**** Hulk (The Main Event)****

Comments

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    3/5/5
    Wow, people seem pretty harsh about this new Hulk so far.

Mine is at 2/3/3 right now, im not finding him horrible or amazing either, he seems to be fine. He absolutely needs
    someone to generate AP for him so it does limit his potential teammates.

Purple is making 4 crits right now and by the time its usable, usually only 2 enemies left and all those crits can easily kill those 2, ending the match without leaving crits on the board. Its just so many crits that the damage gets quite high (use a 5* for best results of course).

Yellow is a grab bag power but its a lot of CD tiles and they are fortified which is a nice plus. The AP generation is quite high but random, doesnt hurt to bring a rainbow team. Add some strike tiles and the AOE damage is not as bad.

His green passive is all right, the tiles destroyed at the beginning can give you some nice starting AP or do nothing. The auto-match turn by turn can get annoying, not sure it helps more than it just annoys.

Even if you hate him, using him with Gamora/R&G on easy nodes is super quick. His passive on the first turn usually generates a match if not 2 so it ends up being a 1 click clear often.

• hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    I think he is a very solid toon, probably not top 10 but he will get lots of use, I do not have him leveled enough to comment on his green yet but I think there is great potential there on the right team, his purple is very good even though it is expensive and his yellow is scary if attack tiles are on the board.  C&D is a good partner to feed the yellow if that is the way you want to go, I really want to try him with Agent Venom and max his green just to see the cascades.  His purple is devastating, that alone will get him use.  He is a chaos character and a lot of people do not like chaos characters, you will see his fan base grow once people start maxing him.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    So I understand that it is early for many to have ME Hulk champed yet, but his yellow CD's continue to impress on my 1/4/5 Hulk.
    Once champed, I wanted to have totals ready for what we could nearly expect over the full 3 turn effects from all 5 CD's (assuming here that they all survive their duration):

Each of 5 CD's has the chance each turn to either:
    Gain 2AP  |  Do 540 team damage  |  Earn 993 burst health

Therefore, over the sum of all 3 turns, the average expected totals could be as such: 

Gain 10 total random AP  |  Do 2700 team damage  |  Earn nearly 5000 burst health 

This is quite impressive for a character who will already have a large health pool once champed, and his passive power may help to line up these yellow matches for you in the first place (yes it will, you hush!!). 

One would hope/expect that this AP gain nets you 1 to 2 purple AP, and that you've found at least 2 purple matches by the time you can fire his yellow power. Remaining positive, you should only need 2 (or maybe 1) more purple matches to fire his Gamma Powerbomb soon afterward. 

I've played ME Hulk with C4rol and 5* Daredevil due to DD's yellow being the strongest color and a passive. When the enemy team matched their strongest color we earned 4 (or 3) yellow. Planning to start with DD at less than 50% health meant that strike tiles would be added to the board immediately. Pursue yellow and black, and with Hulk's 5 CD's resolving, all strikes on the board are boosted dramatically. 

Have you been using him in some crazy teams? 
  • hopper1979
    Meh heal :)  He has a lot of HP so you can get a lot of mileage out of his meh heal.
  • Rick_OShay
    Wow that was fast!  I strongly suggest playing his CD's with a good strike tile maker. That team damage can be very good considering the other things they are doing as well.
    No love for the 5 crits? I do!
  • VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2018
    Reading through this thread, I see some  people fighting against the tide of negativity and theorizing that he might actually be good, if only they had him champed.  Has anyone proven this out and found a good team for him?  Rick’s 5DD/C4rol sounds interesting, but I dont think there were many other suggestions?

To my mind, his active powers are way too expensive and in 2 colors that don’t have a good battery in a single character I can think of.  His passive power didn’t seem to do anything but waste time when I played him as a loaner.  He seemed interesting as a crit generator for 5*s, but I think he was swiftly surpassed by America Chavez for that role.
  • hopper1979
    She is only "better" because she is more consistent, you are going to get a crit a turn if you manage your ap well, but you have to hoard to a certain extent.  Hulk, on the other hand, drops a bomb that is capable of one shotting any 4 and some fives if the crits drop well.  The issue is getting the ap for that bomb.  

