My character rankings (1* through 4*) [ Updated 3/28]

2»

Comments

• randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    I'm deep in 3* land, just starting to peek into 4*. 

A little surprised at the BWGS ranking.  Her green is really expensive, but with her purple, you can create a cascade of death.  I was running her with SWitch and Mags last night, it was pretty crazy once you either got Mags' red or BWGS' purple going.  Also ran BWGS, SWitch with boosted JJ...  Creating critical tiles with BWGS' purple resulted in JJ hitting like a freight train.

I guess I should use Fist more.  Well, I should use more of my 3*s more.  I just need to figure out more teams that work.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was running her with SWitch...
      Also ran BWGS, SWitch...

Which is why he ranked Scarlet Witch in the top 10 and GSBW much lower.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    Solid list.  This one is closer to my own experience than some of the others I have read (with the characters I've used anyway).  Good to see X-23 ranked fairly respectively as my vine is dictating that she will be my next champ.  In terms of 3s I would probably put GSWB just within the top 10...though possibly for sentimental reasons.  She was one of my staples in 3 land...mostly due to how much fun her purple is.  I wish there were more powers that allowed us to select that many tiles to manipulate.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu said:
    I was running her with SWitch...
      Also ran BWGS, SWitch...

Which is why he ranked Scarlet Witch in the top 10 and GSBW much lower.

If SWitch is 5, then BWGS should be right near top 10.  Just think 19 is too low.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    broll said:
    Things I disagree with from the rankings
    1. America should be higher IMO, probably 4th taking Medusa's spot.
    2. Peggy should be even lower than she already is, probably 15-20.  
    3. Rocket & Groot should be higher.  They are a one tick pony like Medusa (even worse) but they bring speed that she doesn't which is the most important thing to winning any mode of this game.  He should be 2nd IMO.
    I think America is too high. She's really awesome against PvE goons, but not as effective against PvE active opponents or in PvP (unless she's with champed 5-stars).

You think Peggy is potentially the 20th worst 4-star? Wow.

I'd like to argue with you about R&G, I really would... but I can't.
    No I think she's 15-20th best not worst... not sure where you got worst from.  She's definitely good, top tier even, but she's not Top 10 / Meta defining IMO.

To America it probably depends on your team.  With a 5* team she enables those 5* to match damage teams away quickly.  The same probably isn't true below that.  for a 5* tier she's one of the few 4* characters that might be better to bring than a 2nd or 3rd 5*.  (Valkyrie is looking like she might be in that same meta also).
  • Dormammu
    broll said:
    No I think she's 15-20th best not worst... not sure where you got worst from.  She's definitely good, top tier even, but she's not Top 10 / Meta defining IMO.
    That's what I meant. Sometimes my brain doesn't work too good. It still surprises me, as I rank her as the second best 4-star.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZootSax said:
    dokiy said:
    I’m going to say this again, Moonstone can do over 4K unboosted damage with her red. Granted she’s board dependent, but she’s not as bad as people think. Now if only D3 could figure out how to get her black to steal countdown tiles again without crashing everything....
    I felt I actually had her higher than most.  I agree she's not bad.  I just think others are good as well.  Love her has a tank, really like the black steal, and of course Red is the star of the show!

Personally, I'd put Moonstone as high as 7th, as I would generally choose her over Steve (the recurring stun is all he really adds, as his red damage is so pathetic), Torch (...I just don't like him), Carol (weak other than her black, as it's rare you wouldn't have a better red & yellow user in the tier), Wolverine (he's the third best R/Y/G in the tier, so I really never used him if he wasn't required) and Hawkeye (a one trick pony, even if it's a pretty good trick).  That said, all her abilities are extremely conditional, so I also understand a lower rating...especially compared to Hawkeye or Carol, whose powers aren't as conditional.

Speaking of Dark Avengers, I'd also put Yelena over Venom in the 1* tier (but no higher).  Sure, she's terrible, but her black is possibly the best black ability in the tier, so she could actually add something to a team.  In a purely 1* world, the unreasonably-nerfed Venom no longer can...which is a shame because 1* Venom/1* Spider-Man/any higher-tier true healer (especially Daken) was a really enjoyable team when Venom still had his insta-kill black.

Otherwise, for the 3*'s and 4*'s it's largely a matter of taste for the specifics, but I'd question how high Nick Fury is.  With the change to trap tiles, it's hard not to place him a half-dozen or so spots lower in my opinion.  While many of the other characters in that range are extremely niche (Quake, Spider-Gwen, MEH Hulk and even Ant-Man, who seems to have a little new life between his yellow's interaction with Carol & a tile-heavy meta) they're generally really good in that niche, while Fury does a few things decently but nothing particularly well.  ...and I say this as someone who likes Fury and had him as my second 4* champ.

