Roster Leveling - 5* Transition

ZeiramMR
ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2018 in Roster and Level Help
Hi everyone, roster at the following location but I'll try to TL;DR it for you: 
https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/ZeiramMR/

For the last few months, I've had a single 5 star Champion with Gambit. I held off on champing my other full-covered 5 stars because they were lower-tiered in the PVP meta and I didn't have extra covers in the queue anyway. But now that two OMLs dropped in my lap with the X-Force update and a Doctor Strange is 10 days off, I need to reconsider. Thoughts on where to level/upgrade my 5 stars from here, and who to pair with Gambit if I increase my MMR? Notable options are: OML (266K to champ), Green Goblin (262K to champ), and Strange (383K to champ), Black Bolt at 5/5/1 (214K to the cap at level 420). I've got about 1 million ISO to work with and my CP income is about 200 a week.

Side Question: Now that Supports are revealed as the new feature and it isn't something like expanded champion levels, is it worth keeping more than a single 3* dupe per character for farming? My Patch is at 266 in two slots, and GSBW is almost there too. I plan to hold onto what I have until after Infinity War as a just-in-case, but without a compelling argument against selling them I intend to start freeing roster spots to save HP for other purchases as my dupe champs hit max.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

Tricky, unfortunately. Dr Strange is probably your best bet for a Gambit partner, but he is not an ideal choice since he is pretty weak and an appealing target in PvP. OML and Goblin are bigger targets though. :)

I see your Medusa is 20 covers away from dropping a yellow Black Bolt cover, she might be Worth setting as a bonus hero. It might be Worth considering buying a third yellow cover for 720 CP just to get Bolt up and running.

• ZeiramMR
    edited April 2018
    Quebbster said:

Tricky, unfortunately. Dr Strange is probably your best bet for a Gambit partner, but he is not an ideal choice since he is pretty weak and an appealing target in PvP. OML and Goblin are bigger targets though. :)

I see your Medusa is 20 covers away from dropping a yellow Black Bolt cover, she might be Worth setting as a bonus hero. It might be Worth considering buying a third yellow cover for 720 CP just to get Bolt up and running.

Yeah, I've had Medusa as generally my only bonus hero for the last couple months (back when S.H.I.E.L.D. Training required the most recent character I would switch over to him or her for that week). You were the one to suggest that, actually.

I did manage to time when the OMLs would come in to be after the PVP that ends on the 25th, and am going to try to be through S.H.I.E.L.D. Simulator by then. I figure that should give me a little time to see how things change without blowing my progression targets.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Quebbster said:

I don't really agree with this at all.  Bolt will work just fine with Gambit at 5/5/1.  I agree with making Medusa your BH to feed him, but please DO NOT waste 720 CP on a yellow Bolt cover.

OML works well with Gambit, but his strikes get overwritten against Gambit.  Goblin works decently even though purple is locked out.  Strange is OK, but his health is too low to really be a PvP threat
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster said:

I don't really agree with this at all.  Bolt will work just fine with Gambit at 5/5/1.  I agree with making Medusa your BH to feed him, but please DO NOT waste 720 CP on a yellow Bolt cover.

OML works well with Gambit, but his strikes get overwritten against Gambit.  Goblin works decently even though purple is locked out.  Strange is OK, but his health is too low to really be a PvP threat
    Maybe I am letting my anal retentiveness about completing characters overshadow my judgement regarding Black Bolt...
  • ZeiramMR
    Quebbster said:

Either way, I wouldn't consider buying a 5* cover upgrade (at 720CP, at least) when I have less than 12 covers. There is some time since it seems at my current rate that might be five or six months to get Medusa to 320.
  • ZeiramMR
    I'll note that I have already seen a difference in the couple Lightning Rounds I tried, and will need to change up the way I played them before championing OML.
  • Quebbster
    ZeiramMR said:
    I'll note that I have already seen a difference in the couple Lightning Rounds I tried, and will need to change up the way I played them before championing OML.

Yeah, that was a pretty big change for me too. I Went from being able to Cruise to the top 50 with ease to actually having to be a bit tactical about when to play...
  • ZeiramMR
    Quebbster said:
    ZeiramMR said:

Yeah, that was a pretty big change for me too. I Went from being able to Cruise to the top 50 with ease to actually having to be a bit tactical about when to play...
    One bit of good news is that with the Patch PVP, any MMR changes are delayed until Fist Bump for me. (Though I did swap out my defending team in SHIELD Simulator as soon as I champed OML so it wouldn't be a 5 and two 4s against multi-5s.)