Who doesn't champ certain 4*s even if covers are on the vine

Options

Comments

• TheHungryPet
    TheHungryPet Posts: 229 Tile Toppler
    Options
    People seem to rate Gwenpool based on her purple ability but I'm a huge fan of her green which hits like a truck. Purple has won me matches by selectively destroying rows/columns, the damage is just the icing on the cake. I encourage you to give her a try.
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My remaining 4's at 13/13 are Falcap, Ghost Rider, Howard and Dino.

And the 5 newest are under-covered.  

There are definitely 4's that I've sold covers for rather than champ them.  Sandman, Agent Venom, Eddie Brock, Electra off the top of my head.  

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There isn't a 4-star character I don't want to champ. My ever-present goal is to champ them all. Once I decided that, it's simply a matter of priority. I have my 'low-priority' 4-stars that will only get champed if...

1) I have a 14th cover on the vine
    2) I don't have a 'high priority' 4-star at 13 covers ready to be champed
    3) No other ISO demands are imminent
  • Team_Jacob
    Team_Jacob Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    I have never champed Thing, Mr F, Venom, spider-gwen,or Flaptain. I also don't have some of the latest 12 champed. I certainly plan too at some point, but it's never been the highest priority, and I'll champ a 3* that I'm cycling first. I've rostered Howard a few times, but have always sold him over roster spot crush.

Thing is at 209, and is definitely a candidate, but I'll wait until he's the best candidate.
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Sandman sits on my non-champed list. Sold probably half dozen covers, he’s just not worth it to me. Still sits at 13/13 level 70. Eddie Brock is also not champed nor is Spider Woman. Have had better options to spend ISO other than those 3. 

Like others have said, Gwenpool is worth champing and so is Thing
  • DieMyDarling
    DieMyDarling Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I specifically don't champ some, but not because I think they're weak, it's because I don't like them. I don't have a single version of Iron Man, for example. Yes, it's sub-optimal, but I just don't want to play as Iron Man.
  • FinnyMPQ
    FinnyMPQ Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm also in the "gotta champ them all" group. Never even thought about purposefully not leveling a character up. On day 1216 and only have 7 4* not champed: 
    Older - Drax, Spider-Gwen
    Newer - Nico, MEHulk, America, Kraven, P4nther

Part enjoyment, part compulsion...lol
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    FinnyMPQ said:
    I'm also in the "gotta champ them all" group. 
    Newer - Nico, MEHulk, America, Kraven, P4nther

Part enjoyment, part compulsion...
    This is my situation too. Just got my 13th MEH, but kinda feel we're back to the old 4 star rng where you really didn't start pulling a character until they had been in the token pool for a certain amount of time.

Confirmation bias sure, but it was a pattern for me that I only reliability started to pull covers for a particular character after 3 or 4 newer releases had happened.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    I think Sandman gets a bad rap. He was on my 'low priority' list and got champed due to some extra 14th covers coming my way and nothing better to spend the ISO on at that moment. Now he's on one of my shield sim climb teams and I use him a lot.

Many say the Thing is bad (I have yet to champ him myself, but only because I have yet to fully cover him - he's ever been one of my unicorns) yet he's awesome at countering the most prevalent 4-star team out there. So, Thing is good with 2 specific other characters against 1 specific team. That's pretty niche. But when that team is the ubiquitous Grocket/Gamora/Medusa I'd say Thing is suddenly pretty awesome/important.
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I´ve jumped on the "I want to champion them all"-train as well two months ago. Currently there are five 4* characters left to champion for me.

Classic: TA Hulk, Sam Wilson, Devil Dino
    Latest: Kraven, Panther (obviously)
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I put off champing Spider-Gwen for the longest time.  She hasn't aged well power creep wise (IMO her Yellow is still one of the worst powers in the game).

Also, I still have my Prof X at Level 210 if I ever want to run a Charlie's Angels team again, though that meta has sailed.
    I have a champed 5 Star Thanos, Daredevil, & OML for optimal PVE, so doubt I will ever need Charlie's Angels again.  But at least I have the option.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The 4* rewards are the most reliable entry path to both strengthen your 4* roster and progress into 5* territory.  If you want to specialize in a few 4* and just drive those specific ones as high as you can, it's your prerogative.  If you want to play the broad game and/or advance tiers, it's more efficient to champ everyone, eventually.  Usually it's more a question of whether you want to claim rewards as soon as you get them and deal with the loss while your iso catches up, or hoard and only spend when you can afford to champ.

I'm now happily post-iso.  MEH, Kraven, and 4* Panther are undercovered.  Every other 4* champed.  It took about 18 months between the first 4* champ and the final classic champ.  Daily play and very modest spending (a few months of VIP, a couple of starks on sale days).  The iso drive can go away if you grind at it enough.  You don't even need to be placing T10 regularly to do it.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    I think Sandman gets a bad rap. He was on my 'low priority' list and got champed due to some extra 14th covers coming my way and nothing better to spend the ISO on at that moment. Now he's on one of my shield sim climb teams and I use him a lot.
    Good to hear -- thanks, @Dormammu!!  I'm building him up now simply as I like the character (and have run out of champable metas!)  -- May I ask, who do you like to group Sandman with?

• Dormammu
    Options
    Marc Spector said:
    who do you like to group Sandman with?
    Vulture and 4Gamora. Get Vulture airborne and basically perma-stun the enemy team with Sandman and Gamora. Run Vulture with 5 in black, Gamora with 5 in blue & red, and Sandman with 5 in green.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd say the only one you're not doing yourself a major disservice with by not champing is Flaptain, though I am also in the "Champ 'Em All" crowd. He's just seriously low priority. He's long overdue for a buff, and as is he's just way too clunky to see any kind of major use. People use his 3-star version more than they than use the 4-star. My favorite part of him is his blue, but even that gets overlooked with characters who do it better, like Coulson & C4rol. Yellow and Red seem cool on paper, but any power that relies on opposing tile-movers not blowing your plans out of the water also seem tougher to pull off. 

The only 4-stars that I haven't champed, have been because "better" covers were on the vine and I was in an iso crunch. I've passed up on Mr F and Winter Soldier most frequently, though Spider Woman, Eddie Brock, Kate Bishop, and Ghost Rider have been passed on as well on more than one occasion. I was attempting to finish the 4-star tier and then move down, but 3-stars have hit 266 at an increasing rate, and more of their duplicates became fully covered with extras on the vine at a quicker rate than I care for. I've had to stop and focus on the 3-stars that have 2-star feeders, with Daken being the last one before I get back to Winter Soldier and Kate. Bucky & Kate are the last 2 4-stars with 3-star feeders that I don't have champed, so I can finally get a proper 2-star farm running again after these guys.  I'm pretty sure Flaptain is gonna be my last 4-star champ, both because of rarity of pulls as well as quality of the character. 
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Calnexin said:
    The 4* rewards are the most reliable entry path to both strengthen your 4* roster and progress into 5* territory.  If you want to specialize in a few 4* and just drive those specific ones as high as you can, it's your prerogative.  If you want to play the broad game and/or advance tiers, it's more efficient to champ everyone, eventually.  Usually it's more a question of whether you want to claim rewards as soon as you get them and deal with the loss while your iso catches up, or hoard and only spend when you can afford to champ.

I'm now happily post-iso.  MEH, Kraven, and 4* Panther are undercovered.  Every other 4* champed.  It took about 18 months between the first 4* champ and the final classic champ.  Daily play and very modest spending (a few months of VIP, a couple of starks on sale days).  The iso drive can go away if you grind at it enough.  You don't even need to be placing T10 regularly to do it.
    That's encouraging, to know there's a light at the end of the tunnel. 

I champed my first 4* (Medusa) almost a year ago. Can't remember the exact date, but it was late February. By the end of the month, I should have 48 or 50 4* champs, which is more characters than were present in the 4* tier when I started champing. 

As it stands exactly at this moment, I have 46 champed and another eight fully covered. That leaves nine who aren't. But out those nine, only Kraven and P4nther have fewer than 11 covers. I figured it up the other day that of the possible number of covers in the tier, I have something like 95 or 96 percent covered. I can't wait to finally be post-ISO.

Of course, then I'll need to refocus on my 3* dupes that will need to be champed and the 5* characters will probably start needing to be bumped up...
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I tend to champ everything, but when I have say 1 America Chavez and 2 or 3 Flaptains on the vine, Chavez gets champed first.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I had this mindset when I was in 3* land. I had zero interest in rostering Rags, Daken and Sentry. Then I learned that those gave a combination of Moon Knight and X-23, two of my faves, sooo I got over my dislike of them. Ok, not really, I still loathe Sentry.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    shardwick said:
    I had this mindset when I was in 3* land. I had zero interest in rostering Rags, Daken and Sentry. Then I learned that those gave a combination of Moon Knight and X-23, two of my faves, sooo I got over my dislike of them. Ok, not really, I still loathe Sentry.
    I carried that attitude right into 4* territory.  I never had any interest in rostering everyone (such as Rags & Sentry, as you mentioned), and made some rather draconian cuts on my poorly-covered non-latest-12 characters when vaulting went into effect.  While in retrospect this definitely has handicapped my progress, as someone who only does at most the 8CP progression in PVE and the 10CP in PVP, it probably hasn't really harmed my game experience in the greater scheme of things...   That being said, I immediately champ every 13 cover 4* I do have.
  • elko90
    elko90 Posts: 68 Match Maker
    Options
    Once I realised that I would never catch up to the iso needs I jumped to 5* land currently have 36 champed 4* and 15 fully covered 4* that only have as much iso as needed to finish their clash. Now 5* are a priorith for me if I have the iso I champ if not then I dont really care