Exiled tokens can be fetched

Options
DBJones
DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
My opponent had a Varduk (sp? The red creature that summons tokens by the number of supports you have) out for a few turns. I got rid of it, and had Profane Procession flip into Tomb of the Dusk Rose (possibly different turns). Anyway, I hit one of the Tomb's activated gems… and got one of those elemental tokens, which exiled itself again at the end of my turn. I don't think you're supposed to be able to pull tokens out of exile.

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Its always been like that.  I agree it doesn't really make sense, but logically it is working correctly (since tokens are exiled when they die, and the card just pulls from exile)
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm not sure what happens when you kill a token with a bounce, but it doesn't go into exile that way. I did that to a Benzelok demon token, then the Tomb fetched the Benzelok Cleric token and another creature from earlier in the game, both exiled by Teferi's ultimate. This game really needs consistent rules…
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Paper magic once again disagrees, but then again, this is not paper magic per se.

In the case of tokens, once they would leave the battlefield, they simply cease to exist. That's different from "Exile", which is a zone where physical cards can exist (and from which, cards should not be easy to pull out of, or have any effects... otherwise it would simply become a second graveyard).

Coming with the same implementation in MTGPQ would solve a lot of headaches and possibly weird bugs and interactions.