Are there any 3 stars I should have that I currently don't?

2»

Comments

• Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    pixiejazz said:
    kk3thess said:
    My case for Gambit: He gives Rogue covers.
    I had Rogue at one point. I didn't use her all that much. Had two moves for her, but I sold her after a bit for other 3* characters instead. But it's good to know Gambit feeds Rogue. Thanks!
    Selling 4s is not ideal to be honest, especially when they are as good as she is. You may not see it with only 2 colours and not many/any levels but I climbed with her very successfully against big champed 5* Thor/Gambit teams.

@spatenfloot I don’t know if you’ve played with her much, I’m guessing not. She may not be super-fast but she is lethal.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    pixiejazz said:
    kk3thess said:
    I had Rogue at one point. I didn't use her all that much. Had two moves for her, but I sold her after a bit for other 3* characters instead. But it's good to know Gambit feeds Rogue. Thanks!
    Rogue is one of those characters who isn't that great until well-covered. Once she is fully covered, she's easily top 10, probably top 5.
  • pixiejazz
    pixiejazz Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Rod5 said:
    pixiejazz said:
    kk3thess said:
    Selling 4s is not ideal to be honest, especially when they are as good as she is. You may not see it with only 2 colours and not many/any levels but I climbed with her very successfully against big champed 5* Thor/Gambit teams.

@spatenfloot I don’t know if you’ve played with her much, I’m guessing not. She may not be super-fast but she is lethal.
    I know Rogue can be really good, but I sold her in favor of 3* characters who were supposed to be good (IM40, Patch Wolverine, etc), and because it was suggested that I focus on getting more 3* characters to champ before working on 4* characters, and because she only had two moves and they didn't do tons of damage yet. I figure if I unlock 3* Gambit, maybe I'll get lucky and get Rogue back, and maybe I can get more moves for her this time around. We shall see.

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    You'll get her back eventually. Roster space is really tight up until you get solidly into 4* land, but if you keep plugging away, you can get ahead of it.
  • pixiejazz
    pixiejazz Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Update: I got 3* Bullseye yesterday and unlocked two more black covers for him today. I also unlocked Cyclops, so I got rid of Howard the Duck to recruit him. I also re-recruited 2* Thor to start champing again after getting rid of Quake. Also nabbed new covers for Scarlet Witch, 3* Spidey, Blade, IM40, 2* Magneto (he's slowly moving towards max champ level 144), 2* Wolverine (just re-champed him again), and Black Panther. Today was a good day!

• Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    If I might make a suggestion about your 2*s... instead of selling 4*s to farm again, decide how many slots you want to have for 2*s.  For me, it's 11 of 13 (not counting Bagman).  Your mileage may vary.

Right now, I have eleven 2* characters rostered, everybody but Captain America and Thor.  My Ares is at level 143, Daken at 141, and Bullseye at 140.  As soon as any of them hit 144, that character will get sold and Cap will get recruited.  Looks like I've got 10 usable covers just waiting for him.   I don't presently plan to change my number. Eleven works for me, and it's very simple to keep the farm revolving. It doesn't require many "little grey cells" to make it work.

Obviously I *could* just devote 13 slots to this farm, but I'd rather use the money for slots for 4* and 5* characters.  But the key is this: because 2*s are so plentiful, your farm will constantly be churning.  If you want to devote 8 slots or 11 or all 13/14, consider that number isolated and locked off.  If you sell a 2* to make room for Quake, only to end up selling her five weeks later to roster another 2*, you're creating incredible waste.

Don't forget that you're going to have 4* characters just sitting around idle until more covers show up for them.  They could sit around for months before you suddenly get several in one go.

(Weirdly, I had the 4* Falcon just sitting around doing nothing with one yellow cover, when we suddenly got three more covers for alliance rewards in that Galactus event and right at the same time, my 3* Falcon hit level 183 and I got a fourth, and now he's at level 115 and performing adequately in his essential node in Venom Bomb.)

The point is: the 4* pieces are long game, the 2* pieces are short term.  When they hit 10, 11, 12 covers, they are completely wonderful, but the path to get them there is very long and will have stragglers - especially the ones that don't have a 3* feeding them - waiting around for many, many weeks before they become usable.  My Riri Williams is *just* usable at level 127, and she's been there for about two months now waiting for a 7th cover.  Be *patient* and you'll find the roster building much more rewarding.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Here is my advice, and I’ll leave it here...if you genuinely want to progress in this game ever, stop selling 4*s.

Howard I get as he’s genuinely pretty useless, but the rest are all valuable as they allow you to access more rewards from Story mode.

Whatever you are pulling to get these covers, I’d strongly suggest you try to rein it in until you can afford more roster slots. They are the lifeblood, you can almost never have too many.

Good luck!
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you get more 4* covers in future there are some that are worth keeping even if they seem useless if you have space - these are the "invisible" covers. Prof X purple, Howard purple and I guess now can be added Black Widow (IW) purple. These one cover characters can win a Crash of the Titans. It isn't easy but it is possible, I did it myself with Prof X.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    pixiejazz said:
    Perhaps I'm misreading you, but you do know that the gold favorite stamp which gives you a Bonus Hero has no impact on what character you get from a cover?  It's an additional, second cover that you get approximately 5% of the time if you're opening one cover at a time.

That is, if you get a single 3* character, it could be any one of the 47 characters in that tier.  Then, about 5% of the time, the game will award you a second 3* character, and that's the one you control by favoriting which one you want.

Right now I have the Hood, of all people, favorited at level 211, because I'm chasing the red Ghost Rider cover, and that's his reward when he gets to level 223.

But in your case, yes, I would definitely favorite Strange and *only* Strange.
    I may have mis-spoke, if you will. I know having a character favorited doesn't guarantee a cover for them. I just meant that any time I do get a bonus cover, it's always someone else, like Daredevil (I don't mind, since he was my first champed 3*) or Luke Cage (also don't mind, since he has an amazing yellow move). I just wish I had a little more luck with Doctor Strange.

Also, good luck with Ghost Rider!
    Actually having a character favourited as a bonus hero and having ONLY that character at the applicable tier (tier 3 in this case) would guarantee a Dr. Strange cover, just not what colour you receive!