Update to Drax's Champion Rewards (3/12/18)

Comments

• ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2018
    JHawkInc said:
    ZeroKarma said:
    JHawkInc said:
    LOL. So let me get this straight.  4* SL doesn’t feed 5* SL.  Man this make no sense at all.  Do you just pull names out of a hat for this?  
    Acting like decisions you don't like must have been randomly pulled out of a hat is obnoxious.
    I think he’s pointing out the fact that Starlord does not reward Starlord. If I were to devise a logical feeder for 5* Starlord it would be....4* Starlord. Or it might be Gamora, his love interest. Or Yondu his father figure. 

Drax has a connection to Starlord, but less than the others. He should feed 5* Mantis or Ronin. Something like that.
    Contrary to the popular belief of these forums, you can express an opinion without being toxic about it. Case in point, many others in this thread have done just that. I get the overall sentiment, but it can be expressed in a constructive manner, and being hateful and mocking isn't necessary to get your point across.

Besides, it's silly to get up in arms about. The update says "Drax will give 5* Star Lord covers" not "Drax will give 5* Star Lord covers and 4* Star Lord will never ever ever ever ever get to do that." 4*s greatly outnumber 5*s, it would be plenty easy for them to have more than one 4* that feeds any given 5*, and it makes sense to rotate those out over time. There is no 5* Mantis or Ronin, and making Drax more useful by letting him grant Star Lord covers isn't a bad thing. Further, there's absolutely nothing stopping them from having Drax feed Captain America, and making Spider-Woman feed Star Lord instead (and I bet we'll have weird matchups like that before all is said and done, it won't all line up 100% perfect), so getting bent out of shape when the devs try to make a thematic link and don't do the one you want is silly.

So when the devs say "We're changing things so that you get FREE 5* COVERS!" and people go "UGH, not 4* Star Lord? Do you even know what you're doing?" the ungrateful childish whining irks me a little bit.
    Lol. What about my post was ungrateful or childish. And what’s so rude about asking if something was pulled out of a hat?

Seems like a major overreaction to a minor overreaction. At least we are staying on theme
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    StarLord is not fed by StarLord who is fed by StarLord. That's an odd choice.
    Should we flag the post as Abuse? Because that's what it feels like, @Brigby
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Definitely starting to consider the conspiracy theory that they are putting 5* prizes on those 4*s that get less attention (I.e. are champed on fewer rosters).  Sandy, [snip], drax, kp, etc. Is Eddie Brock venom next?  Or mr. Fantastic?  I suppose it's a nice reward for those vets that invested in the trash tier.  But it kinds sucks for those players who are not post-iso. Now they have to choose between 5* champ covers and a useful 4* roster).

Edited to reove elektra from my list.  I also note that while medusa, gamora, and vulture are all feeders and excellent, they were the first wave of feeders.  Since that time kate is the only decent 4* to be given 5* rewards.  Hardly conclusive evidence one way or the other. But I would not be surprised if demi is using this mechanism to boost champ rates for the trash tier.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    nycjonny said:
    R4G or Yondu might have been better choices. I don't see a lot of champed Drax out there. 
    so the path bad4* gives a 5* continues..... I' m slightly disappointed  :(
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2018
    I just champed Drax! I'm of the "champ 'em all" view, especially while the 5 star tier is unviable.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

Well, bummer. 5* Star-Lord is one of the few I don't have rostered, so I guess that's Another roster spot I need to cough up. My Drax is level 291 so I will only get one cover too.

At least I will have Star-Lord rostered next time he is essential in PvE... which hopefully is a ways off since he is the only Classic fivestar to have been essential twice already.

I really expected Gambit to get a feeder this time, but I guess I put too much faith in the old pattern.

• gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Thanks for the info Brigby, it's good to get a new feeder.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    Definitely starting to consider the conspiracy theory that they are putting 5* prizes on those 4*s that get less attention (I.e. are champed on fewer rosters).  Sandy, elektra, drax, kp, etc. Is Eddie Brock venom next?  Or mr. Fantastic?  I suppose it's a nice reward for those vets that invested in the trash tier.  But it kinds sucks for those players who are not post-iso. Now they have to choose between 5* champ covers and a useful 4* roster).
    The etc. you’re leaving out are vulture, gamora (two characters that are both recent and good) and Kate (also great). And you added Elektra to your list to help make your point, when she in fact feeds no one. Kind of odd. 

Fact is, some are good characters some are bad. People clamor for new feeders then promptly complain when they get them. Attaching a feeder to a bad character also may be their way of bolstering the excitement of pulling said character without giving them a proper rebalance. The value of a Drax- the weakest guardian in the tier- just increased for many players. 

