How to earn and spend Mana Crystals as a new player?

Nyylon
Nyylon Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
Hi,

I started the game a week or so ago, mostly doing Story mode, trying to earn XP for my Planeswalkers, as well as some Mana crystals when I can complete the challenges.

I'm however not sure how to spend the (very) little I earn. I bought a new Planeswalker (Gideon) and one base collection boosters, but Mana Crystals seem very hard to acquire.

Do you guys have any tips on how to earn more and where to spend them? Should I buy more of the starter Planeswalkers, or just focus on boosters (and if so, stick to base collection or go for the expansions)? Right now my only income for cards are the free daily boosters and some random rewards in the "expansion tutorial" stories.

Thanks in advance,
Nyylon.

Comments

• DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    In the Events tab, Training Grounds runs every day, has unlimited tries, and gives you 15 crystals each time you win four (or more) times in one day (matchups are based on Planeswalker level as long as someone else has played one between your level and 10 more than that). Joining a coalition gets you access to more events. Quite a few events will give you at least some runes just for joining them, which helps for leveling Planeswalkers.

As to Planeswalkers, the best way depends on how you want to do things. Every story mode battle has an extra objective to beat it with every color of Planeswalker, which gives you 10+ mana crystals (mostly 10 for the level <60 battles). Getting access to every color is very nice for this reason, and for certain events. If you can stand playing just Training Grounds and getting the daily rewards for awhile, most of the two-color Planeswalkers are significantly better than the basic 50 crystal ones (Nicol Bolas and Huatli, Radiant Champion can get you the story mode color crystals in two battles, and are among the best Planeswalkers for virtually everything else as well.) Getting cards can wait until you have a few good Planeswalkers. The more expensive one color Planeswalkers are better than the 50 crystal ones, but usually need a better collection to really shine than the two-color Planeswalkers. Looking around on this forum should give you a good idea of which Planeswalkers to go for, and which to avoid.
  • TimeLion724
    TimeLion724 Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Best way to farm gems as a new player is to finish the story mode.

Origins Chapter 1 to 3, each chapter has about 2 parts each.

As you progress through the game you'll eventually farm gems to buy the new planeswalkers.

If you do buy any packs with gems just save up for the 300 gem packs, and once you spent about a year or so

playing you'll be far enough to start farming training grounds which will give you about 15 gems after you win the 4th

match.

• LordDorwin
    LordDorwin Posts: 78 Match Maker
    To the OP: You already did one thing right, and that is getting another Planeswalker.

What I did wrong and recommend nobody ever does is buy health potions with the crystals - alternating planeswalkers will help you avoid the low health problem without needing potions.

I blew all my crystals on this stuff (this was before the tutorial was improved) and also didn't know how to level up. Working that out and also noticing that the potions and health regenerate helped me. Wasting my crystals like this also prevented my buying another PW.

Also: Watch for the unlocking of the card mechanics tutorials in Story Mode. Do these as soon as you can - You get cards as a reward, which improve your collection (always important when you've recently started!).
  • greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2019
    Just my experience on this game, only need to really get about 5-8 plainswalker.  Ones I suggest are Koth, Kiora, Nahiri, Sarkhan Unbroken, Hualti Radiant Champion, Angrath, the Flame Chained. Now these are some that I also like Garruk, Ajani advarsery tyrant, Liliana defiant, Liliana the last hope, Gidoen defender of zendikar, Vivian Reid, samut untested and Jace unraveler of secrets.

Yes do story mode often.  Get into a coalition asap.  There are great benefits in being in one.  Doing training grounds every day.  First you'll be able to lvl up your plainswalker faster, get some Mana Crystals and  you can experiment which plains walker works best for you.

Lastly do all events you can.  Even at first you don't place well, you can c what type of decks other players use.