I am one of those who are speculating but I think you need to build around his green and go for hording and cascades.  I actually think Chavez will pair well with him and I still think agent venom is a good 3rd if you are sticking with 4s, Bolt is an obvious five due to charged tile generation.  Unfortunately Hulks covers are coming slow due to the multiple releases recently.  I think he is underrated due to the perceived slowness.
  • Rick_OShay
    Yep, half-dead 5* Thor is amazing at collecting AP, board shake, and setting up match-4's. Played boosted ME Hulk at 2/4/5 with Thor and it was crazy. Since Thor is destroying/collecting 5 AP per turn in green, yellow, red, that leaves easy matches of purple (or automatic matches) on the board. The yellow built up surprisingly fast for Hulk, and of course you get to use Thor's green AoE. Hulk's passive swap meant even more shake and auto-matches.
    This left a spot for a red-blue-black user. Oh, hello there boosted Gamora!

Now since we can't rely on future boosted weeks together (which also included 5* DD!), I have been having good results with the previously mentioned team of St4r-Lord, 4* Grocket with ME Hulk. Minor board shake from Hulk, reduced power costs and random AP gen, along with huge strike tiles. Hulk's CD's do tons of AoE damage due to those strikes. There's no black user here but I rarely notice (unless against a C4rol or Vulture team). 

Another 4* team that gets pretty fun and efficient is ME Hulk, Mockingbird, Vulture. Earning a Hulk power for free is fantastic of course, and to dramatically increase your chances of this, keep Vulture airborne as much as possible (duh). If the enemy team hits a match-4, you have a 50% chance of getting a Hulk power chosen to fire since Vulture isn't available - and the other two have only 2 active powers each. 

**Don't forget, Hulk's damage component hits the enemy before the 5 crits are factored in. So, you can target an enemy that will be downed from the damage alone, then the crit damage will bomb the next enemy in line. It can be a great 1-2 combo KO. **

• VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2018
    I just don’t know.  I tried both of Rick’s recommended 4* teams in PvE today (4SLord/4Grocket and Vulture/Mockingbird).  They both won matches pretty handily, but in all those matches, it never really felt like I was winning because of MEHulk.  Grocket’s strikes did most of the work on that team (not much aided by MEHulk’s green) and Vulture did all the heavy lifting on his.  I’m not saying Hulk did nothing, and I did get a free Gamma Bomb from Mockingbird once, but for the most part, he was just kind of there.  And this is when he’s boosted (and the rest of the team is not).

It may be that both of those teams involve top tier characters that overshadow Hulk.  Or maybe it’s the goon heavy nature of EotS that’s making these matches end too quickly.  But my first impression is that Hulk isn’t terribly useful.  He seems like there should be some team he would be good on though, so I haven’t totally given up on him yet.  I’m eager to hear some other ideas, maybe I’ll try AVenom and rip up the board as suggested.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Hulk is 4/4/5 level 250. Still need a bit more Iso to champ and apply 5 covers on the vine. But even miscovered and underleveled he performed pretty well in a sim match (admittedly vs. Falcap, Wasp, and Gamora).  Used Mockingbird and Vulture (like others I think that’s his best pairing). There were plenty of Match 4s that all seemed to produce Yellow Countdowns (entire board was filled), and I did get off a powerbomb as well naturally collecting AP. He didn’t feel “just along for the ride” to me. He seemed intregal to the team. But I agree, everyone probably looks better with Vulture and Mockingbird. Any other 4* team ideas?
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don’t and probably won’t have Chavez Champed for awhile. Even though she’s only three covers away I’ve completely shut down opening tokens so I can focus on 3* dupes. With the exception of earned covers my 4s are going to stay where they’re at awhile.

I did try Rogue, Carol, Hulk (now Champed!) and won quite a few matches. The idea is Rogue can be a battery for several costly powers (Purple/Black/Yellow/Red) and you ultimately want to use Hulk Yellow to buff Carol’s strikes. I never once exploded (strange given the expensive powers) and at one point I was a match away from doing so, but I built up Purple, cast power bomb, the crits put me over the threshold and I was able to cast Yellow before the beginning of my next turn to circumvent exploding (not that I think exploding is ever that awful, it was just a fun game to try not to).
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    I would like to see that his green passive power does a match instead of a swap. Like Rocket & Groot. Then it would be more usefull. Now 90 % of the time the random swap does nothing.
  • hopper1979
    How many covers do you have in his green if you have all 5 you should see at least one match but if you are lower I am not surprised.  
  • OneLungDave
    OneLungDave Posts: 72 Match Maker
    I apologize if it's already been broughten up, but, are we referring to him as MEH?

