Who doesn't champ certain 4*s even if covers are on the vine

13»

Comments

• gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    I usually champ when I get full coverage of any character but I held off on Sandman for a while because I had 3 others that were fully covered or about to be fully covered. I've sold off 2 covers before I got him champed.

I have a 5/2/5 Agent Venom and a red cover on the vine.  If I get a black, I might not champ him yet because I hope to get a black C4ge from Civil War and champ him instead.
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Eddie Brock, Mr. Fantastic and FalCap are the ones I have avoided champing for a long time. I will have to EVENTUALLY champ them, but for now they will sit with my 9 unchamped 4s (Mr. F, FalCap, Eddie, Kraven, 4BP, Chavez-champ soon, Howard - not fully covered, MEHulk, Yondu - champ soon)
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Back in the day, I used to sell off Invisible Woman, Reed, Elektra, Venom, Carnage. Eventually these all got reworked and then I started to come around. Then they introduced champ rewards and I decided to champ them all. Now I think you should start a dupe clone 4* rather than sell it off for ISO if all other options have been exhausted
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    You should want to champ them all, but it’s understandable if there are better uses for your ISO right now.  I sold a bunch of Spiderwoman covers because there was always another 4* with a higher priority.  

Eventually I got over that hump, champed all vintage 4’s, and now every single 4 I get is useful.  The only exception is if I get a 6th in a color for a new character I haven’t fully covered (looking at you ME Hulk Yellow).
  • ChattyWhacker
    ChattyWhacker Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    I champ everyone even though they may very well be considered the worst of the 4 stars.  The only one I have skipped over in the past has been Devil Dinosaur though currently I am sitting on a larger collection of ISO lately because the majority 4 stars are champed and I'm not too interested in investing my ISO in the 5* territory as of yet.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    The old 4* I keep passing over is flaptain.  I have had 13 covers of him forever but when I have a choice between a latest 4* and him I typically go for the latest.  Right now I have extra covers for nico America and flaptain and can only champ 2 out of 3.  Guess who will be left out in the. Cold again.  Once the next 5* is in packs I might have a harder decision to make if my choice is Kraven or flaptain. I might actually go flaptain in that case and champ Kraven later.
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I've passed over Kingpin and Elektra a bunch of times. I might champ Elektra before Sandman? I just finished covering him a few weeks ago and have only burned one dupe on him so far. 
  • MarvelDad
    MarvelDad Posts: 1 Just Dropped In

I have 39 four star champ characters.  Every other four star except Panther and Kraven are at 13 covers.  Right now I have 2 ME Hulk covers sitting on the vine.

He's not getting champed.  I have about 300,000 ISO and I have five star Gambit and five star Thor sitting at 13 covers each and both are level 255.  Plus I have 4 three star duplicates waiting to champ.

I'd love to champ them all.  Anybody got about 5 million ISO they want to throw my way?

• LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    There are some certain 4*s that I just can't champ even if I have the ISO and their covers are going to go to that great ISO cemetery in the sky.  I just would rather save the ISO and wait for something better to come along.  So far, mine have been:

* Thing
    * War Machine
    * Kingpin
    * Flaptain
    * Gwenpool

Anyone else do the same?  Or are some of the above better than I give them credit for and should champ next change I get?
    Ahem.

Their champ rewards are all THE EXACT SAME.

Therefore, long-term, they all have exactly the same worth to your roster, regardless of performance.

And performance is always subject to change at any time.

Champ them all.

I understand that there is a long stage of the game during which choices must be made, but if you're letting covers rot based on your appraisal of the character's effectiveness, not base don available iso, you're making a terible decision in regards to your long-term roster growth.

Except that Kingpin gives 5DD covers 6 times so, no, they are not exactly the same.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    The only time I've skipped champing a 13-cover someone when I had an extra cover for them, was when I lucked into Blade's final cover and had to let a Mordo cover go to save three of Blade's.

You never know who will be reworked to be amazing. This is why my Riri is level 314 now. Well, that and she stalked me for months.
  • Ctenko
    Ctenko Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Huh, The only person I NEVER wanted to champ was Xavier. And then I did anyway because Free Rogue took him to level 210. (Can't abide a biprime.) And uh three of him coming up just randomly in like four days, So I did champ him. Now, everyone seems champable, Except Wasp and Nico. 

