80s/90s Marvel Artists - who would you choose?

Comments

• STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Art Adams
    I went Art Adams just because I'm a fanboy. Off the top of my head, I don't think there's a Lenil Yu cover, which is a bummer.
    bill sienkiewicz
    Bill Sienkiewicz

Your list misses a lot of the major artists

Other is going to be the winner by a mile because of it.
    There's 2 Sienkiewicz covers. Medusa and 5* BP.
    Alex Ross on Marvels and Kingdom Come
    I was disappointed that we got All-New Angel, I was hoping for classic Angel with this Marvels cover.

658 Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Paul Smith. If you haven’t seen his work, he’s basically the opposite end of the spectrum from the original image guys.  His art is astonishingly clean, you might even say spartan, but every line is so meaningful.  Check out Silver Samurai vs Wolverine, from the original Madeline Pryor storyline, if you want your socks blown off.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,908 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other (You forgot...!)
    Mark Bagley. Definitely my favorite Spider-Man artist. I deeply regret getting rid of my '94 Amazing Spider-Man Fleer card collection. Appropriately the in-game covers for Carnage and Venom are his work. :)
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Other (You forgot...!)
    No contest......Neal Adams!  The absolute BEST artist to ever draw comics.
  • CyberVenom2001
    CyberVenom2001 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Other (You forgot...!)
    STOPTHIS said:
    I went Art Adams just because I'm a fanboy. Off the top of my head, I don't think there's a Lenil Yu cover, which is a bummer.
    bill sienkiewicz
    Bill Sienkiewicz

Your list misses a lot of the major artists

Other is going to be the winner by a mile because of it.
    There's 2 Sienkiewicz covers. Medusa and 5* BP.
    Alex Ross on Marvels and Kingdom Come
    I was disappointed that we got All-New Angel, I was hoping for classic Angel with this Marvels cover.

Such a beautiful cover! I love his take on Norman Osborne as well!
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,528 Chairperson of the Boards
    Todd McFarlane
    PorkBelly said:

Really?

At least he didn't give Cap dozens upon dozens of pockets:

https://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/4/21/2960508/worst-rob-liefeld-drawings

• Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,528 Chairperson of the Boards
    Todd McFarlane
    Rob Liefeld is the best

"Brodsky-— You're not the smartest
    Liefeld-- You're not an artist"

... now I'll have the song in my head for the rest of the day!

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Art Adams
    Kevin61 said:
    No contest......Neal Adams!  The absolute BEST artist to ever draw comics.
    Great artist! I never thought of him as a Marvel guy though...
  • Dormammu
    Art Adams
    Mark Bagley. Definitely my favorite Spider-Man artist. I deeply regret getting rid of my '94 Amazing Spider-Man Fleer card collection. Appropriately the in-game covers for Carnage and Venom are his work. :)
    I forget, is 3-star Spidey a Bagely cover? I love his artwork. It's funny, when he first started drawing Amazing I didn't like his artwork. But as time went on, I grew to love it.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Other (You forgot...!)
    I'm unironicaly voting Liefeld (other, you forgot...) as well. His art is not what you'd call...I don't know, classically good, but it had a dynamism and energy that a lot of "better" artists didn't have. It 100% captured the zeitgeist of the day. And y'all watch: in another 10 or 15 years, we'll be talking about The Rob like he was the second coming of Jack Kirby. Who else in those days was creating new household name characters rather than regurgitating old ones? Deadpool, Cable, surely some others lol. Domino I guess. Anyway, I credit his "spsh, I got this!" attitude being the reason I'm drawing today. You could definitely tell that dude loved making comics, and was having loads of fun with it. I wouldn't make those same art choices now, but I'd shake his hand next time we were in the same room. I say next time because we were in the same room once at SDCC 2012, but I was waiting in line to talk to Mark Wade who'd been blogging about some parallaxing web comics I was doing at the time. Probably should have gotten in Liefeld's line, since Mark and I never really did connect across the whole thing. 

In other news: i need to remember to write in Shatterstar to the next character request poll...
  • Dormammu
    Art Adams
    I like Liefeld. His work on New Mutants and X-Force was fantastic and utterly fresh at the time. He inspired a generation of artists who adopted a lot of his techniques. Did he have his flaws? Sure. They all did. McFarlane, for example, couldn't draw a human face to save his life.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Man, I only read comics actively when I was like 12-15 and I never really paid attention to the artist. Every once in a while I'd get a new issue and just be like "oh, huh, everything looks different now."
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't know the comics well enough to make an informed opinion, but I liked going on a little Google trek through the artists of the 80's. Really liked some of the Lee, Byrne, and Sienkiewicz art.
  • SlappyDingle
    SlappyDingle Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Art Adams
    I'm sure if we had a worst artist poll Liefeld would get some love. Man he was bad.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other (You forgot...!)
    I'm sure if we had a worst artist poll Liefeld would get some love. Man he was bad.
    I can think of a lot worse, especially today where I see a lot of focus in making books look like a Looney tunes cartoon.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards

I quite like this article on Rob Liefeld - https://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/4/21/2960508/worst-rob-liefeld-drawings.  Warning: the commentary has a lot of tinykitty, tinykitty, and indeed tinykitty.  Without the filter.

• Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Jim Lee by a country mile
    I was thinking the same thing
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy said:
    I can think of a lot worse, especially today where I see a lot of focus in making books look like a Looney tunes cartoon.
    I hope you're not bad-mouthing Skottie Young...
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Frank Miller
    Hate seeimg Todd McFarlane getting votes. The guy is a total piece of dung.
  • Killabee
    Killabee Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    If they came out with Namor which I'm shocked that there still isn't a Namor, should it be a Jae Lee cover or a classic looking Namor? I loved that Jae Lee cover.