Fight for Wakanda feedback

Options
pony mad
pony mad Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
Yay, thanks for having a new pve!

that being said, its the first and last time ill play this one.

reasons:

The Nodes are annoying.Every single node either having Daken or Sentry Fighter, making fights boring as hell and eating through health packs like theres no tomorrow, especially the gimmick mechanic with aoe damage in the first round. Its no fun to play. I play a lot of PvE, but this one is the worst, by far.

Ive been playing MPQ for years and i still enjoy it, but imho, u messed this PvE up like a boss.

Comments

• Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I agree that it would be nice if the Dark Avengers would recruit a couple of new members for variety, or if it were the Masters of Evil - a bunch of new NPCs - attacking Wakanda.

That said, I am happy the devs made this one and am glad for a new PVE.  I also enjoy the one-on-ones between Panther and villains.  I've learned the hard way not to use Panther's yellow power against Kraven!  Also, I enjoyed the chance to fight Green Goblin in this story - nobody ever seems to use this character, so I don't believe that I've ever played him in PVP.

Not the best, but I'm glad for it, and hope we see more new PVEs down the line.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Options
    Thinking about it, this story actually got less difficult with each day.  It was day one, with the exploding tiles, that was the challenge.  Day three was not hard at all.
  • Rumakashi
    Rumakashi Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I found day three harder than day 2.

Day 1 was absolutely the worst, in this game, tiles that provoque an explosion and doing aoe damage are way too broken.

Day 2 except one or two times i didn't really notice the effect of the tile. Playing with medusa half the time in the "hard nodes" it was a positive to have those tiles.

Day 3, it could sometimes be really dangerous. When 3 or 4 tiles come together and are impossible to destroy, it could be hard. But since there is only one dark avenger each time and not the strongest ones it wasn't broken.

I didn't really like the fact that Dark Avengers were here, but i liked that GG was here and that there was the combination of sentries, goons and heroes, i prefer the combination than having nodes with 3 sentries.
  • pony mad
    Options
    Hard? no, of course not. This post was not meant to be a whiny "im too weak to clear this PvE" :expressionless:
    It was more about realizing that i did not enjoy it at all.
    In other Pve-events, the nodes felt quite different from each other, even though dark avengers appear almost everywhere, In this Wakanda-experience, every node felt just the same, just a bit higher level or just a sliiiight unit change. but 90% of all nodes are either sentryfighter or daken. Or both. And it always is the same:
    Match starts, sentryfighter destroys a column. endless 20-30 mana cascade for enemy team, several green matches, watching daken's passive trigger. 10 seconds later, the same over and over and over.
    Because waiting is so exciting, the Wakanda Gimmick-tiles drop then too and tick and tick and tick. It just didnt feel like fun to play and it was more annyoing than anything else. Wakanda is the first Pve i wont play again until its drastically changed.

Im playing Venom Bomb atm, which is much easier and which has almost no heroes or villains on nodes, just the Venomspawn stuff, but even they feel more exciting and fun to play and different on every node than an endless rain of daken and sentryfighter, spiced with annoying gimmick tiles.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Options
    There is one thing I really did enjoy about this event, and that's the themed Black Panther cover rewards.  I ended up with two.  I really liked this, and hope that the devs do this more often with new characters.  I know there are often ways to get the newest released character in themed packs or as PVP placement rewards, but I liked having this as a goal in the PVE's placement.

