M19 Premium Pack diminishing returns

Options

Comments

• Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    I know at least 2 people who have opened 20-ish M19 PP without a single mythic. 
    That's why a pity timer on mythics (guaranteed mythic after N packs without any) would be such a good thing for the game.  The bottom of the bell curve is more than just a theoretical outcome any given player could get if really unlucky; with a large population, it also dictates the existence a small group of real people who we expect to get no rewards from large investment.  This is entirely predictable in advance, except for who those people are going to be.
  • Furks
    Furks Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm wondering how these graphs would look if mythics/mp were guaranteed to not be dupes until you have all of them
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Furks said:
    I'm wondering how these graphs would look if mythics/mp were guaranteed to not be dupes until you have all of them
    I don't think this would be healthy for the game. I've pulled a lot of dupe mythics and a dupe of my one MP in M19 and I'm ok with that. RNGesus has his ways. 

I'm not ok with pulling dupes of cards I buy, and I think when you pay cash for a card, you should be refunded with a random unique mythic if you agree to let them take your orbs and runes. My 4 extra Olivias, 3 Giselas, 2 Becketts and 2 Tendershoots agree. 
  • gogol666
    gogol666 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    Furks said:
    I don't think this would be healthy for the game. I've pulled a lot of dupe mythics and a dupe of my one MP in M19 and I'm ok with that. RNGesus has his ways. 

I'm not ok with pulling dupes of cards I buy, and I think when you pay cash for a card, you should be refunded with a random unique mythic if you agree to let them take your orbs and runes. My 4 extra Olivias, 3 Giselas, 2 Becketts and 2 Tendershoots agree. 
    Hey @b@bken1234, whose side are you playing with? ;-)
    Seriously, non dupe pulls is just too much to ask, because it would completely remove the need to buy exclusive cards (or anything apart from golds)
    However, we should have a pity timer and, that could give something non dupe. Otherwise, after all the waiting, receiving a dupe will feel like a joke
  • bk1234
    edited August 2018
    Options
    gogol666 said:
    bken1234 said:
    Furks said:

Hey @b@bken1234, whose side are you playing with? ;-)
    Seriously, non dupe pulls is just too much to ask, because it would completely remove the need to buy exclusive cards (or anything apart from golds)
    However, we should have a pity timer and, that could give something non dupe. Otherwise, after all the waiting, receiving a dupe will feel like a joke
    Like everyone else here, I'm entitled to my opinions. 

We asked for the opportunity to obtain non dupe mythics -- we got crafting. 

Then we asked again -- they made Elite packs non-dupe. 

For the record, I think there should be a pity timer, however guaranteeing that we never have dupe cards and eliminating exclusive offers are, in my opinion, awful ideas.

Where does it stop? When will we be happy?

What happens to engagement when everyone has all the cards?

I have 16 M19 mythics and one MP -- and I've pulled 9 dupes, including one of the only MP I have. Sure, it sucks a bit to see that orb shake and get something I already have, but that was a lot of crafting orbs I used to craft some things I really, really wanted. It's the nature of RNG, there is a system in place to get what we want when RNG doesn't pan out. 

There is always going to be a need to have purchases in the game. D3Go! and Oktagon are not nonprofit organizations -- they depend on special offers to pay the bills and keep the game running. However, the special offers are expensive and the game doesn't really offer microtransactions, thus making those offers more appealing by guaranteeing you'll never pull that card again is a rational next step. 
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It should be stated that Orb currency is functionally a pity timer of sorts.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    James13 said:
    And they created the crafting system because they took pity on us. ;)
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DumasAG said:
    Thésée said:
    Oh, so 3 mythics in 20 pp wasn't bad? This is honestly disgusting.

I am at 19 premium packs in a row without mythics. 12 DOM and 7 M19.

Last Mythic I got in a premium pack was on DOM release day the 23rd of May. 3 months ago.............

:-(

holy cow...
    It's minotaur and I've pulled 4 mythics from at least 16 M19 PPs.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    James13 said:
    Orbs are functionally similar to an anti-dupe pity timer - i.e. after n dupes get a guaranteed non-dupe.  (As an aside, they make an enormous difference to the rate at which we can collect cards, a difference I don't usually find reflected in player sentiment.  That tells me the psychology of crafting has been less successful than its actual functionality.)

But one thing orbs don't do is address the issue of some players getting an extremely low absolute number of mythics (dupes or not).

• span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Volrak said:
    James13 said:
    Orbs are functionally similar to an anti-dupe pity timer - i.e. after n dupes get a guaranteed non-dupe.  (As an aside, they make an enormous difference to the rate at which we can collect cards, a difference I don't usually find reflected in player sentiment.  That tells me the psychology of crafting has been less successful than its actual functionality.)

But one thing orbs don't do is address the issue of some players getting an extremely low absolute number of mythics (dupes or not).

I think it's a very good point that Orbs already cover the anti-dupe side for drops. So if the remaining issue as you mention is of some players getting an extremely low drop count of Mythics, then just implementing a pity timer on packs opened should help address that issue directly.
  • Thésée
    Thésée Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Volrak said:
    James13 said:

I think it's a very good point that Orbs already cover the anti-dupe side for drops. So if the remaining issue as you mention is of some players getting an extremely low drop count of Mythics, then just implementing a pity timer on packs opened should help address that issue directly.

I agree with this. Orbs act like a pity timer and in the end I get to craft a mythic every 6-7 premium packs opened during the 50% orbs bonus (my last two pp gave me 750 and 765 orbs) or 9-10 of them without bonus. But this was designed to adress the dupes issue.