GET IT?!?!

Because he's not as good as Gambit, and he's not as bad as Yelena, so he's somewhere in the middle. Or: meh.

WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE LAUGHING???
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    3/5/5

WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE LAUGHING???
    You're certainly not the only one...

Though I, for one, am laughing at whoever it is that thought this was a viable, desirable character. As regards MEH, I cry in sadness at the thought that I'll be forced to champ him eventually. He'll be at the very back of the line eating the scraps of my iso along with Electra and Sandman until then.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    I played a lot of MEH+Chavez+Mocking Bird and it was stupid fun but also pretty efficient. And my Chavez is level 94 (only two covers in her yellow, five in others). MEH gets you easy AP advantage and with the swaps and Crits it's just explosions everywhere. If Mocking Bird wasn't boosted, I would've chosen someone else, though her yellow fired often so she isn't a bad choice by any means. Vulture would've been good in theory but his countdown doesn't survive the massive board shake.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    I played a lot of MEH+Chavez+Mocking Bird and it was stupid fun but also pretty efficient. And my Chavez is level 94 (only two covers in her yellow, five in others). MEH gets you easy AP advantage and with the swaps and Crits it's just explosions everywhere. If Mocking Bird wasn't boosted, I would've chosen someone else, though her yellow fired often so she isn't a bad choice by any means. Vulture would've been good in theory but his countdown doesn't survive the massive board shake.

I followed your advice and used this team in SIM-- I have all 3 champed and it was so much fun...crits everywhere.  Mockingbird is a great teammate for MEH because his powers are so expensive.  Opportunist fired his purple twice during the match and it was awesome.  Thumbs up!
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    I've been playing with MEH/Chavez/She Hulk and it's been really fun and fast. She Hulk really helps get Chavez's crit generation going if the enemy team starts to pull ahead in AP gen, also helps that the green is stupid cheap at 6 AP so you can pretty much do it whenever needed.

Power of Attorney also helps in keeping the board moving and causing big cascades with all the crit tiles that are going to be out. Once again the upside of it being fairly cheap at 9 AP and sometimes can be used to prevent the enemy team from using crit tiles against you by either destroying them or forcing a match from being dropped down.

All that said, I really wish they would rework his yellow to be maybe 10 cost and cut out the healing. It's just too expensive at 12 cost for what it does and the healing is totally useless for how little you get. The team damage is lower than the healing, but at least it's damage that can work off strike tiles if you pair him with someone that makes them.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just champed him thanks to the recent PvE.  He was at 5/4/4 (well, 7/4/4 to be precise...) before I champed him.  Do people really get 14 purple or 12 yellow AP often enough to get him to use either of those abilities in non-wave fights?  Or are there AP reduction abilities that he needs to make him worthwhile? (I'm looking at you, Shuri and Star-Lord!)  I've got him at 5/5/3, but I think I've used his purple once in the event, and it was in the last level of a wave.  Boosted C4ge's yellow was cheaper, and was nearly a one-shot kill on just about any SCL8 enemy.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    3/5/5
    Just champed him thanks to the recent PvE.  He was at 5/4/4 (well, 7/4/4 to be precise...) before I champed him.  Do people really get 14 purple or 12 yellow AP often enough to get him to use either of those abilities in non-wave fights?  Or are there AP reduction abilities that he needs to make him worthwhile? (I'm looking at you, Shuri and Star-Lord!)  I've got him at 5/5/3, but I think I've used his purple once in the event, and it was in the last level of a wave.  Boosted C4ge's yellow was cheaper, and was nearly a one-shot kill on just about any SCL8 enemy.
    Boosted C4ge is hard to argue with... But, to MEH: I, too, just champed him +1 cover. I've been playing him 5/5/3 in Honor Among Thieves event with champed, boosted Mordo and America. I have found that his purple has been suprisingly useful and achievable -- maybe about once per match or every other. Mostly I haven't boosted with +2 AP, though I have a few times, for sure. I will say that I'm not convinced that 5/5/3 is best and it's worth playing around a bit with 3/5/5, too.