Perhaps when we see this event again a few months down the line, they could add a random Black Panther cover as a final level reward, similar to how Howard the Duck is awarded in Webbed Wonder?  They could even scale which version of Panther is available in each SCL, like a 3* in SCL 1-4, the new 4* in SCL 5-7, or a 5* in SCL 8-9.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Options
    pony mad said:
    Hard? no, of course not. This post was not meant to be a whiny "im too weak to clear this PvE" :expressionless:
    I don't believe anyone suggested that, Pony.  I merely noted that each day was easier - and that I took far less damage - than the previous.  Typically that isn't the case, and each day is a little more difficult, with a greater variety of enemies.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think that the Wakanda Event could be tweaked so it's less frustrating.  The exploding tiles could have a longer countdown, 5-7 is probably ideal.  I think the Shield tiles on the 2nd day are okay,  The AP Steal tiles is very disadvantageous to the player but not to the AI so hopefully you can find a better way to do it to make it more 'neutral.'
  • pony mad
    Options
    I think that the Wakanda Event could be tweaked so it's less frustrating.  The exploding tiles could have a longer countdown, 5-7 is probably ideal.  I think the Shield tiles on the 2nd day are okay,  The AP Steal tiles is very disadvantageous to the player but not to the AI so hopefully you can find a better way to do it to make it more 'neutral.'
    That would be a very good start. Then a bit more variety in the unit composition for the nodes and at least i might be satisfied already :)
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5 to 7 turn is way too long. 4 turn is ok. I think we can get other characters in instead of Dark Avengers.
  • pony mad
    edited February 2018
    Options
    ok, since they reworked some of the mechanics, i had another look at it again.

it feels much smoother now, but they did not change my main reason for hating it, so im still sad :expressionless:
    The nodes are boring, the unit composition too similar and half the time i watch passives activate for sentry bots and daken and the event-mechanic as well, instead of playing, which doubles the amount of time, i usually need for PvE.

whyyyyyyyyyyy -.-  no fun at all.   at least remove sentry bots or daken from this compositions
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What SCL are you playing? I'm having fun with 3* Carol and 3* Hulk. I'm either gaining AP due to 3* Carol's ability or i'm activating Hulk's black from exploding Tech.

If you are playing SCL 7-9, it might not work for you. 
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Options
    I can see how the Nico Minoru node would be completely maddening on Day 2 - the "stolen shields" day - if you are playing at SCL 7+, because Nico passively strengthens the shields which all end up in enemy hands.  It's like Moonstone's black power every other turn.

Because I took such a beating when we played this last week, I decided to do it on SCL4 this time and am having a ball. I'm playing with characters I don't use often and am finding this a fun, low-stress challenge.  I usually play at SCL-6, but I think Wakanda, like Hearts of Darkness, will be a relaxing event.  I'll just take it easy and enjoy using the parts of my roster that don't get a lot of playtime.
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I can see how the Nico Minoru node would be completely maddening on Day 2 - the "stolen shields" day - if you are playing at SCL 7+, because Nico passively strengthens the shields which all end up in enemy hands.  It's like Moonstone's black power every other turn.

Wow, I hadn't even thought of that angle...

I was looking forward to the shield tiles again, because I thought it was a fun challenge last time. Now I'm...well, I'm kind of looking forward to it even more, since there's a tinge of added desperation!

• pony mad
    Options
    im playing low on 7
    mostly using 390 OldManLogan and Gambit. its not like i have problems clearing the nodes, its just no fun doing so, compared to ANY other pve :/
  • Kmjakob
    Kmjakob Posts: 105 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I dont like this event and the nods are annoying as hell
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Options
    Okay, the Astral Plane story is incredibly weak.  Hooray, we've saved Wakanda from Osborn... except now we need to fight the Hood, Magneto, and Red Hulk on the spirit plane for some nebulous reason.  It's not even an interesting assortment of villains.

What would be awesome, the next time this event runs, is to replace this goofball day with a new NPC of Erik Killmonger commanding W'Kabi's army of goons and their shields.  That could be memorable.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My major gripe is the alleged "neutral" tiles were not neutral. If they were, they wouldn't have only ticked down on the enemy AI's turn, thus giving them all the AP from any cascades. Tiles that appeared from the enemy's match would tick down at the start of the enemy's next turn, and tiles that appeared as a result of your own matches would tick down at the start of the enemy's very next turn. So hazard tiles would appear on your turn and then IMMEDIATELY count down. Total ****.
  • SocAccPsyc
    SocAccPsyc Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    While I agree the Astral Plane story is weak, the actual enemy mix is SIGNIFICANTLY better (both in difficulty and variety).  A lot of that probably has to do with the absence of the terribly unbalanced Sentry Fighter.  I have not finished or even started several nodes in the previous subs of this Wakanda event due to the very frustrating and cheap enemy mix, but I will completely finish all the nodes in this Astral Plane sub.

Devs, please take note and fix the overwhelming prevalence of the Sentry Fighter and Daken in the other 3 subs.