Returning player looking for advice

Options
ddleejz
ddleejz Posts: 3 Just Dropped In

Roster: https://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=pq_tracker:7:19110379792859::NO::P7_USER_NAME:DDLEEJZ

Reward queue: https://imgur.com/gallery/rZXWM

Lvl 26

IGN: ddleejz

I'm a returning player looking for advice on my 2* to 3* transition. I'm wondering which 3* are the necessary builds early on, what exactly 2* farming is, when I should be hoarding tokens, and how to manage PVP scaling. Any other advice is appreciated as well. Thanks!

Comments

• talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I recommend to roster and champ all 2*s before spending ISO on 3*s. You will get champ rewards from every 2* cover you get after that and when a 2* champ hit max level you sell them and start over. Thats 2* farming and it is a great way to get ISO, CP, HP and 3* covers.

When you have all 2* champed move on to 3* land and set Dr. Strange as your only 3* bonus hero. He will speed up your clears in PvE alot! Another vital 3* you do want to have is 3* Iron Man. He is still one of the best batteries in the game.

Other good 3*s (in no particular order):

Kamala Khan - Good AoE, Healing
    Luke Cage - Good nuke, will save Health packs
    Iron Fist - Guarante Attack tile, Good nuke
    Cyclops - Good Nuke x 2, generate red tiles
    Thor - Nice AoE, Self-sufficient
    Falcon - Good AoE, Health pack saver, ST booster
    Deadpool - Cheap red, Awesome AoE, Protector
    Scarlet Witch - Good AoE + stun, self generating
    Magneto - HP saver, good red and blue damage
    Blade - Great special tile maker, AP steal

There are other good 3*s but these helped me alot when i was in 3* - land.

Oh and about tokens, just open them as you get them as you will need the rewards to build your roster. Exeption is Legendary tokens, save those until you are ready to move to 4* - land.

And the one rule to rule them all:

ONLY USE HERO POINTS FOR ROSTER SLOTS!
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For my money, the two most important 3* are Strange (for his yellow), and Thanos (for his black). Other people call 3* Iron Man the most important (again, for yellow). Some others that are generally considered good to build your roster around include Kamala Khan, 3* Wolverine, Iron Fist/Luke Cage, Scarlet Witch, and Captain America*.

2* farming, you don't need to worry about yet. You get into that once you've maxed out your 2* Champs, and are at a point where you're rarely actually using them, because you have a solid enough 3* roster that those guys are carrying the load. Then you sell off your Lvl144 2* characters, roster a new copy, and build them up, Champ them, and promote through all the Champion levels again.

The full cycle has a net cost of something like 6K ISO per character per flip, but in return, you get a bunch of HP (these are your major limiting factor for a while to come. Don't spend them on anything but roster slots), Tokens, specific 3* covers, and CP (Just save these until your 3* are all solid and you're ready to start working on 4* in earnest). It doesn't seem like much at any given time, but it really adds up.

Managing your MMR for PvP basically comes down to keeping your top handful of characters at close to the same level. In your specific case, that means don't level anyone past 127 until a few more characters have caught up to that point.

Also, there's a roster tracker web app here that a lot of people use, if you don't feel like continuing to do your own.

*Don't be put off by how much his 2* version sucks. The 3* gets the balance right for him.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Talleman and TPF are steering you straight. Great advice from both.

ddleejz said:
    I'm wondering which 3* are the necessary builds early on
    There are a lot of great 3-stars. Iron Man (IM40) and Dr. Strange are absolutely critical. IM40 is going to speed you up with his yellow Recharge, and Dr. Strange is an auto-pilot goon killer in PvE. Otherwise all the ones mentioned above are great. I'll throw in Wolverine (Patch) and Daken as well.

ddleejz said:
    what exactly 2* farming is
    Wait to start Farming until you no longer rely on your 2-stars to win matches, BUT... you can start farming the 2-stars you never use (Cap & Moonstone are likely candidates). Once you have a decent stable of champed 3-stars to carry you (around 10 or so) and you no longer rely on your 2-stars its safe to start farming. Basically you just max-champ a 2-star, sell it, and start a new version to earn the champ rewards all over again.

ddleejz said:
    when I should be hoarding tokens
    Hoard your CP and legendary tokens if you don't have the slots to roster new 4-stars or 5-stars. If slots are not an issue, it's safe to open them. Start building them for the future but don't invest any iso into them until you're ready to move past the 3-star tier (ideally when you have all the 3-stars champed). Another problem you'll eventually run into is that you'll have all the 4-stars rostered and max-covered, but not enough ISO to champ them. Time to start hoarding again so you're not opening covers that will go to waste.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,184 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you plan to farm 2*s, I would recommend having all the 3*s at champion who get fed by that farm. That way you start compounding your interest on champ rewards, as it were. They aren't all winners, but Magn3to, Cap, Patch, Grey Suit Widow were all characters I used heavily in the 3* range, and Hawk3y3 can play up with the right 4* team no problem.