Fix abilities that change match damage

Options
Jwallyr
Jwallyr Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
So I discovered in the Ghost PvP event that her passive actually changes whether or not she tanks colors (and incidentally noticed that applicable colors would be matched by Ghost, even if the base match damage would normally cause another character to match a given color). On the other hand, abilities like Thanos's purple don't seem to have any impact on which member of the team will match those colors, even if Thanos would do 200% (or whatever) extra damage, and if Ghost and America Chavez are on the same team and a large amount of red AP is present, Ghost still matches Red despite America Chavez's effective red match damage being higher (if her passive were being factored into the match determination).

Thanos's purple has been something of a laughingstock for a while, and even America's passive has failed to bump her in front if/when her match damage would exceed that of another character whose base match damage is higher. I assume that the way that Ghost's passive ability is coded causes it to be factored dynamically into determination of who matches which colors, and it would be a pretty nice change for characters with similar abilities ("increase match damage by _______") were dynamically shifted based on their effective match damage. Players might care to throw Thanos's purple and then match black (strongest color + 200% match damage) or whatever. It would be a stealth boost to a few otherwise unpopular abilities in what I consider a bug fix.

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Probably more of new technology than a bug fix. Okoye does this too, for Team-Up match damage, and I believe hers was the first.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Another one that always bothered me was Vision. So he gets a bunch of damage added to his matches with that blue countdown on the board... great. Of course, he's never tanking any of his colors...
  • Jwallyr
    Jwallyr Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm not sure how I feel about Vision's ability... since it adds a flat damage amount to all matches that typically grossly outweighs the base damage values for ALL colors, it would have the secondary effect of letting him tank every color (unless you're somehow running him really low level with high level 5s?), which I'm not sure is what the devs had in mind. Like, you DO still have to make sure that you're matching a color that he tanks to take advantage of the damage bonus.

For abilities like America's red, Ghost's blue, Thanos's purple, etc. the match damage is boosted by a percent, which is maybe easier to balance? The question being, was Ghost INTENDED to suddenly tank all her colors based on the passive? And if so, why can't Thanos tank his colors when his purple is boosting his match damage, same for America, yada yada.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I believe it is the way Ghost's ability is worded. Ghost ability activated before she makes any match, whereas Thanos's and America's abilities activate only when they make matches.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I believe it is the way Ghost's ability is worded. Ghost ability activated before she makes any match, whereas Thanos's and America's abilities activate only when they make matches.
    Right, but was that intentional because they didn't have the code at the time to do what Ghost and Okoye do? Or, if they did it today, would they do it the "new" way.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It seems like for the past few 4* abilities, they are centered around a certain theme.