Please nerf the Power Stone before release

Bowgentle
Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

Can you please nerf the Power Stone before you release it?

Whoever thought that letting a character fire an unconditional free skill whenever RNG feels like it must get along really well with the guy who thought giving a character unconditional free AP each round was a good idea.

Comments

• Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    That’s the first support I actually want.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    And people said there wouldn't be a Gambit level support and there's no reason to hold off on spending RISO.

• veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    I would prefer raising other supports at similar power level.
    Anyway, my worries are coming true - not only characters are lacking ballance, now supports do. Imagine them implemented into PvP that matches your OML + 5* Korg with opponents 5* Gambit + 5* f.e. Korg just because levels and rarities are same :D
  • geno685
    geno685 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Well it requires people to actually be able to get supports..................

also think of it like having mockingburd with you , but not
  • T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2018
    geno685 said:
    Well it requires people to actually be able to get supports..................

also think of it like having mockingburd with you , but not
    Nothing like mockingbird.  This has no conditions that have to be met whatsoever.  Just make a match with the equipped character and you have a 1/20 chance (at base level) at firing a power for free.  Get a cascade and your odds just got way better.

If supports get introduced into pvp, even at minimum level as many expect, this is outrageous.  Imagine fighting a Thor and this firing god of thunder on the ai’s first turn.

MPQ’s changes over time seems to be inversely related to magic the gathering (the physical ccg).  Mtg started with ridiculous mana ramp that would allow you to do crazy things in the first couple turns.  Eventually the designer realized this made the game less interesting and moved towards a smoother curve in resource progression within a match.  

Meanwhile, MPQ has shifted from gathering ap from the board to build up to your game plan to passives that just make things happen regardless of how you interact with the board (gambit, r&g, and the support in question).
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:

Whoever thought that letting a character fire an unconditional free skill whenever RNG feels like it must get along really well with the guy who thought giving a character unconditional free AP each round was a good idea.

Whole-heartedly agree.  Firing free powers is not something to be taken lightly.  Firing one because the supported character makes a match is insane...

And given the crazy rarity of these supports means that some lucky enough to get this particular stone has a huge advantage speed-wise over everyone else.  And add this to PvP... good Lord.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Orion said:
    Bowgentle said:

Whole-heartedly agree.  Firing free powers is not something to be taken lightly.  Firing one because the supported character makes a match is insane...

And given the crazy rarity of these supports means that some lucky enough to get this particular stone has a huge advantage speed-wise over everyone else.  And add this to PvP... good Lord.
    WRONG! Look, point is to release tons of supports, with few exceptionally good (sure, best skill will be unlocked after geting 5* or 4* rarity) ones among them, tons of weak ones (you cannot complain since you get RISO for duplicates) taking space. Then, you offer some tokens, either in vault (with 0,33% drop rate FOR ONE TOKEN *not the specific support* ) or directly for money or barely-free currency (CPs will do). Then, you just count your income.
    Next step? Similarly strong support (we can use 3 characters in one fight, right?), few (dozens) of weak ones.
    Or maybe nerf the strong one before doing the same MISTAKE (money-based insane strategy that annoys kinda everyone) again?

Or maybe its a coincidence... releasing 24 Supports with pretty much equal strenght is impossible. 

• Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    So you’re saying it was done on purpose so people will spend tons of money to chase this one support that they have almost no chance of getting?  Ok, sure, good luck with that.  Sure a few whales might have the money to do that, but most people aren’t that stupid and know the odds.  So as I said before, the small number of people to luck into a high-level power stone will have a huge advantage.
  • T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Orion said:
    So you’re saying it was done on purpose so people will spend tons of money to chase this one support that they have almost no chance of getting?  Ok, sure, good luck with that.  Sure a few whales might have the money to do that, but most people aren’t that stupid and know the odds.  So as I said before, the small number of people to luck into a high-level power stone will have a huge advantage.
    Don’t need a high level power stone.  A rank one powerstone will fire powers for free if equipped to a champed character.
  • Steel_Colt
    Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    T-REZ5000 said:
    Orion said:
    Don’t need a high level power stone.  A rank one powerstone will fire powers for free if equipped to a champed character.
    But a higher ranked one can be leveled higher, which means firing a free power will happen more often since the percentage will rise with more levels. Unless synergy perks are unaffected by leveling up the support. In which case, at 5% it isn't exactly game breaking is it?
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Power Stone is a great example of why I hope supports never go PvP.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it is any consolation, on its release only one in 5000 players will have this overpowered support ...
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    You got your wish.. they nerfed it by making it impossible to ever get it
  • jackstar0
    I've managed to win two seasons recently (late/lazy brackets), and I still don't think I'll ever get an infinity stone, but I definitely think power gem will be extra impossible.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    The good news is that you won’t see the 550 players who get one, anyway, so it won’t really affect your placement or anything.
  • jackstar0
    bluewolf said:
    The good news is that you won’t see the 550 players who get one, anyway, so it won’t really affect your placement or anything.
    It actually does... but maybe not how you imply.