Wasp is my new Unicorn, and she will require far too much investment, so no matter how good she is, I'm never going to get the chance to champ her. And Nico... just seems like, Baglady levels of useless. I'm probably wrong about that though. But luckily while I am struggling with the idea of champing MEHulk already, Nico sits solidly at the three covers I earned for her in her prizing and progression reward. As I am about to start a hoard again, and no champion progresses to her, no covers appear to be in sight for her. Hurray?

I'd champ Flaptain though. He's garbage, but being level 270 gives you a CHANCE at beating his crash.

Oh no. She gave me a strike tile, I can't get rid of it, and there are only blue matches. Curse you Carol. 
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Well, have 58 champed with only Flaptain left to champ at 13 covers. So gotta champ em all.

Kraven, 4* panther, nico & MEHulk aren't yet at 13. It's a never ending journey.
  • STERLING21JJ
    STERLING21JJ Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    left with panther, kraven and chavez that need to be champed.  you have to champ them all.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are some certain 4*s that I just can't champ even if I have the ISO and their covers are going to go to that great ISO cemetery in the sky.  I just would rather save the ISO and wait for something better to come along.  So far, mine have been:

* Thing
    * War Machine
    * Kingpin
    * Flaptain
    * Gwenpool

Anyone else do the same?  Or are some of the above better than I give them credit for and should champ next change I get?
    Ahem.

Their champ rewards are all THE EXACT SAME.

Therefore, long-term, they all have exactly the same worth to your roster, regardless of performance.

And performance is always subject to change at any time.

Champ them all.

I understand that there is a long stage of the game during which choices must be made, but if you're letting covers rot based on your appraisal of the character's effectiveness, not base don available iso, you're making a terible decision in regards to your long-term roster growth.

Where did I ever say anything about champ rewards?  I actually like to use my characters and asked the question accordingly.  I know they all have the same champ rewards.  That was never the question.  I was just wondering if anyone had 4*s they purposely weren't championing based on limited ISO.

And, to be clear, if I had infinite ISO I would champ everyone all the time.
  • vinnygecko
    vinnygecko Posts: 241 Tile Toppler
    My intended non-champs have been:

War Machine (almost champed him, got to 255 and then ran out of time)

Venom

Agent Venom

Spiderwoman 

Mr Fantastic

Eventually I'll champ all of them, but these have been lowest priority for a long time.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pants1000 said:
    You should want to champ them all, but it’s understandable if there are better uses for your ISO right now.  I sold a bunch of Spiderwoman covers because there was always another 4* with a higher priority.  

Eventually I got over that hump, champed all vintage 4’s, and now every single 4 I get is useful.  The only exception is if I get a 6th in a color for a new character I haven’t fully covered (looking at you ME Hulk Yellow).
    I did the same thing with her during vaulting. It was a necessary decision in order to keep up with covering and Champing the better characters at the time. Eventually did champ here once vaulting ended, but I probably sold 10-15 covers in that period of vaulting.
  • Bleh5
    Bleh5 Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Besides the 3-4 new characters, the only unchamped 4*s I have left are Chulk, Eddie Brock Venom, Quake, Drax, Miles Morales, and Spider-Gwen. I've thrown away (or respec'd for XP) 5-10 covers for each of them because of more pressing needs (I.e., currently to champ Nico and 5* Thor). The plan is to get to them eventually, in the order that covers come in at. Can't say that I'd ever use any of the six if they weren't actually required. 
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    In the last couple months I've champed:

Yondu
    Lockjaw
    Winter Soldier
    Nightcrawler
    Vulture
    Mr. Fantastic
    Sandman

I've got Rogue and Kingpin ready to go. To get all this done and all the ones I've champed right before this most recent block I've had to sell 10 of my max champ 3*s. Only the non-negotiable four are left.

Iron Fist
    Doctor Strange
    Thanos
    IM40

I've only managed so far to rechamp three of the 3*s I sold in the interim. I got Psylocke to level 166 today but I lack the 7500 iso to  champ her. I've got one cover in the vine with more than a week to go so I'm fine there. I will champ each and every character period.  RNG has not been kind at all times. It was past day 1250 before I got my first black Kingpin for example. I've sold close to 40 Spider-gwen red covers now. My Miles is still stuck at 4/4/4 and I've sold at least 25 purple Kingpins. War Machine is also one cover away.  There just isn't enough iso but I've managed 49 4* champs. The rewards are too great to not do it.

• Hyposphere6234
    Hyposphere6234 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    I champion characters usually based on how the covers land, I don't really worry about whether people think they're garbage or not as I've seen plenty of reworks since I started playing this game. I only sell\redistribute a cover when the ISO needed within a two-week time frame to champion two characters is ludicrous.