First Impressions: Dominaria

Options
Mainloop25
Mainloop25 Posts: 1,935 Chairperson of the Boards
Mythics

Darigaaz Reincarnated: Very solid creature, and tri-colored so it will end up in many decks, no idea what the token does, but if it is a copy of the original creature, it will be very dangerous.

Demonlord Belzenlok: Another pretty solid creature, good ETB, can help you get a leg up on your opponent.

Firesong and Sunspeaker: This can be a great card in spell-heavy decks, especially with Alhammaret’s Archive and Swarm Intelligence.

Forebear's Blade: Good card with first strikers/double strikers. It will be nice to have a good sword in standard.

Haphazard Bombardment: Not sure if this destroys the support or only the gems around it, but I suppose it could be a decent card in the right deck.

History of Benalia - Chapter 1, Chapter 2 : We’ll have to see how good a Dominaria’s Knight token is, but imagine it will be good if this is a mythic.

Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain: Draw a card, it gets 3 mana. Sound familiar? I suppose since you have to cast a Heroic card to trigger, it won’t be too broken. There aren't any really cheap Heroic cards that I've seen yet.

Jodah, Archmage Eternal. This one is interesting. Not sure if it’s good or not. You’d have to match colors twice to cast anything on your turn.

Josu Vess, Lich Knight: Looks like a decent card. Creating Leader tokens is pretty major, I think.

Kamahl's Druidic Vow: I’ll have to see it in action, but it has the potential to be really good.

Karn's Temporal Sundering: Also looks solid. Really fun with HUF.

Lyra Dawnbringer: Probably the best creature in the set, no wonder it’s an exclusive. I imagine they’ll sell a good amount of these.

Mishra's Self-Replicator: Also looks solid.

Mox Amber: Has the potential to be really solid, especially with Koth or anyone who can pop a lot of gems.

Muldrotha, the Gravetide:  Sounds like a really good effect. Will enjoy it while HOU stays in standard.

Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar Looks ok, has Reach so it’s pretty vulnerable.

Naru Meha, Master Wizard: This one is going to be really valuable. I can think of a lot of awesome things to do with it.

Oath of Teferi: Jury’s out on this one for me. Can’t tell just from looking at it what it’s good for, but if I ever pull it I’ll give it a try.

Phyrexian Scriptures -  Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3: This one looks really strong. Will be the sleeper hit of the set, I think.

Primevals' Glorious Rebirth: Looks like a de facto Deploy in certain decks. Looks fun with Vraska.

Thran Temporal Gateway: Looks amazing, as long as you have a bunch of good Heroic cards.

Torgaar, Famine Incarnate: Fun card, makes for a really strong splash of damage when it hits the board, depending on your stack of tokens.

Traxos, Scourge of Kroog: Not really a fan of the Can’t Attack cards.

Urza's Ruinous Blast: Might have limited use for me. I almost never use board wipes.

Verix Bladewing: Seems like a solid creature, nothing too incredible but definitely usable.

Weatherlight: Looks like a decent card, but I dunno if I would ever want to buy it.

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Commenting only on the cards I have :

History of B :
    They are good indeed. Lots of knights in several sets benefit from this card, but it's strong on its own.  I really enjoy playing it, too!

Self - replicator :
    Solid is an underestimation. I don't have enough dom cards to really make it shine, but it's a beast, reaching easily a dozen reinforcements. I have to hold myself back from just adding it to any deck, particulary since it's colorless.

M.. The gravetide:
    Your idea with HUF is nice, but won't work sooo good : huf fetches 4 spells, so it's normally at 5th place in the gy and can't be fetched (directly). But it doesn't need to, the effect is really strong with careful planning. Again, I have to hold myself back to throw it in every deck.

Naru Merah:
    Somehow it doesn't appeal to me in standard right now, for now I am not sure whether I like it or not. I should try some kiora or saheeli builds.

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,935 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @Laeuftbeidir not HUF, the set HOU in general. Self replicator would be indeed very strong with HUF/Historic spells. 
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Also will comment on cards I have:

Forebear's Blade: It's really good with quick creatures or tokens, particularly Rite of Belzenlok cleric tokens which can have prevent damage and defender.

History of Benalia - Chapter 1, Chapter 2 : It's good. You get 8/8 total body on board with one turn of 10/9 first strike.

Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain: Great card, but as you said, there really aren't cheap historic spells so it's not abusable (yet, but maybe).

Jodah, Archmage Eternal: I'm trying to make a deck work with him. Using Powerstone Shards, Day's Undoing, Overflowing Insight. The idea being that everything costs 6 so rather than try to get mana through matches, I'll just go for sources that give mana directly. The good news is that it works and once it's going it's amazing. The bad news is that it's delicate to get started. Cards in the deck I'm running (Karn): Antiquities War, Powerstone Shard, Karn's Temporal Sundering, Jodah, Archmage Eternal, Day's Undoing, River's Rebuke, Overflowing Insight, Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain, Kamahl's Druidic Vow, Danitha Capashen, Paragon.

Kamahl's Druidic Vow: It's decent, I think it has enough requirements that it won't be something that is easily abused.

Karn's Temporal Sundering: Amazing. Just a great card. You still get the extra swap even if you don't bounce a creature for anyone who is wondering.

Mishra's Self-Replicator: Total beatstick. Gets big fast.

Muldrotha, the Gravetide:  Really solid creature and ability, since it only pulls from the FIRST 4 cards in GY, you can't always get the same thing back unless your GY is empty.

Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar: Way overcosted for the amount of hoops you have to go through. I tried (and failed) at making a land support based deck (however, I may just be wrong, I'm assuming only supports that say "Land" are lands).

Torgaar, Famine Incarnate: Saprolings or Vamps, it's a nice burst of damage, but it does hurt to lose all those sweet tokens. Tendershoot Dryad or Legion's Landing have nice self sustaining synergy with this.

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Laeuftbeidir not HUF, the set HOU in general. Self replicator would be indeed very strong with HUF/Historic spells. 
    Oh, that makes more sense!
    Returning big converters to cast legendary cards is also not that bad ;)