With mana orbs, pinkies and non dupe Elite Pack we never got so many cards and rewards, nothing to complain about it seems to me. A pity timer would simply be a bit of comfort in some disheartening moments

• Thésée
    Thésée Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    Options
    ZW2007- said:
    DumasAG said:
    Thésée said:
    Oh, so 3 mythics in 20 pp wasn't bad? This is honestly disgusting.

I am at 19 premium packs in a row without mythics. 12 DOM and 7 M19.

Last Mythic I got in a premium pack was on DOM release day the 23rd of May. 3 months ago.............

:-(

holy cow...
    It's minotaur and I've pulled 4 mythics from at least 16 M19 PPs.
    Oh lol !!:-)
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I totally understand the RNG thing.. And the point of booster crafting and none dupe élite packs. But being at the bottom end of RNG feels just bad and will always do, no matter what else is implemented.

I got 5 mythics and 1 mp. 2 mythics and the mp from elite packs, one mythic was guaranteed - from all pps that adds up to 2 mythics. That's bad, but not even bottom end.. The only thing worse are the cards that I got! Last two :cleansing nova,the worst board wipe so far, and Fraying Omnipotence. I don't even have an idea what to do with that.
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I totally understand the RNG thing.. And the point of booster crafting and none dupe élite packs. But being at the bottom end of RNG feels just bad and will always do, no matter what else is implemented.

I got 5 mythics and 1 mp. 2 mythics and the mp from elite packs, one mythic was guaranteed - from all pps that adds up to 2 mythics. That's bad, but not even bottom end.. The only thing worse are the cards that I got! Last two :cleansing nova,the worst board wipe so far, and Fraying Omnipotence. I don't even have an idea what to do with that.
    And you do not know that Fraying omnipotence is bugged and it cannot be casted if both players have unless one creature.

I have 8 M19 mythics (Nova of course and Dragon's hoard), except for Banefire and Apex of Power that are useful, Nova, Fraying omnipotence, Millstone and Patient rebuilding are ver poor mythics (unless I am missing something). The other one is Transmogrifying Wand that is only good for kill x opponent creatures objective.

I have them from 8 pps, 5 elite packs and Dragon's hoard from the event.
  • bk1234
    edited August 2018
    Options
    rafalele said:

And you do not know that Fraying omnipotence is bugged and it cannot be casted if both players have unless one creature.

I have 8 M19 mythics (Nova of course and Dragon's hoard), except for Banefire and Apex of Power that are useful, Nova, Fraying omnipotence, Millstone and Patient rebuilding are ver poor mythics (unless I am missing something). The other one is Transmogrifying Wand that is only good for kill x opponent creatures objective.

I have them from 8 pps, 5 elite packs and Dragon's hoard from the event.
    Tranfsmorgrifying Wand is in all of my decks except the ones I use Isolate in. It’s hexproof removal and is good everywhere. 

Millstone is is a good; not great mythic. I use it with objectives where I have to cast a bunch of supports because it’s cheap and moderately useful. 
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yet, even if we accept the idea that orbs and crafting can act as a sort of pity timer, as @Volrak has pointed out, this system shows no pity for those unlucky enough to land at the bad end of the RNG Bell curve who simply don’t receive these high-end cards, dupes or otherwise. 
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The Orbs as a pity timer is a very long timer.
    I have had bad luck with my M19 pulls, getting two mythics from my 13PPs (and only 11 rares!) and 1 from EP.
     Since I have all cards from XLN and RIX I want to craft DOM or M19. But DOM has an increased cost and M19 isn't available for atleast a month. 
    So I either have to collect more Orbs than for the other sets or wait since I can't even craft the set I didn't get much from in the first place.

Booster crafting is great in general since it opens up the possibilites to target cards or make it easier for collectors. But as a pity timer it is so-so.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Rhasget said:
    I have had bad luck with my M19 pulls, getting two mythics from my 13PPs (and only 11 rares!) and 1 from EP.
     Since I have all cards from XLN and RIX I want to craft DOM or M19. But DOM has an increased cost and M19 isn't available for atleast a month. 
    So I either have to collect more Orbs than for the other sets or wait since I can't even craft the set I didn't get much from in the first place.

Booster crafting is great in general since it opens up the possibilites to target cards or make it easier for collectors. But as a pity timer it is so-so.
    I would like to point you to Volrak's post mentioning that booster crafting functions as a pity timer for dupes (and makes an "enormous difference" as he puts it) which it does very well.

However, a pity timer in terms of a Mythic every X number of packs/PPs would work to eliminate the long tail of people who just don't open any Mythics as is your case.
  • bk1234
    Options
    Rhasget said:

I would like to point you to Volrak's post mentioning that booster crafting functions as a pity timer for dupes (and makes an "enormous difference" as he puts it) which it does very well.

However, a pity timer in terms of a Mythic every X number of packs/PPs would work to eliminate the long tail of people who just don't open any Mythics as is your case.
    So on the topic of pity timer -- should it give a Mythic, or should it give 400 orbs?

Seeing some go 3 months without a single mythic and opening more packs than the average player would, it would be really disheartening if the pity timer came up and they got a dupe mythic.

Maybe this is a happy medium between people who think we should never get dupes and those who think we already get too much free stuff. 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow...I'm glad I waited to jump into the PP purchases.

Got 1 PP when it was just released (no lose situation here because I don't have a single card from the set yet), got super lucky and got 3 rares and a mythic.  They were all cruddy cards except for Sword of Valheron.

Got another PP a few weeks later and got no rares except for the guaranteed, which was useless.

I think I'll sit this set out and just start saving for the next set.  I don't need the cards from this set, and it'll all be legacy eventually anyways.