What's the point ...

Options
Kresgwyr
Kresgwyr Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
edited March 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Almost 48h since the start, and we're barely down 55% for this session of Avacyn's madness ...

I already have more than 2x progression points, while playing careless (lost a node and a couple of objectives). There is no challenge but finding time to do this godforsaken grind ...

After the never ending debut of RTO last weekend, this is really becoming a bad habit.

[MOD NOTE] Edited title to remove word circumventing the profanity filter. [//MOD NOTE -bk]

Comments

• adman149
    adman149 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Seems pretty clear that Oktagon cares not about people’s weekends with these 70 hour events. And look....round 2 of RTO comes next weekend!!! So glad I’m no longer part of a top coalition compelled to play to completion. 
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It doesn't matter if Avacyn dies or not, there's a set expiration time for the event if her health doesn't run out, and the prizes don't change.
  • adman149
    adman149 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Options
    So the fact there is an “end time” makes a 70 hour event more tolerable than say, RTO, which was also a 70 hour event? Just want to get my facts straight here. 
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The difference for me is that AM is mostly fun to play while RtO is close to pure torture 
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Actually I think this is a much more tolerable event -- even with bosses that have super high health, the matches go fairly quickly (I'm playing 2 accounts and just cleared all 10 nodes in 70 minutes which is 7 minutes a match) and we can use our legacy cards (OMG - Deploy, HUF, AotSS, Gisela and the ponies -- INSANE) which we don't get to do in ANY other coalition event. 

Also -- for those who haven't been around forever, AM used to have 4 hour recharges and we complained when they changed it to 8 -- and I'm pretty certain we had one go from Friday all the way until a Wednesday until they finally shut it down. It was a long and grindy event. 

However it does not have kill x or more objectives facing creatureless decks OR finish with x or less life objectives -- AND it has either or objectives so lower level players can still be successful. 

IMO, AM is not only tolerable, it's well balanced and it's fun and I will play it for 3 days as many times as they offer it, gladly (and usually with 2 accounts like I'm doing this week). 
  • Kresgwyr
    Kresgwyr Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Ok. Just to clarify my initial comment ...

I like Avacyn, it's indeed a very nice event. But it's a coalition event. And coalition events are mostly what's keeping me in the game right now.

I don't mind the lack of progression rewards (even though I would'nt mind for more, obviously).

But by not being able to play for almost a third of the duration of the event, I feel like I'm letting down my teammates, and that's really annoying. 72 hours is imo way too long for a coalition event.

I'm almost feeling like these 72 hours event are much more difficult to play, than the pvp coalition events (which occurs  mostly during the week and for which I don't have much time to play, because you know, work and stuff...).
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Actually, I'm à bit twisted. A72h AM is better than no AM, but I don't like any event that is that long. I also like eating pizza, but for three days straight.. Well, bad example. I like sleeping, but not for three days in a row. Also, it again feels repetitive. We've got so many events.. But don't see them anymore.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kresgwyr said:
    Ok. Just to clarify my initial comment ...

I like Avacyn, it's indeed a very nice event. But it's a coalition event. And coalition events are mostly what's keeping me in the game right now.

I don't mind the lack of progression rewards (even though I would'nt mind for more, obviously).

But by not being able to play for almost a third of the duration of the event, I feel like I'm letting down my teammates, and that's really annoying. 72 hours is imo way too long for a coalition event.

I'm almost feeling like these 72 hours event are much more difficult to play, than the pvp coalition events (which occurs  mostly during the week and for which I don't have much time to play, because you know, work and stuff...).
    The great thing about Avacyn's Madness is that you aren't restricted.  You can play your most viscous decks, beat the heck out of the AI, and feel proud of yourself as you grab those rewards (which aren't too difficult for even beginner players to partake in).

(Bolding because I cannot emphasize this enough): Avacyn's Madness, in my opinion, is one of the best events ever made in this game.

Reasons being:

1) Achievable objectives: Take 15 or less damage or take 45 or more damage.  You can't get them both, so less pressure on you as a completionist player, but you can (unless you're really unlucky and hit that small gap in the middle) get at least 1 of them.

2) You can use any card!  This is great for new players to get creative with their card collections, and veteran players to bring out those old decks that've been collecting dust since Standard was introduced to mtgpq.  I can only see positives with this.

3) Soooo many nodes!  There's actually a gradual progression of power in this event.  So everyone from beginners to intermediate players to experts all get a decent challenge.  The other event similar to this goes from kinda easy to fairly difficult to not-so-fun-difficult with little inbetween.

4) Zombies, Vampires, Big Spiders, Ghosts, Leviathans, Possessed Angels.  Wide variety of fun different monsters to fight.  Not just Bolas's minions, Rebels against Bolas, more Bolas's minions, Bolas himself.

5) Easy to complete, not time consuming.  Being able to use any card means that most events (with a decently built deck) take only ~5 minutes (or less) to complete.  You get to jump in, have a quick round of battling fun, and then go do other things with your weekend; best of both worlds!

6) We all get the same rewards in the end.  You can't kill Avacyn (and there's no bonus if you did).  It's fun to see how much damage you can do in taking down her HP %, but it's also good to know there's no pressure or obligation to do so for the rewards.

I hope Octagon makes more events in the future like Avacyn's Madness. :)
  • joerginger
    joerginger Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Actually, I'm à bit twisted. A72h AM is better than no AM, but I don't like any event that is that long. I also like eating pizza, but for three days straight.. Well, bad example. I like sleeping, but not for three days in a row. Also, it again feels repetitive. We've got so many events.. But don't see them anymore.

No coaltion event ever should run during work days. So the cut-off time or at least the last recharge should be some time on Sunday. By then the event has run long enough for most people who are interested to get the progression rewards.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The thing is your coalition should be happy with you doing progression, if they aren't then you need to change the level you are playing at.

Some people are _capable_ of being top 10 but their _life_, their time commitments don't allow it and that's fine.

You don't need to push yourself. Not at all, just change your expectations.

3 days is important because I have a family and I have a lot of things to fit into the weekend, at 3 days and not heaps of charges I can pick when I do them, if the time stress increases it might actually change to me not being able to play at all.