80s/90s Marvel Artists - who would you choose?

Options
13»

Comments

• Killabee
    Killabee Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Oh, and why no love for Whilce Portacio? I mean sure Jim Lee was the greatest xmen artist, but Whilce would be a very close second greatest. 
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Other (You forgot...!)
    Borstock said:
    smkspy said:
    I'm sure if we had a worst artist poll Liefeld would get some love. Man he was bad.
    I can think of a lot worse, especially today where I see a lot of focus in making books look like a Looney tunes cartoon.
    I hope you're not bad-mouthing Skottie Young...
    I like SY, his art is too adorable not to like. I'm more like the art meant to attract hipster readers.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Other (You forgot...!)

I quite like this article on Rob Liefeld - https://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/4/21/2960508/worst-rob-liefeld-drawings.  Warning: the commentary has a lot of tinykitty, tinykitty, and indeed tinykitty.  Without the filter.

That's just an awful article. It reads more like 'i hate comic book art" than it does "I hate Rob liefeld art."
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Walt Simonson
    Steranko and Alex Ross, though Ross' Marvel work is limited.  The cover that they chose for OML  doesn't really represent Sorrentino's unique style.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Other (You forgot...!)
    Dormammu said:
    Kevin61 said:
    No contest......Neal Adams!  The absolute BEST artist to ever draw comics.
    Great artist! I never thought of him as a Marvel guy though...
    He did mainly draw DC but has done some Marvel work as well.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,628 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Dormammu said:
    I like Liefeld. His work on New Mutants and X-Force was fantastic and utterly fresh at the time. He inspired a generation of artists who adopted a lot of his techniques. Did he have his flaws? Sure. They all did. McFarlane, for example, couldn't draw a human face to save his life.
    One of the big problems with Liefeld (and a reason why a seasoned writer like Louise Simonson ended up frustrated working with him) was his total inconsistancy on the page. It wasn't unusual for Liefeld to do an establishing shot of a room with a round window and then the next panel Rob had changed it to a square one despite it being the same room. As it was hard enough to get pages out of Rob on a monthly basis it was normally too late to have them redrawn and so it went out like that.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Other (You forgot...!)
    Bill Sienkiewicz.

Compared to others, his art wasn't what you call "pretty" but it was arresting and interesting to look at.

• DAZ0273
    Options
    As for artists - I really like Jae Lee's style, if we get Cable then the cover to X-Factor #85 would be sweet.

I also think Mark D Bright is criminally underrated.

Also shout out to the poster who mentioned Paul Smith - his art really is so clean.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Other (You forgot...!)
    It is a little shocking that The First Mutant hasn't surfaced yet; I imagine it's because his movie licensing rights were so tangled up for so long (and still are? not sure). I wonder what the odds are we get Namorita from New Warriors before we get for real Namor?
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    It is a little shocking that The First Mutant hasn't surfaced yet; I imagine it's because his movie licensing rights were so tangled up for so long (and still are? not sure). I wonder what the odds are we get Namorita from New Warriors before we get for real Namor?
    Kevin Feige from late December 2017 on a Namor movie - "Let’s put it this way - there are entanglements that make it less easy. There are older contracts that still involve other parties that mean we need to work things out before we move forward on it,"
  • Anduinel
    Anduinel Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Other (You forgot...!)
    I know I'm forgetting so many, but...

Joe Mad
    Ken Lashley
    Bill Sienkiewicz
    Alan Davis
    Roger Cruz (I know, I know, but he got better)

• DAZ0273
    Options
    Alan Davis is an excellent choice - if we get Shadowcat then his Excalibur #1 cover would be awesome.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Art Adams
    DAZ0273 said:
    Alan Davis is an excellent choice - if we get Shadowcat then his Excalibur #1 cover would be awesome.
    Oh wow I totally forgot about Alan Davis. His work on Excalibur was GORGEOUS.
  • tfcrazy1980
    tfcrazy1980 Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Other (You forgot...!)
    @STOPTHIS, older bill sienkiewicz covers, moonknight, new mutants and......dazzler.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    John Byrne
    DAZ0273 said:
    A little Captain Britain/Meggan love would be welcome in my roster.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Other (You forgot...!)
    I'd take some more Jim Lee when we get that 5* Mojo

• animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    John Romita jr.
    It was a sad day for the misclick... that was supposed to be Mark Silvestri. Whoops.
  • JaGo
    JaGo Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    Best thread I’ve read on this forum in two years.

-JaGo
  • Anduinel
    Anduinel Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Other (You forgot...!)
    Much love for Byrne's 80's output too. I'd love some Alpha Flight in this game.