as hard?  I'm not sure of the answers to these questions.