People with this stone will have an even easier time walking through PvE, potentially locking out more folks from placing higher in those events. It's another of the rich getting richer scenarios.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Those 550s were already winning pve anyway. I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say that.

The people who can win a season bracket in scl 6-9 are already Top 10/T5 players.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    This isn't exactly OT, but at least some of the 550 rosters probably don't actually care much about winning PVE.  Of course, they could.  But the ROI of time/rewards is a lot better for PVP vs PVP, although hitting the top scores for PVP can obviously be time consuming.

PVP is for showing off your roster.  PVE is for building it up.  I don't see a lot of 550's at the top of the LB at the end of PVEs.  They're busy with PVP.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    T_REZ5000 said:
    This has no conditions that have to be met whatsoever.  Just make a match with the equipped character and you have a 1/20 chance (at base level) at firing a power for free.  Get a cascade and your odds just got way better.
    Did they nerf this already or am I reading this discription differently than the rest of you.

“Once per turn, when the supported character makes a match, there’s a 12% chance to fire one of their powers at no cost.”

Once per turn indicates that a cascade has no impact on how often this power triggers.  Either it triggers on your first match of the cascade or it doesn’t no matter how many matches they make in a turn.  Same with match 5.  It’s still the same turn so infinite loops like KK/Storm wouldn’t increase your odds of it triggering either, nor would it work a 2nd time till your opponent gets a turn.

And going from 5% to a whooping 12% is taking it from once per battle to... once per battle?  How many matches actually last 20 turns?  The name of the game is speed, and if your team is making use of this ability (even maxed) more than once, your not competing with T50.

Next, does it let you choose which ability to fire (and other relevant choices related to firing said powers)?  I’m honestly asking since I don’t have it to test, but I’m guessing that you don’t get to choose which power fires (like Colosus’ Black).  The only way to effectively choose what fires is to use it on a character who only has one active Power.

And finally, when a power fires makes all the difference of how effective it can be.  Let’s walk through a hypothetical turn where this goes off.  You make your match as per normal, taking one of your opponent’s down to <100 health (single match will destroy them), and now Power Stone triggers.  Guess how useful attacking or even stunning is going to be in this case?  Sure in some cases it can be useful (like when your own team is about to die, or that opponent was about to fire a Power), but I’d argue more often it’s firing at an inopportune time, squandering it’s potential.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,902 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pwuz_ said:
    T_REZ5000 said:
    This has no conditions that have to be met whatsoever.  Just make a match with the equipped character and you have a 1/20 chance (at base level) at firing a power for free.  Get a cascade and your odds just got way better.
    Did they nerf this already or am I reading this discription differently than the rest of you.

“Once per turn, when the supported character makes a match, there’s a 12% chance to fire one of their powers at no cost.”

Once per turn indicates that a cascade has no impact on how often this power triggers.  Either it triggers on your first match of the cascade or it doesn’t no matter how many matches they make in a turn.  Same with match 5.  It’s still the same turn so infinite loops like KK/Storm wouldn’t increase your odds of it triggering either, nor would it work a 2nd time till your opponent gets a turn.

You are misunderstanding 'once per turn'. It doesn't check once per turn (first match) but rather only fires once per turn.

So if you get a cascade and it doesn't fire on the first match, it has a 12% chance to fire on the 2nd one and so on. Once it fires, it can't fire again till the next turn.

So a cascade increase the chance of it firing a power for free.

It's huge because there is no cost and if you equip it to the right character (no one's putting it on Colossus obviously) it can be game breaking.

KGB