Anyway, while I don’t particularly care about the 5 tier, thanks D3 for the new feeder!

• Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    I don't mind in some ways that its Drax. It's just that all the 3* through to 5* feeders need a refresh, to may everyone link better. Like, 3* Starlord should like to 4*, who links to 5*. Or 3* Thanos, should link to 4* Gamora, who links back to 5* Thanos. I would just like it to make sense!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Man this bums me out.  One of the 13 4*s I haven't champed feeding one of my lowest covered 5*s.  Would have preferred any other guardian:
    R&G L305
    Gamora L302
    Yondu L295
    Star-Lord L285
    Drax L110  :|

At least he's 13 covered and probably gonna be champed in the next month but, yuck.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Vhailorx said:
    Definitely starting to consider the conspiracy theory that they are putting 5* prizes on those 4*s that get less attention (I.e. are champed on fewer rosters).  Sandy, elektra, drax, kp, etc. Is Eddie Brock venom next?  Or mr. Fantastic?  I suppose it's a nice reward for those vets that invested in the trash tier.  But it kinds sucks for those players who are not post-iso. Now they have to choose between 5* champ covers and a useful 4* roster).
    The etc. you’re leaving out are vulture, gamora (two characters that are both recent and good) and Kate (also great). And you added Elektra to your list to help make your point, when she in fact feeds no one. Kind of odd. 

Fact is, some are good characters some are bad. People clamor for new feeders then promptly complain when they get them. Attaching a feeder to a bad character also may be their way of bolstering the excitement of pulling said character without giving them a proper rebalance. The value of a Drax- the weakest guardian in the tier- just increased for many players. 

Anyway, while I don’t particularly care about the 5 tier, thanks D3 for the new feeder!

Errors in my first post corrected now, thanks for pointing them out.

I do, however, stand by the thesis of my post.  After the first wave, the feeder 4*s have been generally weak (kate is the only decent one); it is plausible that demi is trying to boost the value of the trash tier.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    Definitely starting to consider the conspiracy theory that they are putting 5* prizes on those 4*s that get less attention (I.e. are champed on fewer rosters).  Sandy, [snip], drax, kp, etc. Is Eddie Brock venom next?  
    Next month Eddie Brock updated to provide BSSM covers.  
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Today some players were estimating that assuming we have a continued release schedule of 6 weeks between 5’s and 4 weeks between feeders, it will take approximately 192 weeks before all Classics have a feeder. That’s almost 4 years.  There’ll be about 55 5*s in game at that point. 

So maybe it’s not worth worrying too much about any specific 4-5 feeder relationship.  Somehow I doubt that 5SL would look any better in a field of 55 characters than he does today.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    My 5-Lord is 5/3/3 so the cover I get tomorrow will unfortunately be useless, but that also means he'll be finished off by getting my Drax to 320. Not impossible considering I tend to draw him at a noteworthy rate from classics, and I tend to get his 3* Feeder R&G from Heroics and Elites a lot. Too bad he's not really anything that special. Ah well, he will be the second 5-star that this new 4* star champion track system will let me finish; getting my Kingpin to 300 will finish my DD. Please keep rolling these out! 
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    sinnerjfl said:
    nycjonny said:
    R4G or Yondu might have been better choices. I don't see a lot of champed Drax out there. 
    That seems to be by design when you consider who they've picked as feeders recently: Sandman, Kingpin and now Drax...   not very popular characters.
    Vulture was airborne during this observation.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Drax at just over 290 means SL will reach 5/1/2 for me. As much as I would prefer Quill to be more balanced in covers, at least I won't have covers going to waste until 50 more champ levels (or an unlucky Classics pull).
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just can't get past the feeling that they are moving feeders into shield training territory. You guys like feeders? Start investing into those lesser 4s that tend to be champed last.

Even with good feeders, being able to progress to actually get those 5 star milestones is totally dependant on a tier that is so diluted you can literally go months without pulling a cover for them. Example for me, Kate. I champed her the week that vaulted ended and never pulled a cover for her. Got one from Avengers progression and I think one from a pull around that time. 

We really need a 3/4 token to help in actually advancing our 4 star over the dilution-based rng we currently have.

• axmoss
    axmoss Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
    at this rate, the next probable feeder will be:

War Machine feeds 5* Iron Man...
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nick Fury for Black Widow
    Mr Fantastic for Silver Surgery
    Falcap for 5cap
    Elektra for Jessica Jones

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards