Increase the number of weekly boosted 4* characters

jamesh
jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
We currently get five 4* characters given a weekly boost.  While this is the same number we had at this time last year, it is fewer when considered as a percentage of the full tier.  This means that a player entering the 4* tier will see less benefit from the boost list than an equivalent player a year ago.

We currently have 56 4* characters if you exclude limited and new characters (Devil Dinosaur, Howard the Duck, Hulk, Nico Minoru), so the boost list represents 8.9% of the tier.  From the look of it, there would have been 40 such characters in the 4* tier a year ago, meaning the boost list represented 12.5% of the tier.

This means we've gone from being able to expect a particular character to be boosted every 8 weeks on avergage to being boosted every 11 weeks, and the time is growing as more characters get released.

To get back to the same tier percentage as a year ago, the weekly boost list would need to increase to seven.  But even increasing it to six would be a welcome improvement.

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    I understand the idea but even increasing the number of essentials won't stop the fact that if Red Hulk is boosted the same week as Sandman.. guess who won't be used? I would rather they try to give variety in the boosts. Too many times it's the same colored characters. I'm not going to choose Thing over Rogue.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor

I understand the idea but even increasing the number of essentials won't stop the fact that if Red Hulk is boosted the same week as Sandman.. guess who won't be used? I would rather they try to give variety in the boosts. Too many times it's the same colored characters. I'm not going to choose Thing over Rogue.

Yeah, for me priority would be to mix up the boost schedule more than what happens now due to the introduction of new characters.

That way we won't get X and Y boosted the same week each cycle.

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you're in a position where you've got most of the 4* characters, then adding extra boosted characters won't make much of a difference to you in cases like that.  But you're probably also in the top 1-2% of players at that point.  I'd like to think the weekly boost system is intended to help a larger portion of the player base than that though.

For people who haven't been playing as long, they might pick Sandman because they don't have Red Hulk.  For players just starting to build their champed 4* roster, the question is more likely to be "are any of my characters boosted this week?".  It'd be nice if those players could start being competitive sooner (or at least as soon as they would have a year ago).
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,248 Chairperson of the Boards
    With Kraven, we are at 60 4’s, and officially a 12 week cycle.  3 months until, say, Grocket is boosted again. A season will change (winter to spring, I mean).  Any 4 is now boosted 4 times in a calendar year with a 1/3 more getting a 5th time.  But of course, more are coming.....

If you pick the wrong group of 4’s to champion (thanks RNG), you could have a lot of frustrating weeks.

A strong vote in favor of boost revision.