Some Improvement Suggestions for Hybrid PvP

Options
broll
broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
So we're now what 1.5 months in I thought I'd update on how it's going and where there could be improvements.  This started as an update to this thread: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/73548/share-your-experience-of-the-new-hybrid-pvp-here/p1, but thought it might count as a necro and I started veering off into suggestions the more I typed.

Still 100% Wins based and loving it.
I champed Bag-Man and have 2 covers on the first dup.
I've hit max progression via wins on every event but 3:
- Both Simulators (ended up hitting 2000 practically effortlessly around 40 wins)
- Star-Lord's PvP.  (This was like a combination of joining the last slice, starting really late.  Many more 412 features in that one, possible due to timing issue, and poor performance on my part.  Stopped at 40).

NOTE:  All feedback is based on my 5* roster, though I try and take smaller rosters into accounts.

Things working great that shouldn't be touched:
- The hybrid aspect in general.
- The wins count up to 40 (after that I feel the rewards are a little unbalanced).

What could use improvements:
  • The Season progression should have a wins score.  For season 1 I hit 75 wins every single event, yet only got 1/2-2/3rd through the reward.  Hitting max progression with points every event gives you all progression rewards before the season even ends.  This is unbalanced and season should have a win score that someone who get max wins for at least 8 or the event should hit max (would take requiring to hit them all though).
  • 4* PvP is significantly harder to get 75 wins then 3* PvP.  I feel each even there should be a 4* and 3* PvP and people choose one or the other and get locked in.  4* PvP should provide significantly better rewards encouraging people to go up vs down.  (At the very least 4* PvP when played should have either higher rewards).
  • Event wins are little too high.  75 is doable and I've been doing it but it's a bit of slog, especially if you don't start early and club seals.  All rewards up to 40 wins seem equal to effort IMO.  I think if max was 50 wins it would feel much better.  
  • Hybrid w/points vs hybrid w/wins.  I doubt it would happen at this point, but using static points (points that don't go down on losses/attacks) would be superior to wins because it would allow for better scaling of roster levels.  A win for a 5* team is not equal to a win with a 2* team.

This is not meant to be critical, I'm super thankful for Wins Based PvP.  I'm a strong believer in continual process improvement and the idea that nothing is perfect.  These are simply ideas for the next improvement of this already good feature.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Great thoughtful thread, @broll , I agree with most of this wholeheartedly. I love wins-based PvP, even though I'm not making use of it very much (more on that later).

My background: I have the 4* tier 75% champed (and more due soon, thanks to cover saving). I have at least one of each 5* cover but no champs, and I haven't put iso into any 5*s except CWCap and CWIron Man . FWIW I play SCL7 because rewards just don't  increase commensurately with the extra difficulty in 8 or 9.

I only play to the 4* reward in regular PvP, but I go all the way in Simulator. So far I've surprised myself by doing most of these through points. When I do get to the 4* via 40 wins, I will grind another 10 wins for the riso reward. I would probably push to 60 if there were a reward there, but I don't have the slack in my game / life balance to hit 75.

I don't have a strong opinion on seasons having a win score, because my goal is the Heroic 10-pack at 4k, which I didn't have any trouble reaching. Last season I got the 300 riso at 6250 without really trying, but if I stopped climbing at 4k I'd be plenty happy. That being said, I see the argument for rewarding the effort of climbing that far.

I didn't feel 4* PvP was harder than 3* to get the wins in, but that might be because I'm in SCL7. I agree that it was nice to have something other than 3*s in the center space. If they run both concurrently I agree they need higher prizes in 4*, since it's likely those players don't need the 3* cover at 28/800.

I agree that 75 wins is too high for the last prize, but I'd feel better about it if there were something at 60. Grinding 25 more wins to get to that final prize just isn't worth it to me.

Static points is an interesting thought experiment. It would cut down on my sudden outbursts on the bus when I'm fighting for 900 and get knocked down. Then again, we said that the wins requirement is well-balanced to a point, and static points would just allow us to reach each prize quicker (I've regularly been hitting 900 in >25 wins), so wouldn't that by definition UNbalance things? I don't know, I'm open to being persuaded :)
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sim Mayor said:
    FWIW I play SCL7 because rewards just don't  increase commensurately with the extra difficulty in 8 or 9.
    SCL has absolutely no impact on the enemies you see in PVP, so CL9 is the same as CL1.
  • Jwallyr
    Jwallyr Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Sim Mayor said:
    FWIW I play SCL7 because rewards just don't  increase commensurately with the extra difficulty in 8 or 9.
    SCL has absolutely no impact on the enemies you see in PVP, so CL9 is the same as CL1.
    Which is its own problem itself, IMO. Though perhaps he's talking about the placement rewards, which DO change, since you're competing only against people in your own SCL for placement.