Anyway, all that aside, thanks for keeping this list updated.  It's always fun to see other people's opinions on characters, if only to cause me to give them a second look.
    I like Moonstone (or any 2) more than Steve but I remember what it was like to be a 2* player and punch WAY above my weight class against goons who hit super hard by overwriting and stunning. Not fast but effective. Once you move beyond the tier he’s trash but simply rating him in the 2* meta he does something no one else can. Moonstone’s main draw is her hard hitting expensive red which is a staple in the 2* tier (Mags and Wolvie mainly). Carol I like for her Yellow creating crazy cascades (hello Hawkeye), and for her Black in a tier with some weak options. Good point on Wolverine. It’s hard because there are better options for his kit in the tier which should ding him some, but he’s also IMO just a bette character then those below him. I also don’t like Torch. I could see putting him below Moonstone and wouldn’t argue it, but having a guy with a cheap spammable red in a tier where that’s such an expensive power didn’t seem right.  Hawkeye is just a beast. He’s the RNG of 2*. Because of his reliance on teammates he’ll never be the best... but on the right team will just own (in this case Stormneto). 

You make a decent point with the Venom nerf but he still has a decent stun for the tier. And Yelena is SO expensive. He’s also got way more health so I generally find him more annoying to face than Yelena when up against boosted Dark Avengers. 

Fury I like for his Yellow actually. The stun + crits pls AOE actually makes it one of the better Yellow powers in the tier.  Maybe the best?  There’s Cage, Dagger, Nova, Cyclops. But really I don’t know how much better those Yellows are. Fury's should be T5 at the lowest.  And his blue can still one hit KO you despite the nerf. It’s still very strong. That’s two really good powers. And Purple is a better third power than many top tier characters have. I often find myself reaching for him when I need a P/Y user.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards

broll said:
    Things I disagree with from the rankings

4*
    1. Medusa is too high in my opinion.  She's a one trick pony reliant on one or both teams bringing special tiles.  She'd be 8-10 in my list.
    2. America should be higher IMO, probably 4th taking Medusa's spot.
    3. Peggy should be even lower than she already is, probably 15-20.  
    4. Rocket & Groot should be higher.  They are a one tick pony like Medusa (even worse) but they bring speed that she doesn't which is the most important thing to winning any mode of this game.  He should be 2nd IMO.
    5. Shuri seems high, I haven't used her enough to really speak to it, but that shocks me how high you put her.
    6. Gamora conversely is shockingly low, I would think she's 10-12 at least.
    7. Star-Lord seems overly high also, he seems low in the mid tier to me.
    3*

Swap IM40 and Strange.

Didn't pay attention to 2* and 1* cause idc those are just DDQ required farms.
    Medusa being 4-6 spots different than you’d have her isn’t bad. It’s just to meshe does way too many things well to be that low. She is one of few that I will bring to a fight unboosted and that’s because she’s the end-all-be-all counter to tile spam. And where a character like 3* Ock functions that way in his tier, Medusa can also be built around because she not only counters specials, but also works with your own. She’s purely support but probably best support in the tier. 

I could agree with America but again we’re talking 2 spots.  Playing her boosted in CL8 when she was featured I cleared essentially off match damage alone. I played her with Gambit (mine is L255) and watched her go nuts. It was amazing to do that kind of work with no actives. And because I weight them boosted more heavily than unboosted, that also helped her climb as high as she did. The problem is she is easy to counter and thus not great on D. Just outpace her on AP and you’re golden. 

I will agree Peggy is probably the most overrated in the game. Boosted she is still a beast though. Still one of the best in tier the way she can essentially shut down an entire team with her blue. I won’t be surprised to see her continue to fall in the power ranking. But not THAT low. 

Disagree with Grocket at 2 and here’s why. He needs his running mates to be effective... Medusa and Gamora. Without them he is awful. Medusa needs running mates too but works on way more teams and is the first person you target. Grocket is last. Without Gamora and Medusa he’s actuallu laughably bad. I use Rogue and (again?) Medusa to counter him. Rogue absorbs the strike damage, Medusa colllects the AP, and then you’re left with a weak character. His one trick is absolutely great in the right team but he can’t be #2 when all you need to do is match some tiles to neuter the raccoon. 

Shuri came at a time when I cracked a hoard so I Champed her almost immediately. Her big weakness is that a mirror match nullifies her (this is where I know descriptions would be helpful... sorry!). In that case, similar to Gambit, you let them cast red first since you both benefit from Foritfieds the same. Important to keep a stun handy in that situation because as long as theirs is stunned you get the +3 to AP and they get the -3. You then kill her with cheap powers.  Once she gets rolling it’s not hard to maintain 5 fortifieds on the board. Especially if you build around it. The green also hits like a truck and potentially has a nice stun. The other problem with her is you want all powers at 5. As she gives up something major with each build. Ultimately though the +3 AP cost for opponents AND a -3 for you can swing matches majorly. You have to be thoughtful of when to fire powers though. The fact that she prioritizes covering friendly tiles is a nice bonus when firing her red, btw. 

Gamora, has that nice stun as her main selling point (ironically a great pair with Shuri, though I like Iceman better), but beyond that her other powers are solid but not amazing. Especially those particular colors in the 4 tier. I could see her being a bit higher. But she’s not better than anyone in the T10 for sure. 

And Star-Lord is one I forget about but when boosted remember just how crazy he gets with that 6AP red punch your face off nuke. Also he speeds your team up which as you pointed out is huge. I knew he’d be a controversial one though. Also his yellow/purple make him great against goons so he’s great in both PVP and PVE. 

I cant give strange the crown. IM40 being able to fuel 2-3 very important colors as much as he does for as cheap as he does while also being super tanky (while strange is super squishy)... I just can’t. 
  • Dormammu

If SWitch is 5, then BWGS should be right near top 10.  Just think 19 is too low.
    If you want to fuel a purple user, bring switch. That statement continues to hold true, even into the 4-star tier. She also has a big stun combined with AoE. Switch can act as a battery, a stunner, and an AoE nuker, all while self-synergizing if she needs to. Now add in the fact that her passive countdown is invaluable to someone like 4Carol and you have one of the most versatile characters in the game.

Yeah, GSBW can dish out the pain and she's a lot of fun when running Charlie's Angels (which again, requires switch) but that's it. That's as far as she goes. Anything she does, someone does it better. Her red tile clearing? The Hood does more damage for practically the same cost. Big AoE? Kamala does almost as much damage for 7 AP less. Black Panther does more damage for 7 AP less. Now, her purple power is somewhat unique and definitely worth the price of admission for the crits it can generate, but as a green AP generator it's dwarfed by something like what IM40 can do, and once again - Kamala can do something very similar for less AP.

GSBW is a good character, but she shows her age and has been left behind by a good chunk of the 3-star tier. She's like Thor in that respect. Yeah, Thor can (literally) drop the hammer and generate big damage - but he's too slow and needs an accelerator. There are a dozen characters like him in the 3-star tier, GSBW included, but there's only one person who can provide what Scarlet Witch can. She can provide support to a lot of teams, while damaging nukers like GSBW are a dime-a-dozen.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Pretty good list. Shows how many decent characters there are in 4* land, when a character I like is justified at 46. Since the "mostly accurate" thread isn't getting updated anymore, it would be cool if the threads could merge. This list with those descriptions. Aside from Pun Max, nothing else is too different.

4* Would rank higher: Cyclops, Spidergwen, Miles, Yondu, War Machine, Pun
    4* Would rank lower: Jean Grey, Mordo, Carnage, Deadpool, Moonknight

• ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards

Fury I like for his Yellow actually. The stun + crits pls AOE actually makes it one of the better Yellow powers in the tier.  Maybe the best?  There’s Cage, Dagger, Nova, Cyclops. But really I don’t know how much better those Yellows are. Fury's should be T5 at the lowest.  And his blue can still one hit KO you despite the nerf. It’s still very strong. That’s two really good powers. And Purple is a better third power than many top tier characters have. I often find myself reaching for him when I need a P/Y user.
    I like Fury's yellow, as well...I even liked the jankier old version of the power with all the colored AP requirements.  I like it better than the four yellow abilities you mentioned, but less than either Carol or Wasp's yellow...or even Ant-Man's when you're abusing the synergy with Carol.  That said, it I can't think of a better direct damage yellow ability in the tier.  

Regardless, we've probably both put WAY too much thought into whether a character deserves to be 40th or 45th on the list :)
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    You ranked the characters based on how they currently work for you or how they worked when you were in that tier? I ask this because I'm generally a 3* player and Human Torch is a beast. Should be at least top 20.