1* Team Hit by Dual Champed 5*?

TPF Alexis
TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
OK, first off, I'm not complaining here. These guys leave me Retal nodes that I can Megawhale for 75 Points a bit later in the event if I want to. I'm just curious as to how my Seed-clearing team of Loaner/1* Storm/1* Spidey with ~200 points is even visible to these rosters while being worth more than a single point.

Is it that the slice is so underpopulated at that point? Or is it just that it's such a quick match that it's worth it for even a single point? Or is a team with 200 Points worth more than I thought to someone high enough to break MMR? Or something entirely different?

Comments

• zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can’t explain how they see you, but I know why they used big guns on a bait team; they aren’t fooled by bait teams and don’t want to lose huge points to weak attacks after making a long climb. And what you actually use doesn’t mean only others using 1*s will see you. If you have and use 4*s, then you’ll show normally.
  • TPF Alexis
    edited February 2018
    OK, that makes sense. One more mystery of MPQ MMR made a bit more clear.

They're not actually bait teams as such, but I can see why they come across like that. I just like using my lower star level characters, so I clear the Seeds with 1* and then fight the Retals I pick up with teams as low as possible.

When I do hit back on one of these teams, I wait quite a while, usually to the next day, on the assumption that by then, they'd probably be shielded unless I somehow randomly hit them on a hop. No desire to snipe anyone or anything.

Mostly I thought it was odd because I never get hit by anyone remotely near my level when I do that. It's all either 1*-2* teams, or dual champed 5s. I would expect to get hit by higher level 4* teams as well, at the very least.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    When you get a high enough score, MMR breaks down a bit and you can queue weak teams. They are typically only Worth 1 Point, so their main use is to set up grill teams and then switch back to the main team. You probably got hit by someone resetting to their main team after grilling.
  • TPF Alexis
    Quebbster said:
    When you get a high enough score, MMR breaks down a bit and you can queue weak teams. They are typically only Worth 1 Point, so their main use is to set up grill teams and then switch back to the main team. You probably got hit by someone resetting to their main team after grilling.
    That makes perfect sense. I knew they could see me once they got that high, but didn't know why it would be worth even the few clicks to win the match. But if it's just to quickly reset their defensive team, I can totally see that. Thanks!
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Quebbster said:
    That makes perfect sense. I knew they could see me once they got that high, but didn't know why it would be worth even the few clicks to win the match. But if it's just to quickly reset their defensive team, I can totally see that. Thanks!
    Also one-move (or nearly one-move) iso farming. 
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    zodiac339 said:
    Can’t explain how they see you, but I know why they used big guns on a bait team; they aren’t fooled by bait teams and don’t want to lose huge points to weak attacks after making a long climb. And what you actually use doesn’t mean only others using 1*s will see you. If you have and use 4*s, then you’ll show normally.
    As far as I know, your mmr is determined by highest used team for the specific event. As Alexis mentioned clearing seed teams, i dont think better teams were used that event, so 1*/loaner mmr should be working for the event.

And therefor its most likely someone they broke mmr and are farming iso as said above..
  • TPF Alexis
    Yeah, at this point in the event, I hadn't used anyone above Lvl85. All the other Retal nodes I had were from 1* and unchamped 2*, about what I'd expect for the team I had used.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Its a weird part of the system, but as it costs only 1 point and as you said, gives a nice whale opportunity, I guess its pretty harmless. And the big guns love it, getting unlimited seed teams for easy iso and 1*/2* covers..
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm just curious as to how my Seed-clearing team of Loaner/1* Storm/1* Spidey with ~200 points is even visible to these rosters while being worth more than a single point. 
    If you cleared the seeds right as the event started, the MMR seems to really breaks down at extremely low levels at the very beginning of events.  So if you're climbing off of 6-10 seeds at the beginning, you're probably visible to anyone who also runs out of seeds, especially if they have you lined up in a node and do two other seeds first to finish those.   A 5* roster may have fewer than 200 points at that time, but also may not have another 5* roster for MMR to match them up with before you, making you a 25-45 point target until more 5* players enter the slice.   I have no actual facts that this is how MMR works, but when I tried playing events right at the start during the wins progression season, that's what appeared to happen, regardless of what team I used.  Regardless, as you said, it'll be a 75 point retaliation node soon enough...

• TPF Alexis
    That was something else I had thought of, the bit in the OP about the slice being so underpopulated that it kind of just had to match up whoever was there, regardless of what the MMR would normally be.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    So this discussion made me wonder, if it only uses the top 3 characters used within the event when matching up opponents, why do so many people regret championing 5*'s?  Seems like you could consciously decide not to use them in a particular event and voila, you get to play the 4* tier instead.
  • TPF Alexis
    So this discussion made me wonder, if it only uses the top 3 characters used within the event when matching up opponents, why do so many people regret championing 5*'s?  Seems like you could consciously decide not to use them in a particular event and voila, you get to play the 4* tier instead.
    Who you see as available targets is still determined by your entire roster. I only get to play in 2*-3* land as long as I keep getting hit by those teams and getting Retals. As soon as I'm actually looking for targets, I'm back in my usual 4* MMR.

Well, mostly. It does seem like it drops a little for the first couple of matches I play at 4* level, but not much. Maybe teams 10-15 levels lower than usual, but nothing that will let me drop back down to playing with 3*.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Who you see as available targets is still determined by your entire roster. I only get to play in 2*-3* land as long as I keep getting hit by those teams and getting Retals. As soon as I'm actually looking for targets, I'm back in my usual 4* MMR.

Well, mostly. It does seem like it drops a little for the first couple of matches I play at 4* level, but not much. Maybe teams 10-15 levels lower than usual, but nothing that will let me drop back down to playing with 3*.
    Okay, that makes sense, thanks!  Too bad it's not the same way for targets though...