Who doesn't champ certain 4*s even if covers are on the vine

Options
LavaManLee
LavaManLee Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
There are some certain 4*s that I just can't champ even if I have the ISO and their covers are going to go to that great ISO cemetery in the sky.  I just would rather save the ISO and wait for something better to come along.  So far, mine have been:

* Thing
* War Machine
* Kingpin
* Flaptain
* Gwenpool

Anyone else do the same?  Or are some of the above better than I give them credit for and should champ next change I get?

Comments

• justplainchips
    justplainchips Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think for most people the ISO crunch never goes away. I *want* to champ everyone but I can't. Even if the character isn't great the rewards are.
    Choices have to be made, which is a big part of the fun of the game. I have sold many, many 4* covers. I've come to terms with that. But I'm getting closer and closer to getting them all champed. Hoarding helps. :P

Lately I've been trying to champ the people who happen to have multiple covers rotting.
    I champed Venom and Flaptain recently.  Spending that 700k+ ISO hurt a little! But the LTs I got softened the blow. :)
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If I have the slot, I would recruit them all. I'm a collect them all MPQ player. 

Kingpin gives 5* DD as reward. I'm not sure if you regret it.

Who knows, maybe one of the 4* in your list will give 5* as reward in the future.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I would say 4* Eddie Brock, but then again I went and champed him.

If you don't have Gwenpool champed when she's boosted, you are missing out on a world of explode-y fun.

Champed Thing is my answer to the constant Gamora/Grocket teams in SHIELD simulator.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thing and gwenpool are worthwhile investments.

But I use to sell reed and Elektra covers all the time. Eventually champed them just to stop the flow. But my approach to roster development was always champ everyone in a tier then move onto the next.

Like getting 6th power covers all the time, I'm tinfoil hat in the belief that the coding favors that and maxed covered characters odds.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Champ em, champ em, gotta champ em all, puzzle quest. 

Too many good rewards to not champ some characters because you think they are bad.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I plan to champ them all, but 4 of the 5 you listed have been ones I've traded covers for in the past.

Surprised to see Gwenpool on there, she's pretty good with a super strong niche.

I within the last 2 months finally champed Kingpin and Thing.
    War Machine has been 13 covered forever and in no rush to finish him.
    I got my 13th cover for Falcap yesterday.  Also in no rush to finish him.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Gwenpool is actually really great, especially when boosted. Her purple is really useful if you’re willing to look up codes, and her green hits hard.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ultimately you want to champ everything - even the bad characters.  IMO priorities should be as follows:

1.) Meta-defining characters that are among the newest 12
    2.) Older meta-defining characters (I'm talking like R4G/Medusa/Gamora only here - not just really good characters, but truly meta-defining)
    3.) All other newer characters (last 12)
    4.) Solid vintage characters
    5.) **** vintage characters
  • sandalsnopants
    sandalsnopants Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Options
    1. Gwenpool is awesome
    2. I've avoided champing Eddie Brock and XFWolverine for better options.
    3. I'll eventually champ everyone when I get enough ISO.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kingpin, Drax, Devil Dino, Venom.  They're champed now, but I held off for a while. Usually with a cover on the vine but not with enough iso. If I have the iso I do it. I would have not champed Mr Fantastic when I did, but it came at a time when I didn't need to save iso for someone else.
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I've avoided selling a few 4* and have sold some covers in the past only because of the ISO crunch and I had other better characters to champ but always came back and champed everyone.  It took a long time but I'm able to save ISO pretty decently now. I'll be champing MEH in the next few days after that I'll only have Kraven, Howard and Black Panther to champ from 2* - 4* land and then I'll have to make the dreaded move to 5* land official.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thanks all.  This is great info.  Yes, I definitely plan on champing all of them but I am one cover away from being able to champ America and don't want to be ISO poor when it happens.  These boss events are horrible at staying ISO positive, IMHO.

If I can, I will go for GP and Thing and sell the others for now.  Again, appreciate the info.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ultimately you want to champ everything - even the bad characters.  IMO priorities should be as follows:

2.) Older meta-defining characters (I'm talking like R4G/Medusa/Gamora only here - not just really good characters, but truly meta-defining)
    5.) tinykitty vintage characters
    Exactly this.  I've sold much of the Fantastic 3, (though I finally champed IW and brought Thing to 209.  Plus, Reed is likely the next SHIELD Training candidate so he may get there too).  Basically, if it is one cover of a **** vintage 4, I'll likely sell it because by the time I scrap the iso together, I have something better down the pipeline. Kraven will be champed tonight (need 30k iso) to save 2 covers on the vine plus the one I'll get from Sim,

My unchamped 4s are (in order I'd like to get them) (bold = cover-maxed/can champ right now):
    1. Black Panther (priority 1 for obvious reasons) 6 covers
    2. Howard the Duck (Wonderful 4/4/4 spread.  Any two covers and the duck is getting champed! I want the trophy lol)
    3. Thor (I would champ but she's 4/2/a kabillion... sold... so... many... blue)
    4. Quake (I've sold maybe 2-3 of her to champ latests instead.  She's one I really want though)
    5. Spider-Gwen (11 covers)
    6. Thing (Sold many many of his covers, but will eventually come around and champ him)
    7. Mr. Fantastic
    8. Venom (12 covers)
    9. Ghost Rider (12 covers)
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options

5.) tinykitty vintage characters
    Pretty much this.

I don't mind tossing a single 4* cover for a character if there are other priorities or I expect to be pulling a bunch of LT's soon and thus will need the iso then, but otherwise, I champ them without a second thought even if I never expect to use them again.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm semi-casual so it takes me about 3+ weeks to get the 360k iso to champ a 4.  I currently have Sam Wilson and Eddie Brock covers on the vine and 250k iso.  I'm not sure I'll champ either one because I also have Nightcrawler fully covered and America at 11.  

I don't want to miss out on champ rewards, but I also don't want to waste 360k iso on a garbage character who isn't in latests.  It's a tough choice, except for Devil Dino of course.  That one's easy to ignore.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm down to 8 Non-champed 4*s. I have had all the ones listed in the OP for quite awhile.
    As others have said, every 4* is useful when champed, and they will eventually be an essential, so it behooves you to champ them all.  I let RNG determine my champ order. Once i had a 13th cover for anyone, I would stop pulling and build up the ISO needed. That's what made Flaptain one of my first champs. and why my Iceman is my only non-champed classic sitting at 4 / 15+ / 3.
    It frustrates me that I've sold 3 Blue Nightcrawler covers since the Galactus event, with another going in the trash today if I don;t get one of the other colors, but in the grand scheme of things, is just one step of many in the great MPQ journey.
  • Kjeldbjerg
    Kjeldbjerg Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My unchamped list: 
    Venom
    Elektra
    Xforce
    Fury
    Mr F
    Howard
    Dino
    Invisible Woman

And America, me hulk, kraven and panther due to lack of covers. 

If I ever get over to the Iso positive side, I Will do the vintage, but I dont see it happening anytime soon. Although with only 4 latest unchamped, Im getting closer.
    But even champed and boosted, I will never use most of those vintage. I still kinda regret champing War Machine, Winter and Awesome hulk.
  • STERLING21JJ
    STERLING21JJ Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options
    eventually have to champ em all:)